User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless

As far our legal system is concerned, and as future prospects for employment are concerned, a "No Contest" plea is no different than a "Guilty" plea; yet, I know quite a few drivers who have had far more serious legal problems who have gone on to build successful careers as drivers. Yes, some doors will be closed, and that sucks. I won't argue that.

It is a Class C Misdemeanor. We will have to save the paper work and hopefully it will not have a negative impact in the next three years on employment prospects. Right now I know my husband is happy with
Davis. But down the road he may want a dedicated or something where he will be here more.
Davis does seem to be getting out this way quite a bit though, and we are pleased with that. They seem to understand how important it is for him to be with us. They told him he could take a few days off this time through if he wants to. If we were in a stronger financial position he would take more than one day off. And he was just home two weeks ago.

Also his driver manager was the one that called and suggested he took one of the kids on the trip during Christmas break. Hopefully maybe he will stay there and things will work out great for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless

It's pathetic that this is the way that our legal system works, but I didn't write the rules to this game. In the mean time, her husband is employed as a driver, and as long as he avoids anymore mishaps in the truck, he should be okay.
Agree with how pathetic our legal system and the corruption in our whole system is. And with him working we are happy. At least we are beyond training pay. And hopefully in a few weeks things will be going smooth for us financially.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

My husband is in Bozeman Montana today. He drove approximately 560 miles today. He said the wind was getting bad there when I told him that it was very windy and raining here.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
A conviction is a conviction. No offense intended, but the other posters do not have to deal with the later consequences "down the road". A conviction WILL come back to haunt your husband later in his driving career. Or, get ready for a "career" of sub-standard jobs and the wages they bring. Take a no contest or nothing. Believe me, you cannot even throw boxes off the back of a UPS truck with a conviction (NOT that I think you or anyone else is remotely interested in UPS), it's just the idea. Nice guy, makes mistake, takes the easy way out and pays for it later. I know times are tough for you two, but right now is not the time to give in. Just my two cents....We're "rooting" for you..
As someone with a Felony and a Criminal Misc. charge on my record, I've never had to deal with sub-standard jobs, or lousy wages. I've worked for many company's, Fed Ex and Brown included. The thing that's going to hurt her husband the most is the fact that the crime was commited in a Commercial vehicle. Criminal Misc. 3 is nothing, and really isn't going to have any kind of bearing on his driving career. It's really going to boil down to the reason why he got the charge when the company does a background check. I've been explaining myself for 12 years now, sure I've lost a few jobs, but I haven't had anything sub-standard.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Board Regular

I don't know about FedEx (actually the Company FedEx does not hire any felons-owner operators at "Ground" may), but as a 28 year employee and a union steward I know for a fact that UPS does not hire ANY felons at any time. It is totally against company policy and always has been. Not a critic, I just know the company....I have had to defend fellow employees who have a felony on their record in grievance hearings. Even if it occurs during employment, it is grounds for dismissal. Due to the nature of the business we cannot employ felons. Sorry...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I don't know about FedEx (actually the Company FedEx does not hire any felons-owner operators at "Ground" may), but as a 28 year employee and a union steward I know for a fact that UPS does not hire ANY felons at any time. It is totally against company policy and always has been. Not a critic, I just know the company....I have had to defend fellow employees who have a felony on their record in grievance hearings. Even if it occurs during employment, it is grounds for dismissal. Due to the nature of the business we cannot employ felons. Sorry...
I was a driver helper in the Christmas season. I have a letter somewhere showing that I'm available for rehire also. Not going to argue, but I worked there.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Rookie

Expensive lesson. Had he just not left the scene. All this would not have occured. You can say they legal system is corrupt and the DA just wants numbers. Your husband put himself in this position, I hope he just made a mistake, but from a fact point of view, it doens't look that way. I doubt that the police officer, the DA, and the security guard all conspired to "get" your husband. These are all normal everyday people not much different than you or I. Slandering them doesn't make what happened change.

