User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Terry, Not sure were you found that quote, that was suppose to be from me! But you should know, I do not post that kind of jibberish!

How the heck are ya doin' anyhow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
....something, something something....doe snot....something, something, something....
Exactly, what is doe snot?
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 03-30-2008, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Darn, someone beat me to the "Stay of the Grass" warning! OH well, maybe I should visit more often!

Pay attention, to the info presented by the hired staff, not the malcontents that hang out by the motel doors. Many or them I found are actually happy with the job and just like to jerk the newbies chain!

Keep a good attitude and open mind!

When with the trainer, jump in and ask questions, get your hands dirty and learn the most you can from your trainer!

Oh, about trainers! When your trainer makes the contact phone call, talk to him, make sure your will be able to deal with each other for 2, 3 or 5 weeks depending on your hire status. More guys fail, because they could not get along with the trainer. Also, if your trainer is not doing his job while you are on his truck: 1) try to work it out on the truck, 2) if that doe snot work, call your advisor and explain the situation. They will either have a word with the trainer, or assign you a new one. You may have to take a trainer that is not so close to home, to get a good one.

My trainer, although we had completely different attitudes, did an excellent job teaching me when I had issues, although those were few! Because of my prior experience, I only had 2 weeks with him, and stayed in Joplin on the off weekend, instead of being home, just to get the training over with.

More guys fail, not just at TMC, because of a bad trainer! This occurs at ANY company that has an OTR Training program!

I probably duplicated something someone else said, so sorry! Have been off the board for awhile!

Have a great day!
My pathetic excuse for a joke, you oviously meant does not and not "doe snot."
Old 03-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

OK, gotcha now, though me for a loop, and thought someone was trying to impersonate me again!

Kinda worn out this week! Ran over 3000 miles this week, and never left Texas! In fact, 90% of those miles was running back and forth between Waco and Houston all week! Glad that deal is over! Went to Riviera this morning!

OH, my wife gives me a hard enough time being a spell and grammar check, surely she does not need any help! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar

My pathetic excuse for a joke, you oviously meant does not and not "doe snot."
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 03-30-2008, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: good info..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonSeggern
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobird
I start orientation on 4/14 in des moines.I want to thank all for the great info on what to expect and do's and dont's. thanks again..
Tip of the Day:

Don't pay any attention to the ding-a-lings that hang on the front porch of the Baymont.
Wait a minute, I resemble that remark.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Rookie
Default TMC Hiring area

Can anyone clearly explain the hiring area esp in Michigan. It is my understanding that if you live in the orange boundary area you are guaranteed the home time. If you live outside then your not. I am being told that I cant be hired by TMC because I live within a half mile outside the orange boundary line. I don’t understand this at all. The map is so small I cant clearly see where the hiring area is... It also states that Drivers who live inside the area defined by the orange boundary have the option to be home 46 out of 52 weekends per year, guaranteed! Drivers who live outside of this area will enjoy longer lengths of haul, less tarping, more drop and hook freight and will be home at least once every 14 days with one day off for every week out, guaranteed! Well I live outside of the area, this does not mean that I cant be hired by the company, which is what im being told... Does anyone know anyone I can talk to at TMC... I still have the card stating that my application is processed but now they are telling me no... WTF!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TMC Hiring area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rude
Can anyone clearly explain the hiring area esp in Michigan. It is my understanding that if you live in the orange boundary area you are guaranteed the home time. If you live outside then your not. I am being told that I cant be hired by TMC because I live within a half mile outside the orange boundary line. I don’t understand this at all. The map is so small I cant clearly see where the hiring area is... It also states that Drivers who live inside the area defined by the orange boundary have the option to be home 46 out of 52 weekends per year, guaranteed! Drivers who live outside of this area will enjoy longer lengths of haul, less tarping, more drop and hook freight and will be home at least once every 14 days with one day off for every week out, guaranteed! Well I live outside of the area, this does not mean that I cant be hired by the company, which is what im being told... Does anyone know anyone I can talk to at TMC... I still have the card stating that my application is processed but now they are telling me no... WTF!!!
I don't have an official answer for you. Please call recruiting to get the correct answer. I will attempt an answer based on rumor and other observations. You are correct, that is what the website says about the hiring area and Line Haul and Long Haul. I have heard there is a hiring freeze in effect. Maybe once, but too many drivers are attending orrientation for that to be true now. Also, referal bonuses are not being given for recruiting inexperienced drives, only experienced drivers. During this economic slow down perhaps TMC is being a little more discriminating about who they hire, with you home being one factor. I am not an official spokesman for TMC so call recruiting.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rude
Show you enthusiasm by pestering recruiting. Perhaps in your area they have an excess number of drivers. Things are tight.
Though the company is still hiring aggressively, the criteria has tightened and the testing process has been really tightened. In the past they, IMO, were just taking pulses. Too many wing nuts were getting too far in the process and then quitting in their first month in the truck. As it costs $11K to train a TMC driver, I totally understand the new selectivity. Keep in mind that I am an ex TMC driver (2 years in truck) and these are just my opinions.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 AM
Rookie

A good friend of mine just got in at TMC. We both went through class at CR. England. We were told to sit in Salt Lake City and wait for a truck for a few days. Needless to say we left after 2 weeks of no trucks and not getting paid. I came back to Michigan and started driving a beer truck, he to Wisconsin and went over the road with a friends company. He got in right away and I’m still dickering with this stupid hiring boundary, no one at TMC can give me a clear answer or the same at that... I won’t say names but an associate of TMC told me that quite a few drivers that live outside the hiring area just have P.O. boxes inside the hiring areas. That way it looks peachy when they get in. I see TMC trucks parked all the time by my house over the weekends, so I know they can get me up here its only .7 miles northeast of the hiring line for crying out loud!!! I also want to go Long haul so I really plan on being out over the road for about a month at a time with 4 days off then going back out for a month (4 weeks out and 4 days home). So home time is really not my top priority just the $$$ is, I think I’m going to check with the P.O. Box thing... I just really like this company and have been seeing them on the road for the past 4 years of driving commercial vehicles in Michigan. I want to get in with them and I want to do it A.S.A.P!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Rookie

Do you think it would be easy to gross $700-$1300 in a week in the long haul division for TMC. Getting paid by the mile? I plan on driving, driving and driving while I’m working for them. When I get in that is…
Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonSeggern
As it costs $11K to train a TMC driver, I totally understand the new selectivity.
wow, didn't know that. will be sure to give them their money's worth, I head out for "boot camp" 4/6