User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyroads
Completed application online Thursday. How long have any of you TMC drivers have waited before getting a call are email to let you know if you are hired are not. things down here in my neck of the woods has slowed to a crawl. Ol lady talking smack because i am home most of the time and money is getting tighter than a pair of GOAT LIPS if you know what i mean.
Why would you wait for them to call you? You need to be proactive, you call them. I can recommend Rebecca, my recruiter, or Matt, who post on here and whom I have met. Call them first thing Monday morning!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Rookie

I will call monday and hope they say yes.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Default short on loads

Terry, you were talking about how bad freight was in Dallas last week. I can say that loads are short all over Texas. 1 month ago I went to NM with a sheetrock load and got copper coming back to McKinney. When the ice storm hit Texas a couple of weeks ago I took a load to Douglas, GA. I alomost took another load there for monday but I wanted to be home this weekend. Other Texas Dedicated drives have been taking out of state loads instead of sitting around or going w/o a load. I have even heard of a number of drivers not getting loads on friday and dh'ing to the house. We are finally now diversifying what we haul in Texas and we are taking more oddball loads. I've gone from only hauling sheetrock, shingles, and drill pipe to including lumber, Lowes, copper, steel and uuggghh coils.
Lately I've been running more like a linehaul driver then a Texas Dedicated driver. If the housing market keeps going down hill they may turn Texas Dedicated into Texas Centric Regional which wouldn't bother me one bit.....as long as they still get me home every weekend.

You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence is your native tongue. You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.

We either hang together or we will be hanged seperately. -Benjamin Franklin 1767
Old 02-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Default Texas Trainers

I don't remeber who asked about trainers in Texas but I know of 6 that I see periodically. When I started they told me that there would be no problem finding a trainer in Texas.
btw....Terry and I had the same trainer.

You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence is your native tongue. You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.

We either hang together or we will be hanged seperately. -Benjamin Franklin 1767
Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Saw a reporter on TV the other day stated the housing industry is @ a 17 year low...also can not find pine shavings for my horse stalls due to some mills being shut down...hopefully it will not last....
Old 02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: short on loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsknight
Terry, you were talking about how bad freight was in Dallas last week. I can say that loads are short all over Texas. 1 month ago I went to NM with a sheetrock load and got copper coming back to McKinney. When the ice storm hit Texas a couple of weeks ago I took a load to Douglas, GA. I alomost took another load there for monday but I wanted to be home this weekend. Other Texas Dedicated drives have been taking out of state loads instead of sitting around or going w/o a load. I have even heard of a number of drivers not getting loads on friday and dh'ing to the house. We are finally now diversifying what we haul in Texas and we are taking more oddball loads. I've gone from only hauling sheetrock, shingles, and drill pipe to including lumber, Lowes, copper, steel and uuggghh coils.
Lately I've been running more like a linehaul driver then a Texas Dedicated driver. If the housing market keeps going down hill they may turn Texas Dedicated into Texas Centric Regional which wouldn't bother me one bit.....as long as they still get me home every weekend.
I don't believe for a minute there is a lack of freight in Texas much less the metro areas of Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio and even Ft. Hood. It is a lack of salesmen getting out there finding freight for us, and then keeping it. According to the Vice President for Sales at TMC they will be making a push in Texas. I say give us all business card and let us be ambassadors. Maybe even give us a perk for a referral.

Houston, TX = 4
San Antonio, TX = 7
Dallas, TX = 9
Austin, TX = 16
Ft. Worth, TX = 19
El Paso, TX = 21

No freight, give me a break!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyNextDoor
M trainer rocks, and I believe he thought me the most he could (with my brainfarts and all) so i'm pretty happy to recomennd him. It's hard workj with him, but once you're on your own, it'll pay off big time.

So here's some free advertisment to my trainer: Von.

Cheers

BND
Take a good look at the picture in my avatar. I am a decendant of that man. Hell, I wouldn't want to train with me.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by drippy
Saw a reporter on TV the other day stated the housing industry is @ a 17 year low...also can not find pine shavings for my horse stalls due to some mills being shut down...hopefully it will not last....
Yeah, the housing market is slow, especially new construction. The whole high-end, spec-built McMansion market has really tanked. However, there is still a decent amount of commercial building going on. In parts of the country there are actually significant low and middle income housing shortages. That means apartment building.

Housing was in a silly-bubble anyway, irrational exuberance. The cycle will turn around. The economy is in great shape.

Oddly enough, most of what I have been hauling lately is lumber.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Re: short on loads

Quote:

I don't believe for a minute there is a lack of freight in Texas much less the metro areas of Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio and even Ft. Hood. It is a lack of salesmen getting out there finding freight for us, and then keeping it. According to the Vice President for Sales at TMC they will be making a push in Texas. I say give us all business card and let us be ambassadors. Maybe even give us a perk for a referral.

Houston, TX = 4
San Antonio, TX = 7
Dallas, TX = 9
Austin, TX = 16
Ft. Worth, TX = 19
El Paso, TX = 21

No freight, give me a break!

hhmmm.....what are the numbers for?

Actually, the problem in Texas is that many drivers run here during the winter and then spread out again as the weather gets better. Most drivers don't like driving in the ice/snow (myself included). The shippers and brokers take advantage of the fact that there are more drivers here then usually and lower the rates because there are more drivers then freight. TMC doesn't like cheap freight. Since the housing market is down there is a shortage of loads for sheetrock and shingles and that is primarily what I haul.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Speaking of weather.

Me and the "Mad" Hungarian were all set to go, car packed, etc, to head to Oswego, NY to drop off a Lowe's load for Monday.

Just happened to check Weather Channel...

A BAND OF INTENSE LAKE SNOW WILL EDGE SOUTH INTO NORTHERN SECTIONS OF THE COUNTY LATE THIS EVENING AND DRIFT SOUTH THROUGH MUCH OF MONDAY. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS COULD REACH TWO TO THREE FEET WHERE THE BAND PERSISTS...HE BAND WILL MOVE INTO SOUTHERN OSWEGO COUNTY LATE MONDAY... WHERE SHOULD REMAIN MONDAY NIGHT. THE LAKE SNOWS SHOULD THEN DRIFT NORTH AGAIN DURING TUESDAY. COLD TEMPERATURES WILL MAKE FOR HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS WITH 2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE.

STRONG WESTERLY WINDS WILL CREATE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING... ESPECIALLY ON NORTH SOUTH ROADS... MAKING TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES. IN ADDITION...THEY WILL PRODUCE WIND CHILL VALUES OF 15 TO 25 BELOW TODAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

That means the NY Thruway and I81 closed. Looks like Tuesday, if that.

Looks like a $hort week.

Better than killing the almost-ready trainee.