User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any Soccer Fans Out There?

Looking through the posts here I noticed many football and car threads but I haven't seen a soccer one! I played soccer for a long time growing up and have been a fan all my life. I mostly follow MLS but I do like the EPL as well. I am a Seattle Sounders fan and my favorite player was Kasey Keller but he retired and so now I would say my favorite is Alonzo. He is just a great player and I think often overlooked because of Montero and other big names up front. But when we play without him (not very often) the mid-field is a mess! He can really shut it down.
Ok enough of my rambling... Anyone else out there? Who's your favorite team/player? And has anyone else noticed how terrible the refs are??
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Board Icon

Right here bud, Man U all the way for the EPL and DC United for MLS. wot i life might be along sometime soon, he's a Scot I think. You just know how those UK folks love their football! I forget what his team(s) are at the moment.

I'm stunned at Fergie's choices in the first 2 EPL games. No Chicarito or Berbatov in either game and we are lucky to not be 0-0-2 right now. Now there is a rumor that Rooney is not only out for at least a month but it's possible he may be on his way out of Old Trafford. Glad we swiped Van Persie from Arsenal but lord he needs help out there. He can't do it all by himself like he did at Arsenal, look at what happened there, they looked like a 2nd rate team last year with Van Persie as their only real threat.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Glad I'm not the only one! And I know what you mean about Man U. There are some big changes going on in the EPL. Have you seen this?? http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fiorent...0592--sow.html I haven't heard about Rooney leaving, only about his injury. It seems pretty bad though.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Senior Board Member

play rugby you girls
Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Board Icon

The EPL is like rugby at times. I do watch some rugby too when the BBC shows it here. It's normally 6 Nations, on the very rare occasion though a local channel near me will show Aussie rules matches late at night. Rugby is a hard sport to understand to me. I thought I had it somewhat understood then watched a 6 Nations match and found myself back at square 1 figuring out what was different. Too many differing versions. The US hosted some World Cup event last summer was it? in Las Vegas but it was with less men on the field and different sets of rules.

No I hadn't seen that yet and I don't blame Berbatov one bit for wanting out. He had a great season a few years ago as the top goal scorer right after Ronaldo left and has sat on the bench since. Paying him very good money to sit...............I really thought he would have been gone before last season and wouldn't have blamed him then. He is one heck of playmaker when he's out there which was rare. Same thing with Hernandez, great season last year WHEN he was allowed to play. My gosh how can you sit someone with that talent when the wheels started coming off near the end of the season last year? Same thing this year it seems, Fergie did not allow him to play for Mexico at the Olympics(as it turned out it wasn't such a bad deal for the team) because the start of the season was just around the corner. Yet here he sits on the bench, if I were Hernandez I'd be looking to get out too. It was obvious last year Hernandez was hot while Rooney wasn't and yet Rooney was the man............Fergie I'm afraid has lost his touch about like Wenger at Arsenal. 2 great goal scorers getting splinters up their arse.

You don't have an EPL team you follow do you Cushion?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Rookie

Ruby confuses me too. I have watched it when nothing else was on but I don't really know the rules. Makes it hard to figure out what's going on!
And Mr.Ford95 I don't have a EPL team that I follow but I like watching the games and so I watch a bunch of different teams. There are teams that I root for/against when they are playing though! Like I dislike Chelsea and root against them every time they play. But I mostly like the EPL players. The MLS is good and getting better but the EPL players are just really good. So I like watching good teams play because they seem to do more tricky moves and the play is a lot faster. I guess I just like the game of soccer more than a specific team when it comes to the EPL. MLS is a different story! I am a Sounder through and through haha and I really get into their games.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Board Icon

You ought to check out La Liga then. It's the Spanish football league. They play a wide open, fast break style of soccer. I believe the Italians play the same way with their Serie A League.

The MLS hasn't done too awful bad against the EPL teams here recently. The EPL is the top rated league in the world so just being able to hang with them is good enough in my book. I think the only reason they hang though is that the EPL teams play such a rough and tumble style. It's a slower pace. Put any MLS team up against a Real Madrid or AC Milan and it could be ugly for the MLS. Your taking on guys like Lionel Messi who is real good in 1 vs 2 situations by pulling a single move off and he's got the best of them.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Rookie

I have watched some La Liga and Serie A! Basically I watch whatever I can get whenever its on. My buddies all like watching soccer too so we talk about different leagues/teams/players. Probably why I don't have a favorite team. I think the EPL is the most well-known in the States but I like to see some variety.

Messi is ridiculous. Did you happen to see the Barca/Madrid game a couple days ago? There is a free kick Messi takes that is insane! Lionel Messi brilliant free-kick! HD Real Madrid vs Barcelona, Supercopa 2012 - YouTube He has so much ball control. He might be one of my favorite players to watch because he can take on multiple defenders and make them look like fools haha

And I agree with you about how the EPL is a bit slower. I don't even want to think about how an MLS team would do against someone like Barca... It would be a slaughter! That's one thing I'ver really noticed with the Sounders is that when they play slow they don't do as well. It seems like if a team could handle speeding up the game other MLS teams wouldn't be able to handle them.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Board Icon

So Berbatov got out while he could and he wasted little time in letting loose a tongue lashing directed at Fergie. It did give some insight into what Man U is up to and why certain players are not out there. I do wonder why Rooney was out there if Fergie wants a more fast paced team. He tends to be a ball hog and only picks up the pace if he has an odd man rush going or working on a breakaway. Berbatov admitted that he's never been that type of player, up tempo, so leaving was his only option.

I got a friend who's a big Sounder fan also Cushion. They get some good football weather up there just like you see in England a lot of times. Were they an expansion team or an MLS team that has moved there?

Tags
mls, soccer, sports