User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

this week has not been so bad, ran from IA to NY with a load of bagged animal feed, then from NY down into PA with a load of salt, $550 for 120 miles, nothing like making $170 for a few hours work. this is good because it puts me on track to get home.

there is an occasional drywall run from NJ to PA that pays like $5 a mile going out, then you return the dunnage to Lafarge and it pays like $8 a mile going back. 80 miles each way I think. yet we haul OD steel for $1.30 a mile.

short runs are fun sometimes.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Rookie

Wow where do I start. First of all, I believe that a large problem with TMC freight-atleast in the Northeast...is the pizzing match between Harold and Pat...or TMC and PGT...moreso Pittsburgh Logistics, or PLS. Sorry, but PLS controls a huge amount of the steel freight east of the indy/ohio line, and although not booming by any means, still packing trucks in the mills.

I have two friends that are still on a dedicated TMC account, or rather an old TMC dedicated, since they havent hauled out of thier dedicated in almost 3 months now. In some of the mills we haul out of, I have been told that large companies, such as TMC are used as a "cleanup" of sorts, whatever they have left, or whatever oddballs are going to places unknown. When large companies, such as TMC dont have many shippers where they specialize( such as JD,Griffin,etc) they tend to get bottom of the barrel, under companies who do haul from those shippers on a daily basis.

I run mostly eastern OH, panhandle WV, PA, MD,NJ,NYC and the new england states, and
I DO NOT SEE THE AMOUNT OF EMPTY FLATS HEADING WEST LIKE TMC. Im sorry boys...and girls but you cant tell me that things are smooth, when you are placed number 16, or number 27 on the list in an area. Or as some of my friends...number 4, only to sit all day long.

Anti-Idle technology...TMC has the best!! PREFER the driver to freeze or roast, all in the name of saving the company $$. Last night I slept at a Pier, with 2 TMC trucks....temp about 18, after windchill, around 0 or under. I crank on my nice...webasco bunk heater, and snooze away. The next morning...I catch wind of the two FUEL MILEAGE>DRIVER SAFETY savers doing nothing but complain of no sleep...wait that $5 throw away bed pad should have done the trick...matter of fact Ill bet Todd and Harold use them on thier beds too. Sure the ambient air temp wasnt under your 15 rule, but id be willing to bet these guys wont be having a chipper day.

Moral of the story...It isnt until you step foot in another cab that you realize the grass IS greener other places...and it also isnt until you step foot in another cab that youll realize the grass is crabby in other places. But please...please dont try and preach to me next week in the Petro, of how TMC is so great, when you have never once shifted a gear for another company...I wont hear it.

Some may take this as a slam, thats fine... Am I saying that the grass is greener where I am, NO...I too sit some days. However we have 30 trucks...and Ill bet of our 30 trucks, 80% will get loaded on the east coast, going atleast 300 miles...in places where TMC has loaded out of....and we are not "destination excellence"...we do not try to be the best, we just do our job. Funny Friend #1 unloads at 0400 with a drywall load, and is still 11th on the board....how much earlier can you get??

I thought big companies were suppose to have so much more of a freight base?

Also, dont listen to your 1/2 arse fleetmanager(who doesnt know), you DO need a TWIC card for Most ports after Jan 1, its 132.50, and now takes about 6-8 weeks(depending on location) to get. Youll have to look at the list to see when each individual port requires it.

Opps there goes 60% of the Timken freight to Baltimore...

BTW, TMC has used CH Robinson for years...I hauled a wood load from Detroit to Gordon PA...it actually paid pretty decent.

I am an EX TMC driver, I am not upset with TMC, they owe me nothing, but the guys that I talk too are getting a hard one given to them. Since they are dedicated they will not run them "anywhere" just to have something on the deck...they keep them close waiting for the phone to ring...which hasnt for months.

BTW, I see TMC now has a temp terminal in Hubbard OH:rofl:

Im sure some ex-TMC drivers will understand my point. In the flatbed world all you hear is TMC TMC TMC, Destination excellence, yadayada yada.
---They need to find more freight first...if they are as good as they claim...claimed to be, lets see it. No Owens shingles out of Kearny(have dedicated)...No Griffen from Florence(LJ Kennedy has it now) No Alcoa out of Lancaster(had a dedicated)...rarely any Drywall from Buchanan(had a dedicated). I am talking to guys who run these areas every week, not the occasional drywall load here drywall load there, Lansing NY salt load there...etc.

And to think that TMC is still hiring right now? Thats a slap in the face to every seasoned TMC driver sitting in an area, only to bounce 300 miles, or be told they are 31st on the list from all the guys sent home empty from last week.

Last edited by steelhauler; 12-23-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Hey Steelhauler,
Who do you drive for? And are they hiring?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler View Post
Moral of the story...It isnt until you step foot in another cab that you realize the grass IS greener other places...and it also isnt until you step foot in another cab that youll realize the grass is crabby in other places. But please...please dont try and preach to me next week in the Petro, of how TMC is so great, when you have never once shifted a gear for another company...I wont hear it.
those are the kinds of conversations I try to avoid, and aside from having to associate with other truck drivers, probably the #2 reason I try to avoid truckstops. you make valid points, but sorta left out who you work for, if you want to establish some credibility, please share.