As for your attorney had you just called the DA you might have avoided the high charges for that. It seems your emotions cost you money. I hope your husband has a long career in trucking and rebounds, but to do that accepting responsabilty has to happen. Know one is disputing that he hit the light post, but that he left. MAY had to tell him to call if he had a incident, that and common sense says to at least call dispatch....
Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojs12840
Expensive lesson. Had he just not left the scene. All this would not have occured. You can say they legal system is corrupt and the DA just wants numbers. Your husband put himself in this position, I hope he just made a mistake, but from a fact point of view, it doens't look that way. I doubt that the police officer, the DA, and the security guard all conspired to "get" your husband. These are all normal everyday people not much different than you or I. Slandering them doesn't make what happened change.

As for your attorney had you just called the DA you might have avoided the high charges for that. It seems your emotions cost you money. I hope your husband has a long career in trucking and rebounds, but to do that accepting responsibility has to happen. Know one is disputing that he hit the light post, but that he left. MAY had to tell him to call if he had a incident, that and common sense says to at least call dispatch....
The law did not require him to stay at the scene. I do not know if you are a truck driver but would you stay in a dark parking lot with two guys after dark when the business is closed and you have a full trailer???

Granted he should have called dispatch immediately instead of waiting until morning and let them handle it and he could have also gone back in the morning. Even though at May the night dispatch is pretty much worthless. Not just my husband but other drivers on this board have said the same thing. My husband says he should have handled things differently and did the next time when he had a little fender bender in a truck stop.

That being said it does not justify the police officer falsifying a report and leaving out important information. It does not justify the police officer writing my husband up for a felony charge for which the police officer KNEW he did not commit. I would call that very corrupt :x

And for the DA to push for a Grand Jury Indictment even though the police officer made up things and left things out of the report there is nothing at all that would suggest that he intentionally damaged property. When it stated that the officer got the insurance information (that would be accident insurance) to give to the BLM.

And the security should have identified himself and asked for the information instead of just helping my husband get out of the parking lot.
One Lawyer said he probably just wanted to play hero! There is no logic in him not identify himself.

As far as points for the DA's record that is why they want my husband to plea guilty instead of No Contest that was told to us by the Lawyer that is the reason why the DA is insisting that he plea guilty. Now if you want to tell the DA she does not need points for her record and that his pleading No Contest caries the same punishment go ahead.

My husband has said that he should have handled it differently but what about the security guard??? Did he handle it right? What about the police officer making false statements and accusing my husband of a felony when he knew it was not one.

What about the DA? My husband has paid for his error what about the way they handled things??? They are left to do the same thing over and over to other people and it is wrong what is going on.

If I lied in court or on a sworn statement that is okay? NO! And police officers should not falsify reports. DA's should prosecute for an accident as if my husband was mad at someone there and intentionally took his truck in there and intentionally damaged property.

Yes, my husband had an accident and yes he did not call dispatch. Was it company policy. Yes he was shook up. Is it required by law NO!

Does this justify anyone else's actions NO! They should take responsibility and be penalized in the same manner that anyone who makes false statements and knowing charges someone with a crime they know they did not commit.

And as far as BLM $11,000 seems high to me for even a 35 foot tree. I know they could have used epoxy and it would have been just as good as new for the light but they refused to. That is what the guy told me who was working on it. That would have been far cheaper than the $8,000 they charged.

They have caused a hardship for our family by charging him with a class C Felony Criminal Mischief in the First Degree and that was false charge. And unfortunately they will get away with their actions.

If we were in a different financial position we would fight it and fight to ensure that the type of actions that were taken against my husband did not happen to someone else.

