User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF RIVER
I spoke with the terminal manager today. He had reasonably positive news. Yes they would hire me same situation as you went through. And yes I will be Casual but - they picked up 3 larger new accounts starting in late spring, also some next day type work and there are a few soon to be a few drivers retiring. So I will just keep grinding away.
Great. i dont think you'll regret it. being casual can be hard to live on at first. but i think when the spring/summer comes, it will be O.T. city for me. thats when i will make it up and gear up for a slow winter again.
i have my eye out for ANY BID i can get my hands on. even if its graveyard. then i am guaranteed 40 hours even if they have no work.

looks like im only going o end up with 32 hours his week. but i did get 2 hours OT on sunday.

just keep you eye on the prize. in two years, i'll be making 22.+ /hour
acually it will probably be more like 24/hour due to a new contract coming up this april. full bennies and a pension. i understand ABF puts in $9 for every hour i work towards my pension.
I really dont know how you can beat a Teamsters LTL job in the long run.
we just got to get through the tough times at first.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Hey -

So since your working "part time" does that count towards your 2 yr commitment payback period? Or does that start once you get a bid? Personally I too think that in the long run the teamsters are about as good as it will get. I have a friend that works for UPS as a feeder driver hes been there for about 12 yrs. He does pretty well and is very happy with what he does. Just put up with a couple yrs of bs and then ---
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Hey all18wheels did ABF make you have your haz mat prior to your starting with them or could you get it once employed?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Board Regular

Yes, your casual time DOES count..Hang in there both of you. It IS tough to work your way up at a union house, but it will happen. Years from now when you are both enjoying your hard won seniority you won't regret it. I started out 32 years ago@UPS throwing boxes off a truck part time after quitting what EVERYONE said was a good job. I gritted my teeth, did the job and put up with a lot of BS. After 3 years I was on the board full time. Then bid into a package car, hustling my ass off with 20 stops an hour some days and a route supervisor I despised, in the heat and the rain. 7 years later I got a shuttle combo bid. Then bid a feeder run into Arizona full-time. The years seemed to fly by....All the while I made excellent wages and had great health and welfare, as did my family. (med./dental/vision/pension etc.) Eventually the "climb" was worth it. I retired last summer to the hills of Northern Nevada with an excellent pension and retiree healthcare. Every month when I get my pension check it reminds me of how hard those years really were. Would I do it again ? Yes, in a heart-beat. UPS ("Brown" to it's employees) can be a real PIA to work for as micromanagement reigns supreme, but I always try and encourage the "youngsters" to NOT quit a union gig and try and see the forest for the trees. It will get better. BOL
Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 AM

Thanks Feederfred!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Hey -

So since your working "part time" does that count towards your 2 yr commitment payback period? Or does that start once you get a bid? Personally I too think that in the long run the teamsters are about as good as it will get. I have a friend that works for UPS as a feeder driver hes been there for about 12 yrs. He does pretty well and is very happy with what he does. Just put up with a couple yrs of bs and then ---
what is the 2yr commitment payback period?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
Yes, your casual time DOES count..Hang in there both of you. It IS tough to work your way up at a union house, but it will happen. Years from now when you are both enjoying your hard won seniority you won't regret it. I started out 32 years ago@UPS throwing boxes off a truck part time after quitting what EVERYONE said was a good job. I gritted my teeth, did the job and put up with a lot of BS. After 3 years I was on the board full time. Then bid into a package car, hustling my ass off with 20 stops an hour some days and a route supervisor I despised, in the heat and the rain. 7 years later I got a shuttle combo bid. Then bid a feeder run into Arizona full-time. The years seemed to fly by....All the while I made excellent wages and had great health and welfare, as did my family. (med./dental/vision/pension etc.) Eventually the "climb" was worth it. I retired last summer to the hills of Northern Nevada with an excellent pension and retiree healthcare. Every month when I get my pension check it reminds me of how hard those years really were. Would I do it again ? Yes, in a heart-beat. UPS ("Brown" to it's employees) can be a real PIA to work for as micromanagement reigns supreme, but I always try and encourage the "youngsters" to NOT quit a union gig and try and see the forest for the trees. It will get better. BOL
WHAT is the 2yr payback period?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Board Regular

#1 i had my Hazmat already, but depending on you local terminals needs, they my let you get it while your working on the dock.
I understand that they will even send dock workers to get their CDLs if they need drivers and the dockworkers want to get their licenses.

#2 ABF sent me to training and invested money in me during the four weeks i was in Arkansas training. i had to sign a two year commitment.
but, i was told by some fellow employees that it would be hard to collect on if i leave before 2 years. i think its BS anyway, i already had my license. why should i commit to trining that they required me to have and wouldnt really help me if i leave for another company. but i doubt im going to leave.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 PM

The 2 yr commitment was explained to me like this - after you finish your own cld training school ABF will send you down to Arkansas for their finishing school. You must then sign a promisary note stating you will work for them for 2 yrs. If you leave on your own within that 2 yr period you will have to pay back a prorated bill for their school. Kinda bs if you look at it for the short term. But if you look way into the future it really doesnt matter.

The thing I dont really care for is there is no insurance until you get a bid and are taken off the casual status. Which could be a while. But rules are rules.

Hey all18wheels can you clarify the ABF will put $9.00 per into you retirement - is that on top of you union retirement???
Old 01-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The 2 yr commitment was explained to me like this - after you finish your own cld training school ABF will send you down to Arkansas for their finishing school. You must then sign a promisary note stating you will work for them for 2 yrs. If you leave on your own within that 2 yr period you will have to pay back a prorated bill for their school. Kinda bs if you look at it for the short term. But if you look way into the future it really doesnt matter.

The thing I dont really care for is there is no insurance until you get a bid and are taken off the casual status. Which could be a while. But rules are rules.

Hey all18wheels can you clarify the ABF will put $9.00 per into you retirement - is that on top of you union retirement???
The money they contribute goes into the general pension fund. Its not an account in your name. Sort of like social security. I dont know about $9/hr, last I heard it was like $220 a week. When you retire you draw a pension based on average yearly wage and total years of service. For most guys its seems to be to be $3000/month give or take but there are different payment options, which is common to most pensions. For example if you die your pension stops but you could accept a smaller pension with the option of your wife receiving your pension after your death. These are choices you wouldnt have to worry about until its time to retire, then they show you your options.