User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert, but I think if they were going to terminate him for cause they would have done it immediately. Otherwise, if your hubby were to get into a "for real" accident out there, the lawyers would have a field day asking May why it was they let this guy they were planning to fire keep driving.

Just my 2/100ths of a buck and good luck.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 AM

He thinks they may talk to him tomorrow about the fender bender he had in the truck lot last week. As he has not spoken yet to the safety manager.

Is this fender bender the one where the trailer took out a light pole and tree?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobotox
Is this fender bender the one where the trailer took out a light pole and tree?
No that one was his first trip out. This was literally a fender bender. He bent up the bumper of a truck when he hooked it at a truck stop last week. No damage at all was done to my husbands truck.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 09-20-2006, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR OTR
I'm no expert, but I think if they were going to terminate him for cause they would have done it immediately. Otherwise, if your hubby were to get into a "for real" accident out there, the lawyers would have a field day asking May why it was they let this guy they were planning to fire keep driving.

Just my 2/100ths of a buck and good luck.
That is what I thought also. I would think that they would not run him for a week longer if they intended to terminate him. I know that this was not a major thing but with the first incident it is a concern.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 09-20-2006, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

As I said my husband said he has been very careful not to put himself in a position where he could get into trouble.

This was a pull thru and even though it was tight he thought he was okay. Then after he got out he saw a ditch or a drop or something like that he had to back up to avoid it. He said it was very tight. The second he looked in his second mirror he had just hooked a bumper of another truck and bent the bumper up on the other truck. He did not damage his truck at all.

He reported it right away and took the picture accident kit in the next day at the Brooks terminal.

I know many companies do not hire newbies maybe this is why they will make mistakes. We only pray that this was his last. I know he has learned a great deal from both of these.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 09-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Board Regular

Hi all. I've been following this thread as May is one of my top choices. I talked to a recruiter this morning that told me I need to get an Oregon CDL. My plan is to get my CDL here in Nevada but spend my down time in Oregon (will ditch apartment here and crash with friends in OR). Because I will have a NV CDL but plan to take my down time in Oregon they say I need to get an Oregon CDL. Does this sound right? Why would it matter which state my CDL is from? If my routing takes me through OR and I want to schedule my down days there why can't I? I can't get a straight answer to the relationship between the state the CDL was issued and the state I want to crash in for a few days.

Jim
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 AM

GoinFerIt
Thats a real bummer. I sure hope it all works out for him. Maybe they'll have him go out with a trainer again in the worst case scenario. I don't think May keeps you with a trainer long enough anyhow. I hear they will turn you lose after 2 weeks or even 1 week if the trainer wants. I don't know if I'd feel like I knew enough to be on my on after only 2 weeks. Of course I don't relish the idea of being with one even that long but I want to be confident in my ability more importantly.
Good luck!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:14 AM

Had fun today at cdl school. Got to go out and drive. Went out with 3 other students and of course a trainer. I never heard so much grinding of metal to metal in my life! I haven't ground that much metal during 30 years+ in a body shop. Poor tranny. They must be awful tuff to take so much abuse all day. I am happy to report though it wasn't me doing the grinding. I did grind a little but nothing like the others. **Pat myself on back** The other 3 students never got to drive anywhere but round and round the block . We passed by Werner Interprises so often I was getting dizzy. We actually drive at Werner loaner truck. They recruit from SWTDT quite a bit. They ain't gonna recruit me though. Happy to say I only had to round the block 2 or 3 times and the boss said I was doing good enough to get into traffic, so thats what we did. I was like a regular truck driver, well almost. I admit it wasn't all pretty but I got the double clutching and up shifting down pretty quick. The down shifting was the not always so easy part. It gets kinda confusing remembering where the next lower gear was and remembering to switch from hi to low when doing so. Didn't hit nothing though and ran over no curbs, mail boxes,signs or 4-wheelers or peds. Tomorrow we do backing, parrallel parking, serpintine backing, etc. Dang, just when I was gettin use to going forward. Here I come May. Actually I've been thinking of checking out TMC flatbeds also. Had one of there recruiters stop in yesterday. May does pay much better during training though. Right now money means alot as no worky for last month, and need mo money fast. Decisions, decisions. Peace and goodnight!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
Hi all. I've been following this thread as May is one of my top choices. I talked to a recruiter this morning that told me I need to get an Oregon CDL. My plan is to get my CDL here in Nevada but spend my down time in Oregon (will ditch apartment here and crash with friends in OR). Because I will have a NV CDL but plan to take my down time in Oregon they say I need to get an Oregon CDL. Does this sound right? Why would it matter which state my CDL is from? If my routing takes me through OR and I want to schedule my down days there why can't I? I can't get a straight answer to the relationship between the state the CDL was issued and the state I want to crash in for a few days.

Jim
Iceman has a CA CDL, and we live in NV. Eventually you may want to get a different one, but there isn't any rush. When we move up to Vancouver in Dec. Iceman will no doubt make a CDL change. May recruiter told him that living in Vancouver would be better than Salem because of the OR state income tax requirement. I researched this and, yes, Vancouver would be better. You live in NV now, right? Are you planning to change address to OR as well? Let me know.

Iceman's Wife
Old 09-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobotox
GoinFerIt
Thats a real bummer. I sure hope it all works out for him. Maybe they'll have him go out with a trainer again in the worst case scenario. I don't think May keeps you with a trainer long enough anyhow. I hear they will turn you lose after 2 weeks or even 1 week if the trainer wants. I don't know if I'd feel like I knew enough to be on my on after only 2 weeks. Of course I don't relish the idea of being with one even that long but I want to be confident in my ability more importantly.
Good luck!
The big problem with my husband's trainer is that even if he stayed out with him longer he felt he would have not learned much more. His trainer began team driving and did not show the interest in teaching him what was on the list or really working with him.

At first we were told that they were not suppose to have training that way but that is the way it ended up with my husband.

Goin Fer It's Wife