User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It was a movers and shakers type of day, Stanford managed to survive and OK St hammered Baylor. Bedlam is looking like it's setting up to be a possible shootout. The Pokes let Griffin do his thing but still put up a ton of points on Baylor without giving up many until late.

I was surprised OU responded the way they did after K-St came back and took a 17-14 lead. That lead lasted what, all of a minute thirty? After that it was all OU, great response to giving up the lead.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Board Icon

I haven't been able to get on the computer lately, but what a screwed up year! Well, when is it not?

The loss to Tech in Norman blew my mind. Well, everyone's..
I was talking to a friend of mine, and he said, "Every once in a while, you have one of those fluke games, and it happens to the best programs out there. It's one of those deals where nothing goes right, and it's always when you least expect it, and happens when you play an underdog. That's what happened to OU. You can't explain what happened, other than just a wake up call."
I think he's right.
Ole Tubbs did something that Mike Leach never even came close to doing. Tubbs pulled it off the first time he visited there..

I figured OU would have beaten K State by 10 points, but I didn't think they were going to blow them out.. Guess K State was a little over rated??

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Board Icon

Carolina did the same thing to FSU about 10 years ago in Chapel Hill. FSU came rolling in like 5th in the country and limped back out after suffering a 41-9 beat down. It was John Bunting's first season, in fact UNC was coming off a whipping of their own at the hands of Texas the week prior. Of course the next 3 years FSU payed us back with a couple of whippings. I think that's the only time we have ever beaten FSU.

It does happen to the best of them every now and again when the coaches go lax on the players. Take Nick Saban for example, very high strung but his teams rarely have letdowns because he is always on them about always being better than the play before. Some see it as overbearing but the man just wants to win and make his players better.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Board Icon

Wow... How 'bout them Cowboys?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Board Icon

Unfortunately they didn't beat OU bad enough. If they had hung 60 on'em it may have been enough and more than worth it for both teams. Stoops wouldn't have minded his team getting an extra $1 million had OSU really put it on them and got into the BCS Title game.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Unfortunately they didn't beat OU bad enough. If they had hung 60 on'em it may have been enough and more than worth it for both teams. Stoops wouldn't have minded his team getting an extra $1 million had OSU really put it on them and got into the BCS Title game.
They could have hung a hundred on em and I don't think it would have mattered. The 2 best teams in the country are playing for the national title.....as it should be and IMHO. LSU would have totally embarrased OSU. It would have been another USC vs. OU game. I still say OSU didn't play anybody and let me say this also, this isn't sour grapes. OU deserved to get beat! OSU showed up ready to play and they played a great game along with OU not even showing up.

OSU lost to Iowa St. and OU beat ISU pretty good. OU spanked K-State and OSU struggled with them. It's hard to compare who did what to who and who beat who and who lost to who, so many different situations. I'm going to predict that Stanford beats OSU by 2 touchdowns at least and I'm not sure about OU vs. Iowa but it wouldn't surprise me if Iowa won.

OU and it's coaches should be totally ashamed of what they have put on the field this year, and again....I'm an OU homer. I don't know what's wrong, and I have been saying it for the past few years since the National title, but something is wrong. They don't play with passion, they are lackadaisicle about how they play, and they think they can roll out their helmets on to the field before the game and that's all they have to do to win. To go from #1 in the country to 9-3 and the Insight Bowl is a disgrace. I know some teams would love to be in OU shoes but the local folks are use to better things.

You ought to hear the local radio guy's, and a couple of them are OU alumni. Something HAS to be done in the offseason or Stoops won't even get into his new house before he's run out of town. Every year they show up for a game/games and aren't ready to play, see WVU, Boise St., USC, Missouri, A&M, T-Tech, OSU, Baylor, Florida, K-State among others. If your going to be a National title contender that ain't gonna cut it. I think it hurts recruiting also, thus hurting your chances of staying up there with the BIG BOYS. Maybe Stoops should go talk to Les Miles or Nick Saban and see what their formula is year after year.

What a joke this season was. I know it's "just" a game and I try not to get to wrapped around the axles about it, but if we played well and lost it would be a lot easier to take, but when you don't even show up, it sucks.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Board Icon

What's crazy is that OSU beat more quality teams than Bama did this year. It's hard to fathom but it's true, the guys on ESPN even mentioned that and said that was the reason why the computers appeared to love them so much. Unfortunately it came down to the polls and the voters felt OSU didn't do quite enough. Gary Pinkel better be glad he's going to the SEC next year, he was one who helped screw OSU over. He voted them 5th.

A lot of the points were self-inflicted by OU, 2 turnovers that resulted in a TD and a another that ended with a FG. Take those 14-17 from OSU and give them to OU and the score is MUCH closer. Can't help a ball slipping out of your hand as your rearing back to throw it.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
A lot of the points were self-inflicted by OU, 2 turnovers that resulted in a TD and a another that ended with a FG. Take those 14-17 from OSU and give them to OU and the score is MUCH closer. Can't help a ball slipping out of your hand as your rearing back to throw it.
Maybe that's true, but a "GOOD" ball team doesn't do those kinds of things, and if OU doesn't turn the ball over any? I still think they beat OU convincingly.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I thought OSU deserved a chance to play LSU. Thats the game I would like to see. I'll give them a pass against Iowa State because of the plane crash. Their own administation told them before the game to not dedicate the game to the the people lost, something about not being right to compare their lives lost to a meaningless football game. I agree with the thinking but I believe they could have said it differently, not exactly a pep talk there. So I'll throw that game out and put them in the NC game, they deserve it. I really dont care to see LSU Alabama again. So what if Alabama wins? Big deal, LSU won the first one. So then what, do we have a rubber match? Give OSU their shot. On a side note, even though both teams suck and dont even deserve a bowl, as a Buckeye fan and homer you couldnt get a better game then Florida. How fun is that?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Board Icon

I was surprised to see the Gator take an SEC team since that's normally an ACC-Big East game over the last 10-15 years. Looks like the Gator changed their conference tie-ins after last season, it's Big 10-SEC now. Something weird though seeing the Gators in the Gator Bowl.......:hellno:

Snowman exactly, what if Bama wins? This is why we need a playoff system. If Bama wins a close one and OSU destroys Stanford, I would not be surprised to see yet another split National Title. The BCS head yesterday stated that it wouldn't be fair to the kids to play extra games........but it's fair for ?FCS? down?

I really don't know where to put the blame on OU for that loss. Their D would get a 3 and out only for the O to not do anything with it. Next time out the D would give up a drive that resulted in points. The TO's didn't help, not when OSU has it 1st and Goal on 1 or a short field where they can settle for a FG with a 3 and out.