User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_TRUCKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonSeggern
Safety was shutting down many drivers because of hours a few weeks ago. Not sure if that was a warning shot or the new world order.

Where was this going on?

I have been running in just about every state of the South East and I haven't seen this yet, this is the first time as of yet that I've heard of it, not that I'm worried about it in any way, I run legal, or I don't run at all..

A great rule to live by is, "Drive Safe or Park it"..
Perhaps they picked on one Fleet Manager, not sure, it did happen.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

No one at TMC has ever told me that I had to run illegal or run tired. If I Qualcomm or call my FM and say I am tired or out of hours, no questions asked, pull over and rest. They call the consignee and make arrangements for a later delivery. If I say that I am beat and need an easy/short load, I get it.

That being said, every TMC driver on this thread knows that we were "enabled" by trainers and in orientation to run "productively". Whether we abide by the law or abuse it is a personal decision that each one of us has to make. I am not saying that I run perfect all the time but I shut the truck down when I am supposed to.

I would guess that 90% of the drivers, not just TMC, out there are manipulating their logs and driving well out of the legal limits. Companies push the hell out of their drivers to the point of exhaustion, either sublimely or blatantly. Every diesel cop knows this when they check a logbook. It's like the immigration thing, it is just a frikken joke.

The whole industry is basically out of control. The HOS regulations are stupid. FMCSA doesn't have the manpower to enforce the laws anyway. A wholesale change has to happen and it all involves more money. If drivers are going to drive as they are supposed to they will need to be paid more or the same for working legally. Freight costs will have to go up. The cost of everything that we purchase will go up. Because of that the government and industry will continue to look the other way, tolerate the accidents and fatalities, and go on with more of the same.

Longsnowsm, you make an excellent point that safety isn't just good load securement. Very true.

Sorry about the ranting.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I am still very torn about trying to come over to TMC and I am currently trying to decide if i want to apply again . Driving record is good and i have well over a year in and all that stuff and i can drive like crazy. I just like reading and getting all this input from the other TMC drivers on here.
So are there any TMC driver here from Tennessee? I am curious as to whether middle Tennessee is a good place to be from as far as driving for TMC. I se some TMC trucks parked near by on the weekends but never get to stop and speak to the drivers. I have got a pretty good grasp of the van side of truck driving and I am just very curious and interested in how the other side works and i want to see how good of a driver i really am......come on drivers and recruiters....sell me on this company..I need to make up my mind.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Board Regular

i have an old navy buddy who lives east of selmer and i can get a load to and from memphis or jackson within a day or two of letting my fm know that i want to get there. i go through at least 2 times a month and never have problem getting in or out. dont know how close that is to you but it may help.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Are the TMC recruiters still on here? i thinking of going ahead and filling out tha application again online today and i would like to have it sent straight to one of them instead of it falling blindly into the hands of someone I have never talked with.
Also, how many of you TMC'rs are married and/or have kids...how is this company working out with your home life...what does your family think about your job? I hate to sound pesty....but as i have been around trucking for a little while now...i do see it is definitely important to investigate all angles..
Old 05-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Senior Board Member

My future ex-wife would like it if I was gone more often.

IMO, you are in pretty good shape in middle Tennessee, I assume you are talking about being in the general area of Nashville. The crossroads of I24 and I40 is a busy freight area. Steel, sheetrock, lumber, pipe, are all major products manufactured around you as well as in adjoining states. Many of the local TMC and flatbed drivers would be able to tell you what moves through your area.

You would probably have little problem getting home every weekend. If you live close to one of the interstates or near a large TMC shipper there is a good possibility that you could get home during the week on occasion.

The best part about where you live is that you would mostly stay out of the GD northeast. The more you avoid New England the better.

If I were you I would have a good talk with some veteran and rookie flatbedders, TMC drivers and others. Make sure that you understand what it's all about and how it differs from van.

I can't and won't sell you on jack. Keep researching and you should make a good decision.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:29 PM

I definitely appreciatethe input VonSeggern. I have been weighing the decision to switch to flatbed for a few months now and have talked to people and researched quite a bit and i am certain i can handle the work...I almost welcome with as lazy and out of shape i am becoming sitting in the truck bumping docks. I live in lower middle tennessee, about an hour out of nashville a little over an hour from chattanooga and only 15 or 20 minutes from I-24...just a little way over from Monteagle.....seems that I should be in a good freight lane there.....My wife is encouraging me to go ahead and try and get on and I think I am going to listen to her...time for a change.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Well then here's the hook.
I lost 20 pounds without trying and my forearms are like Popeye's.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 AM

I just went through and filled out the application and submitted it.....What recruiter would you TMC guys recomend i allert to this so maybe they can get a jump on looking at it?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Board Regular

Well if you PM either JFLOYD or TMC well Jeff Floyd is a field recruiter for the area outside of Virginia and TMC or Matt works in Des Moines along with Gus, Jason, Brianna and alot more. I would give them a call first thing tomorrow morning. and not to steal any bodies thunder but just get Von Seggern's name and truck number that way he get's credit for you. Great company for what I have seen so far. I think that for someone like me that can come straight out of training, and make $4000 to the truck the very first week is doing every pretty good.

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson