User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Von the TMC recruitor told me i would have 1 week paper work load securment then four weeks with trainer because of my driving experiance.
I am just alittle concerned as i haven't done 90 degree dock since school and i have never done a 45 degree dock.
A carhual has its fith wheel located futher back which gives it a bit more response when backing up even though my backing up leaves a little to be desired lol.
It also doesn't turn the same so i had to take all my turns real wide do prevent damage between the tractor and trailer.
I hope they will give me chance as i made a mistake by not going to TMC from school and trying to haul cars. Well you live and learn. But any info on the yard skills test etc would be welcome

The Highlander
Old 05-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo
Hey Von the TMC recruitor told me i would have 1 week paper work load securment then four weeks with trainer because of my driving experiance.
I am just alittle concerned as i haven't done 90 degree dock since school and i have never done a 45 degree dock.
A carhual has its fith wheel located futher back which gives it a bit more response when backing up even though my backing up leaves a little to be desired lol.
It also doesn't turn the same so i had to take all my turns real wide do prevent damage between the tractor and trailer.
I hope they will give me chance as i made a mistake by not going to TMC from school and trying to haul cars. Well you live and learn. But any info on the yard skills test etc would be welcome

The Highlander
There was an experienced driver in my class. They gave him a driving test on the first day of orientation, as they will you. He didn't pass so they just had him stay through the driving part of orientation. No biggy really. In reality you will probably need some training with the spread axle / air dump trailer in backing and turning. You will get a lot of good yard training with the backing instructors, they are excellent and will show you good set ups. You might plan for the whole 2 weeks just in case.

The yard test is a straight line back with a side approach and an alley dock. In the alley dock, after your set up, the tractor is 90 degrees from the alley and the trailer is 45 degrees; I am not super on that terminology

Just be straight with them when you get there.

You will do fine as long as you don't walk on Harold's grass!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:03 PM

Im going to Des Moines this coming monday and I cant wait. Ive got about 8 months under my belt. Now, when they give me a driving test I am curious if they expect you to double clutch. I havent used the clutch since I got out of school. Not sure I remember how LOL! Just looking for a heads up on what to expect. Thank You
Old 05-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Officially they frown upon floating. At my orientation there was one trainer that bitched at you for floating. You can always fake it.

At the final test before my truck was issued the instructor just said "drive in a way that you feel comfortable"

Good luck.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Rookie
Default TMC

I have been watching all the TMC threads for about three or four month's. I was wondering for all the veteran or should I say the more experienced TMC drivers. If knowing what you know, would you do it all over again. Has it provided your families with security (i.e. income) and the home time. All things considered would you still choose the same company. I have been driving for a year and a half or so, and I started out with Swift (enough said) so I have been, or I am trying to be wiser about my selection of companies, I know that not every company is perfect. After all said and done do you see your self retiring from TMC. They sound like a great company and the drivers that are in this forum seem to have a great team enviorment. I have not contributed to this site but have read alot and am gratefull for all the coments good or bad. So if any one would take the time to PM me and give me there insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks drivers and keepem rollin!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys for all the info from this thread. I start school on july 5th and on to des moines after , bar any problems. I'm looking forward to working for TMC and appreciate all the info especially from joker, tcurr and fred. It maybe that i get to meet you guys on the road. I'll let everyone know how it's going later on. Thanks again.
Chris
Old 05-19-2006, 10:21 PM

NC_TRUCKER is soon to be, "T.M.C. TRUCKER"

I have my two week notice in with the company I'm currently driving for then I guess I guess I will be off to Iowa..

I must say, I'm most certainly looking forward to it 100%...
Old 05-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Board Regular

NC, just keep up the great attitude and you will go far. this is a good company. it has its qwarks just like any other but it is how you respond and deal with whatever comes up that will determine how you like it.
if you have any questions/concerns, air them in the forum, if not too personal and we, drivers, can give you an idea or help. thats what we do. you may not get a reply until friday or saturday but we have to make the big $$$'s during the week.
take care
Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Board Regular

i went to the SAFER website and looked over the incident reports. since i have been getting a new safety message about once per day. man, what is going on around here? lots of single vehicle accidents.

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/Car...hichForm=safer
Old 05-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Most of this is probably due to a poor internal audit from the DOT that was rumored to have happened recently. Drivers were not logging fuel stops and tolls properly.
Like I said, rumors, just stuff I picked up at the shippers and truck stops.

Not a rumor. Safety was shutting down many drivers because of hours a few weeks ago. Not sure if that was a warning shot or the new world order.