User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ou football

Just kind of sharing a little "moment".

My son and I had to go to Norman the other day to get his glasses fixed. When we were finished, we went on down to the OU campus cause it's just 4 or 5 blocks away and I always have to drive around the stadium when I'm down that way.:thumbsup:

Anyhoo, we were driving around the south side of the stadium where the practice fields are and some of the guy's were out practicing, so I asked my son, who's 5, if he wanted to get out and watch for a little while. Well the fields are surrounded by Holly bushes so it's hard to get a descent vantage point. We were walking down the sidewalk and one of the players stopped and said to my son, "what's up my man". If you could have seen the look on his face, (my son's). I think it was Cameron Kenney, not sure though.

We went on around where they have screening up and it's right at the end zone and that is where they were coming as they were catching passes. There was a pretty big gap there that gave us a great view. Two more of the players caught passes in front of us and took the time to wave and say hi to my son. It was at this moment that my son informed me he wanted to play football for OU. A pretty cool moment.

There was a lot going on under the stadium and I noticed the gates were open. I asked one of the "guy's" if it was OK to go in and show my son. "No problem". We went in and he ran all the way to the top of the south end zone bleachers, which is no small feat. It's a long ways up there. My season tickets were about halfway up and that was far enough up for me to put off going to the bathroom until I couldn't stand it anymore or the game ended, which ever came first:lol:

I just thought with all the CRAP going on in athletics these days that it was a pretty cool afternoon.

Side note: Blake Bell is a S-T-U-D, STUD! :bow: He's the QB recruit out of Wichita. This is his sophmore season. He's HUGE! 6'-6" 245lbs. and he has a cannon for an arm. Didn't see Landry Jones. The Shepard kid, Derrick Sheppards son, out of a local high school here, wasn't even in the same ballpark with Bell.

I'm all fired up now for the season to begin. opcorn:

Last edited by robertt; 07-01-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Board Icon

Hopefully there is a season with all the investigations going on. Now Oregon is suddenly under the microscope even more. I'm thinking of picking up a D-2 team and cheering them on, at least they end up with a real champ via the playoff system they use and you never hear about schools in trouble down there.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Hopefully there is a season with all the investigations going on. Now Oregon is suddenly under the microscope even more. I'm thinking of picking up a D-2 team and cheering them on, at least they end up with a real champ via the playoff system they use and you never hear about schools in trouble down there.
My D-2 team is the Delaware Blue Hens. I was staioned out there and worked there at the Base in Dover for 20yrs. That's where Joe Flaco came from. There's another QB that came out of there that played in the NFL but I can't remember his name at this moment. It started with a "G". There's a brain teaser for ya.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Board Icon

Your thinking of Rich Gannon.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Your thinking of Rich Gannon.
That's the ticket!:thumbsup: Thanks. I guess I could have looked it up. Played for the Viking's for a while. Did you just pull that out of your hat? That's pretty good football knowledge to come up with a D-2 players name like that, especially since it's been a while.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Board Icon

Why yes I did Rob. He's their most famous sports alum but Flacco is working on replacing him there.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why yes I did Rob. He's their most famous sports alum but Flacco is working on replacing him there.
If Flaco keeps going the way he has, it won't take long. When he was still at Delaware and I was watching him, I couldn't remember the last time I saw an arm that strong. He can whiz a football. I have heard guys talk about Favre and the way his throw's always had a "hiss" to them. I imagine Flaco has something of the same thing.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

3 DAY'S and COUNTING TILL PRACTICE!!! ALL WILL BE RIGHT IN THE WORLD AGAIN!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Board Icon

Hey Rob, what was the deal with OU athletics last week? Was it just the Men's Basketball team that got into trouble? Not good for the other sports, means the NCAA is snooping around Norman. Never have liked Capel, even if his brother did play at UNC, can't stand him still. The VCU fans were so angry when he jetted town suddenly, looks like it was a good thing before he got them into trouble.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Hey Rob, what was the deal with OU athletics last week? Was it just the Men's Basketball team that got into trouble? Not good for the other sports, means the NCAA is snooping around Norman. Never have liked Capel, even if his brother did play at UNC, can't stand him still. The VCU fans were so angry when he jetted town suddenly, looks like it was a good thing before he got them into trouble.
It was actually an assistant coach. He's not here anymore, he was gone soon after the "revelation" came about. Something about recruiting. Supposedly it was a minor violation and it was self reported so they are trying to downplay it. I'm sure they are trying to keep the tone down since they hired Kruger also. He SEEMS to be the real deal, really involved, and really involves the students and public. They are trying to get started off the right foot, so to speak.

People here couldn't stand Capel either. After Griffin left it was all over. If he couldn't win with that team, he wasn't going to win with any team. I didn't care much for him either, from the beginning I just had a bad vibe about him. Maybe it was the way he left VCU hanging, if he would do it to them he would do it to anybody. Everybody was all wrapped up at first about him playing for coach K, they thought he was going to be a savior. That's about all I know right now. I'll let you know of any breaking developments.

Did I mention there are only 3 day's until practice starts? I'm almost giddy:clap:. It means the cool weather is just around the corner too. Now I know I'm giddy:thumbsup: