User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2
Are you talking about the tank farm near "The Q"? That thing has been there forever.... I thought they didn't use it.
Yep...that's the place I'm talking about...directly across the street!
I don't know too much about it other than I see tankers coming in and out at all hours and saw one roll over taking the ramp onto the I-15 north! Took days to clean it up! :shock:

He got his license in San Diego at Western back in 2000 but didn't go OTR as I was on serious medical treatment. He ended up going through ROP as a "refresher" prior to hiring on with GTI in July 2006. He had issues with his DM and then went f/b.

It seems you can make a lot driving tankers out here, but it's hard to generate a list of those or LTL companies...
Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown
It seems you can make a lot driving tankers out here, but it's hard to generate a list of those or LTL companies...
tbrown, go to the UPS website and look under the employment section for UPS Freight. Looks like they're taking apps for SD drivers. Try FedEx, ABF, Yellow, Roadway, USF Holland (or Reddaway out there on the Left Coast), etc. Just about all of em' want you to go through the internet these days.

Oh and good luck against the Browns or Titans next week! :lol:
Old 12-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Board Icon

Yall shouldnt have any trouble finding a good local job in the San Diego area.
Yall might want to get in touch with the LTL freight companies. (Fed Ex, ABF, Yellow, etc)

I would look into websites of local freight companies, and see if they are hiring in that area. The newspaper might also list some good local jobs.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-31-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown
Thanks for the info ColdFrostyMug... I see that you have your Patriot on! I was born in Mass myself and also have the USAF in common with you. I got out in '85 though...seems like a lifetime ago!

One issue that is on earlier posts re: my fiance is that he has an old criminal hx - 14 years ago to be exact. He has excellent references from all jobs, but that history leaves co's like UPS and FedEx out. Think he still has possibilities? In trying to research LTL in our area, I'm not seeming to get a list of any co's - just for potential customers.
Get it exsponged and its off his record.Its been 14yrs the wont have a problem sealing it or removing it. Best of luck Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Board Regular

Hi Tbrown. As a retired UPS feeder driver (retired 07/2007) from Southern California and a current fuel tanker driver (part time-I get bored easily) now in Northern Nevada, maybe I can help a little, although San Diego can be a little tough sometime to find a decent local job. You are correct that UPS will not hire a felon. Some may argue that point, but full time REGULAR employment is not usually an option@Brown for someone with a felony, sorry, but I didn't make the rules. You are correct about the the "tank farm" being in Mission Valley at the 15/94 split. There ARE several tank outfits that are looking (usually-I make no guarantees) for GOOD drivers. One of them is Keenan Advantage Group (http://www.thekag.com) formally known as Beneto Tank lines. There is also Cox and Poma Petroleum that operate out of that area. In addition to the usual LTL freight companies (Yellow, ABF etc. all have yards in the MiraMesa area), you may try Hansen Aggregates (a Teamster construction outfit)and or Vulcan Materials. Check your phone book. Current wages for a "new" fuel driver in your area are about $19 per hour to train and can go as high as $26-27 hourly after training. Health and welfare (pension-dental-medical) are usually included. Fuel drivers usually (but not always) work a 12 hour day 4 or 5 days per week. Nights and weekends are common, especially with no seniority. Fuel is no more dangerous than anything else. You keep your wits about you at ALL times and watch what you are doing. There is no room for error/spills etc. However, the consequences for being stupid with 10,200 gallons of fuel (or in MY case 19,120 gallons-Nevada bigger trucks/trailers/high weight limits) can be deadly for all concerned. Feel free to PM me if you need to. Good luck and Happy New Year to all. Oh and yes, Cold Frosty Mug is right-my pension ROCKS !!!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2
Tbrown...

Have your fiance swing down by Otay Mesa and see what companies are down there. He might get lucky and find a flatbed driver who does local work that he can speak with. Did your fiance get his license while in SD or somewhere else? If in SD contact the school and they can give references of local companies to speak with. Or....Call my old schools main office on Camino Del Rio South. It is called United Truck Driving School. They have a lady there that he can speak with.

Are you talking about the tank farm near "The Q"? That thing has been there forever.... I thought they didn't use it.

Atlantic Richfield (Arco gas stations) has a terminal down on Harbor Drive close to Nasco Shipyards, if he wants to haul gas.

Born/raised in SD I moved up by Temecula in 2000.

GO CHARGERS!

pb
I can tell you first hand, that nobody with a criminal history will be hired at ARCO. ARCO didn't hire ex-con's while they were a stand-alone company, and the possibility became even less likely when BP bought ARCO out in 1999. I had 14 years with ARCO, before I took the BP lay-off.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF RIVER
Does anyone know what type of pay a recent grad would make working for ABF after I finish their school??? I have a meeting next week with our local terminal manager. Just kinda looking for a heads up
i started with ABF as a City Driver out of school (11-6-07). i worked the docks as a casual for 3 weeks. then they sent me to their driving school in Ft Smith, AR for 4 weeks ( 11-26 to 12-21)( even though i had my CDL).
now im am scratching for hours back on the dock until i can get a BID.
that could take months or years. a guy that was hired a month before me already has a BID for graveyard dock/ hostler M-F.

ive yet to do a city route , but i dont care. i am a city driver and the pay is the same whether i run a route or load trucks.

i am 34 now. i should retire at 57 with a full pension if all goes right over the next 23 years. ( we'll see).

i would still take this job ANYDAY over working OTR. i just gotta grit my teeth and put up with the BS for a while until some of the seniors start dropping off over the next 5 years. and there will be alot that are retiring making my climb up the ladder go fast.

BOL, Mike
Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
Quote:
Does anyone know what type of pay a recent grad would make working for ABF after I finish their school??? I have a meeting next week with our local terminal manager. Just kinda looking for a heads up
i started with ABF as a City Driver out of school (11-6-07). i worked the docks as a casual for 3 weeks. then they sent me to their driving school in Ft Smith, AR for 4 weeks ( 11-26 to 12-21)( even though i had my CDL).
that could take months or years. a guy that was hired a month before me already has a BID for graveyard dock/ hostler M-F.

ive yet to do a city route , but i dont care. i am a city driver and the pay is the same whether i run a route or load trucks.

i am 34 now. i should retire at 57 with a full pension if all goes right over the next 23 years. ( we'll see).

i would still take this job ANYDAY over working OTR. i just gotta grit my teeth and put up with the BS for a while until some of the seniors start dropping off over the next 5 years. and there will be alot that are retiring making my climb up the ladder go fast.

BOL, Mike
Did you get paid for those 4wks? How Many hours do you currently work per week? I Finish school mid Feb With the teamsters training academy and I'm told ABF is a good union company.Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjollyrob
Quote:
Originally Posted by all18wheels
Quote:

BOL, Mike
Did you get paid for those 4wks? How Many hours do you currently work per week? I Finish school mid Feb With the teamsters training academy and I'm told ABF is a good union company.Thanks
yes. put up in a hotel for 4 weeks and paid 325 week per diem. they left a check for 325 at the hotel desk every friday. so far, its hard to tell about the hours per week. i got back just before christmas and new years. so, its been closed a couple days here and there for the holidays.

im a 40 hour a week person. but they could call me off on any night and call me in on my regular nights off. but it depends on where you work.
the other guy in training with me was from R.I. he works in the closest MASS. terminal to him. he gets lots of hours and O.T.
i would call ABF now and get hooked up with them. if you work in the same terminal as my buddy in training, you should do well in the MASS terminal.

Id be happy to share any of my experiences with anyone in training for ABF or as a City driver/Dockworker as my career with them continues
Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 AM

I spoke with the terminal manager today. He had reasonably positive news. Yes they would hire me same situation as you went through. And yes I will be Casual but - they picked up 3 larger new accounts starting in late spring, also some next day type work and there are a few soon to be a few drivers retiring. So I will just keep grinding away.