User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

They want you to leave the truck in a drop yard, but that always doesnt happen. My trainer always took his truck home and aslo my friend takes his truck home. I new a guy who took his truck home for a week vacation.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 AM

Ok, about training at May: My personal experience was that my trainer and I NEVER drove more than 14 hours a day combined. For the first few days, he drove the majority then I would gradually drive more and more until It was mainly me driving with him driving a few hours here and there towards the end. But again, we never went over 14 hours a day, not once. So, as far as that aspect goes i couldn't be happier. On the other hand, my trainer was basically a slob. The truck was dirty, he dipped, which I normally don't have a problem with, but he'd fall asleep from time to time and start choaking on some saliva he'd swallow while sleeping and cough it up all over his shirt. We get rolling the next day and he'd wear the same shirt. There were other things about his personal hygene but I won't bother y'all with those details.

I've talked to other people with May and they've had completely different experiences. (team driving, etc)

So, the point is that no matter what company you go with there'll be good trainers, and bad. I had a great experience other than the cleanliness issue. Other than that my trainer was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Make sure you ask your trainer (whoever you go with) to fully explain that companies qualcomm system, how they handle tolls, scale tickets, dot tickets, what you do with your truck during home time, etc.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Yes May does let drivers take the truck/trailer home. Technically you aren't supposed to detach from trailer, but there are "ways" to do this so that Qualcom doesn't know. My hubby used to park trailer around the block in a lot and then put the tractor in the driveway. Now he is in their lease purchase program and can do what he likes. Only problem with May is getting the miles you need. You will have to become a real pest to get anywhere. Otherwise they are good, and their lease purchase program lets you own in 4 years and they have been just great about repairs etc. It's just the miles issue!

Iceman's Wife Suze
Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
homer wrote:
thats no good bring home 8000$ for 5 months.

That was for 3 months only October, November and December. He also took time off in December about 8 days.
So that is $8K per quarter = $32K per year. Couldn't your husband work as a company driver for that (or more) without all the risk of ownership?