Corruption is all to common in our society and we are either to busy or look the other way or make up excuses to justify it. I fear for our country. One day our indifference will come back to bite us.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I am not sure that a Class C Misdemeanor would classify as felon. I don't know if it would have to be a felony to be classified as a felon or not.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 01-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojs12840

As for your attorney had you just called the DA you might have avoided the high charges for that. It seems your emotions cost you money. I hope your husband has a long career in trucking and rebounds, but to do that accepting responsibility has to happen. Know one is disputing that he hit the light post, but that he left. MAY had to tell him to call if he had a incident, that and common sense says to at least call dispatch....
The law did not require him to stay at the scene. I do not know if you are a truck driver but would you stay in a dark parking lot with two guys after dark when the business is closed and you have a full trailer???

Granted he should have called dispatch immediately instead of waiting until morning and let them handle it and he could have also gone back in the morning. Even though at May the night dispatch is pretty much worthless. Not just my husband but other drivers on this board have said the same thing. My husband says he should have handled things differently and did the next time when he had a little fender bender in a truck stop.

That being said it does not justify the police officer falsifying a report and leaving out important information. It does not justify the police officer writing my husband up for a felony charge for which the police officer KNEW he did not commit. I would call that very corrupt :x

And for the DA to push for a Grand Jury Indictment even though the police officer made up things and left things out of the report there is nothing at all that would suggest that he intentionally damaged property. When it stated that the officer got the insurance information (that would be accident insurance) to give to the BLM.

And the security should have identified himself and asked for the information instead of just helping my husband get out of the parking lot.
One Lawyer said he probably just wanted to play hero! There is no logic in him not identify himself.

As far as points for the DA's record that is why they want my husband to plea guilty instead of No Contest that was told to us by the Lawyer that is the reason why the DA is insisting that he plea guilty. Now if you want to tell the DA she does not need points for her record and that his pleading No Contest caries the same punishment go ahead.

My husband has said that he should have handled it differently but what about the security guard??? Did he handle it right? What about the police officer making false statements and accusing my husband of a felony when he knew it was not one.

What about the DA? My husband has paid for his error what about the way they handled things??? They are left to do the same thing over and over to other people and it is wrong what is going on.

If I lied in court or on a sworn statement that is okay? NO! And police officers should not falsify reports. DA's should prosecute for an accident as if my husband was mad at someone there and intentionally took his truck in there and intentionally damaged property.

Yes, my husband had an accident and yes he did not call dispatch. Was it company policy. Yes he was shook up. Is it required by law NO!

Does this justify anyone else's actions NO! They should take responsibility and be penalized in the same manner that anyone who makes false statements and knowing charges someone with a crime they know they did not commit.

And as far as BLM $11,000 seems high to me for even a 35 foot tree. I know they could have used epoxy and it would have been just as good as new for the light but they refused to. That is what the guy told me who was working on it. That would have been far cheaper than the $8,000 they charged.

They have caused a hardship for our family by charging him with a class C Felony Criminal Mischief in the First Degree and that was false charge. And unfortunately they will get away with their actions.

If we were in a different financial position we would fight it and fight to ensure that the type of actions that were taken against my husband did not happen to someone else.

Corruption is all to common in our society and we are either to busy or look the other way or make up excuses to justify it. I fear for our country. One day our indifference will come back to bite us.

Goin Fer It's Wife

Normal everyday people indicted your husband. Are they corrupt also ???
I still think that there is more to this story....
Old 01-10-2007, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I picked up my husband yesterday and took him for a haircut. It was nice to see him and the kids enjoyed it.

He went to Karate with my son last night and ended up getting tested for his greenbelt. He said he was going to take his sheet with him for Karate on the road so he can practice. So if you see some guy with a Davis truck doing some strange moves in a truck stop you will know that it is him

I dropped him off at the school this morning to pick up his truck. He drove to Kingston, Washington today and has a 7:00 am to drop off his load. I do not know where his next load will take him. Maybe back east again. We will more than likely find out sometime tomorrow.

The load was not due next week I think. One really good thing about flatbedding is they pretty much will except the loads early.

Goin Fer It's Wife