I don't preach to anyone how great TMC is, this truck gets me enough unwanted attention as it is. I do my job and try to keep a low profile. I am happy to answer questions honestly if someone approaches me, but I am in no way representing them as the most awesome trucking company in the country. things are by no means perfect here, the two reasons I stay are that TMC is a good fit with my location/lifestyle, and they give me an awesome truck to drive. would I work here if I had to drive a Freightliner? probably not. the truck is how they draw drivers in, for better or for worse.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
those are the kinds of conversations I try to avoid, and aside from having to associate with other truck drivers, probably the #2 reason I try to avoid truckstops. you make valid points, but sorta left out who you work for, if you want to establish some credibility, please share.

I don't preach to anyone how great TMC is, this truck gets me enough unwanted attention as it is. I do my job and try to keep a low profile. I am happy to answer questions honestly if someone approaches me, but I am in no way representing them as the most awesome trucking company in the country. things are by no means perfect here, the two reasons I stay are that TMC is a good fit with my location/lifestyle, and they give me an awesome truck to drive. would I work here if I had to drive a Freightliner? probably not. the truck is how they draw drivers in, for better or for worse.

And they know it. You will settle for substandard pay, just because you have nice equipment. Dont get me wrong, there is a huge difference between good and poor maintanence. Let me ask you this, when you tell the desk at indy, send in an equip status, etc etc do they look at you like your stupid?:zzz: They always have me, and its not over simple things. A friend wrote numerous macros, spoke with RR, told indy during a service that his clutch didnt feel right, and that many times it wouldnt let the truck engage in gear

Nothing was done, he said they told him nothing was wrong and about 3 weeks later he exploded a pressure plate. Of course he was upset because he didnt have any rev to the truck for 2 days, oh wow 50 bucks.

I drove 3 nice TMC trucks and some not as pretty trucks. Some guys have to have a new hammer every time they build, and others know how to do the job just fine with what tools they have.

Substandard pay to me, is not worth watching my family go with less, just so I could drive a pretty truck.

When I left TMC, I went to a local company with a few Other TMC drivers. We almost doubled what our take home was at TMC, and I have the pay stubs...and can proove it. Same regional area. Yes my truck wasnt as chromed out, but it was just as new, and when it needed work, they treated me atleast like a human, whether I did or didnt understand what I was talking about. The company split due to a divorce, and was sold off.

Enter company number 2...aprox 200 miles away....and WAIT the same respect. Treated like a driver, not like truck number 922 or whatever. I dont have to PURCHASE thier clothing to show Im proud, etc,etc

All Im saying is one can never preach that the grass is greener until they test out the field. I left TMC on very good terms....but I wont go back. I have seen a few other flatbed companies, and I like how a company can keep you running, and keep you loaded.
they understand that mistakes happen, and they dont treat you like a 5 year old, or send you through a terminal to "talk" about what happened.

Just remember you can make 32% at TMC!! Im sure many of you think that 32% of $1000 is better than 25% of $1500...you can do the math on that one.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler View Post
And they know it. You will settle for substandard pay, just because you have nice equipment. Dont get me wrong, there is a huge difference between good and poor maintanence. Let me ask you this, when you tell the desk at indy, send in an equip status, etc etc do they look at you like your stupid?:zzz: They always have me, and its not over simple things. A friend wrote numerous macros, spoke with RR, told indy during a service that his clutch didnt feel right, and that many times it wouldnt let the truck engage in gear

Nothing was done, he said they told him nothing was wrong and about 3 weeks later he exploded a pressure plate. Of course he was upset because he didnt have any rev to the truck for 2 days, oh wow 50 bucks.

I drove 3 nice TMC trucks and some not as pretty trucks. Some guys have to have a new hammer every time they build, and others know how to do the job just fine with what tools they have.

Substandard pay to me, is not worth watching my family go with less, just so I could drive a pretty truck.

When I left TMC, I went to a local company with a few Other TMC drivers. We almost doubled what our take home was at TMC, and I have the pay stubs...and can proove it. Same regional area. Yes my truck wasnt as chromed out, but it was just as new, and when it needed work, they treated me atleast like a human, whether I did or didnt understand what I was talking about. The company split due to a divorce, and was sold off.

Enter company number 2...aprox 200 miles away....and WAIT the same respect. Treated like a driver, not like truck number 922 or whatever. I dont have to PURCHASE thier clothing to show Im proud, etc,etc

All Im saying is one can never preach that the grass is greener until they test out the field. I left TMC on very good terms....but I wont go back. I have seen a few other flatbed companies, and I like how a company can keep you running, and keep you loaded.
they understand that mistakes happen, and they dont treat you like a 5 year old, or send you through a terminal to "talk" about what happened.

Just remember you can make 32% at TMC!! Im sure many of you think that 32% of $1000 is better than 25% of $1500...you can do the math on that one.
awesome... does this company have a name?

freight volumes are down, we are in a recession, anyone who claims not to be impacted by this is wrong. we are all hauling the same freight. I stand nothing to gain by defending TMC, but do you really think they don't know what they are doing? I'd argue their management has near genius business sense if they can afford to deadhead trucks 400-800 miles, haul freight for $1 a mile or less, and still turn a profit in the end. the performanced based pay scale is a good system, I don't see anything wrong with it. I am at 28% right now, have never seen 25% as long as I've been here.

pay has never been an issue, the economy is the issue. I still brought home $800 last week, and that included sitting in TX for 5 days. maybe not as much as I made in the summer, but still more than a lot of van drivers, especially van drivers who have only been with a company for 8 months. the pay rate is not my problem, staying productive is the problem. I don't claim to understand the freight issue 100% here, all I know is that I see just as many empty Melton, Arrow, and Maverick trucks, and if this mythical company is keeping you more busy than we are, then hats off to you. unfortunately we will never be able to apply there because we don't know thier NAME, lol.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Rookie

Your right TMC's upper people are brilliant...as you say they can haul freight for under a buck and still turn a profit....on your back, on your time, and give you a so-called "performance based" pay system, that pays an inflated %% rate, on a deflated load $$

Thats how TMC got the nickname TRUCKIN MIGHTLY CHEAP

BTW, we are not hauling the same freight. Arceler MIttal is the largest steel manufacturer in the World. Ill bet youll be very hard pressed to find a TMC truck in any of there dozens of plants. AK steel, still sending countless loads overseas....how many TMC trucks in the lot. Gerdau Ameristeel Jersey plants....no TMC trucks in the lots.

There are still loads out there, but it requires a company to "put it back in thier pants" and haul the freight. ie...see pizzing match above
Yes rates are down, wont deny that. Matter of fact our rates now look like TMC rates.

I am not speaking outside my region because I dont know. However, for a company that has 40% of its drivers on the east coast, you think they would have more customers.

If you want to make excusses for 300-400 mile bounces all the time, thats cool. This is an opinion based forum, and I feel new potential hires should see that they will be sitting, they will be all over the country(when not planning to be) and they will be hauling cheap TMC freight. The title of this forum group is "what about this company" Not a TMC place to chat, dont take it personal, Im not being personal with you.

We are not hiring at this time, all trucks are full, sorry

Last edited by steelhauler; 12-23-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Board Member

So you spend your days waiting and waiting at steel mills, uggggh. You are welcome to it. So you admit that you are hauling less freight for fewer dollars as well, but TMC is worse. Hmmmm, I don't quite follow that lackogic.
---------------------

Yes I am sure that LJK is doing much better getting freight out of the now closed Florence NJ Griffin plant than we are. Thank you for proving your ignorance.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien

Last edited by Rawlco; 12-24-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Rookie

I never said that I am hauling less freight. I get my 5-6 drops a week no problem. And since the economy has slowed, I havent done much waiting. But then again I dont empty out at 10am

I would rather sit at a steel mill/brick yard waiting to load, then sitting at a T/A waiting for a load, only to bounce 350 miles for a $550 load, that goes right back to the same crappy freight area you just came from.

Griffin may have stopped production there, but its still used as a distribution center and gets pipe from Lynchburg and CB, I know I loaded a load from Florence to Erie PA. So no, they didnt close it. Try again.

See thats where its better. Fact is a vast majority of steel and many many other commodities haul based on hundred rate, such as 1.85 per hundred x 44,000 lbs=$814

Funny youll never see a hundred rated load with TMC. It wasnt until I left that I realized the hundred rate was used that much. Most companies have a minimum haul, so if its a 44k mini, they get paid on 44k, whether its 44 or 12k. So the next time you haul out of Timken-Canton, just remember they have no idea how much weight your loading, but they are paying on the minimum rate. I haul out of Canton a few times a week, to Baltimore and North Bergen, etc same places as TMC. I have friends who show me the qualcomm amounts, and it reflects the same hundred rate as I am paid on, except they are paid based on the minimum amount TMC is guaranteed, I am paid on what I actually load.

Logic is that when freight is slow, and trucks are sitting, the rates go down. Large supply of trucks vs low supply of freight. Thats where being a regular helps out.

If Jims coil shop has 4 loads today, he isnt sending them to a big carrier like TMC that sends a few trucks here, none here, none there, a few here. He is gonna load the companies that are in and loading every single day---the regulars.

I knew id step on some toes here, and thats good. 326 pages of cell phone chat on a computer screen doesnt help a potential new hire to the company.
The hard facts do, and im willing to bet there are more of you getting 2-3 loads a week, than 5 on the ground. So why are they still hiring? Why are drivers that out of touch with the economy to think TMC has so much more freight than anyone else.

My easy logic for a potential new hire to TMC...or any flatbed company right now...Dont make the jump, its not greener, its not better, its the same BS that your gonna leave your current company for. Unless you have no choice, wait it out. When freight gets better, and your not comfortable with where your paycheck is going, then make the switch.

But ask yourself one thing first...is it the company, or is it me?

Last edited by steelhauler; 12-24-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Anybody mind posting their end of the year gross pay? You don't have to. I'm just curious.