User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Calling all Canadians..... need a tip...

Hi, I came off the road after 13 mos. of OTR with Swift and currently drive for a manufacturer of mobile home supplies right now (been at it since September after leaving Swift). What I am curious about is if there are any companies currently recruiting Americans in Canada. Yes, I have run the upper tier of states (i-94) while driving the 48, and have spent some time in Calgary driving the streets in winter, so I have an idea of what I'm in for then. I'm interested in a firm that would take me on initially as the 'temporary' 2 year deal, with possibility of converting to permanent if I decide to either get married or go for a p.r. situation. Although I'm not relishing going back to OTR driving and getting paid by the km, I know there is probably a bigger chance of getting on doing trans-border work. Getting in and out of Canada is no big deal for me. Could get a NEXUS card and FAST card without much difficulty. Any hints or leads on firms that could get me working in Alberta? (g/f lives in calgary, moving to camrose in a few mos.) Appreciate any help. thx.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Calling all Canadians..... need a tip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindog
Hi, I came off the road after 13 mos. of OTR with Swift and currently drive for a manufacturer of mobile home supplies right now (been at it since September after leaving Swift). What I am curious about is if there are any companies currently recruiting Americans in Canada. Yes, I have run the upper tier of states (i-94) while driving the 48, and have spent some time in Calgary driving the streets in winter, so I have an idea of what I'm in for then. I'm interested in a firm that would take me on initially as the 'temporary' 2 year deal, with possibility of converting to permanent if I decide to either get married or go for a p.r. situation. Although I'm not relishing going back to OTR driving and getting paid by the km, I know there is probably a bigger chance of getting on doing trans-border work. Getting in and out of Canada is no big deal for me. Could get a NEXUS card and FAST card without much difficulty. Any hints or leads on firms that could get me working in Alberta? (g/f lives in calgary, moving to camrose in a few mos.) Appreciate any help. thx.
I'm not sure you'll get specifically what you're looking for. You might want to look up Westcan ( bulk hauling ), and Yanke....these are 2 companies that I know of off-hand who actually recruit drivers from UK & Europe. Talk to them to find out how things might work in your case, and whether or not they'll be willing to sponsor you for a work-permit.

I've specifically mentioned these 2 companies, as they're based primarily in the west, since your g/f lives in cow-town. Yanke hauls cross-border. Westcan hauls a lot of super b's....it would be nice if you have experience pulling those. However, the latter isn't quite a top-rung company ( their large size in western Canada notwithstanding ).