Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
ok, there are 24 hours in 24 period so the maximum number of hours you could drive in a 24 period would be 24.. I didnt say maximum allowed, I said maximum possible. Okay, Rev, let's see you dispute that
It depends what day of the year it is. On March 9 of this year, there are only 23 hours in the day, and on November 2nd, there are 25 hours. So there. :P
doesnt matter,I said a 24 hour period, not a day.. SO THERE... NANA BOO_BOO
Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Default Re: logging no no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete
I now run the same route 5 nights a week and am home from about 0200-1500 hrs.
this is where the question comes in. I am logging this time on line 1 off duty. An other driver said thats wrong(I know I shouldn't listen but now worry about it) he said it should be logged on line 2 or I need a hotel reciept for DOT. I start logging and end at the same time and same location so it's evident that I must be home.
Its very simple if you are out of the truck sleeping at home then your off duty and the guy is a flake,, your correct he is wrong... :evil: :twisted:
Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgardner963
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete
I now run the same route 5 nights a week and am home from about 0200-1500 hrs.
this is where the question comes in. I am logging this time on line 1 off duty. An other driver said thats wrong(I know I shouldn't listen but now worry about it) he said it should be logged on line 2 or I need a hotel reciept for DOT. I start logging and end at the same time and same location so it's evident that I must be home.
Its very simple if you are out of the truck sleeping at home then your off duty and the guy is a flake,, your correct he is wrong... :evil: :twisted:
Thats right. If you are not in the sleeper berth.....you are to log "off duty". Its as simple as that.

While its best to have a copy of a motel bill to substantiate a stay in a motel, its not 100% necessary. I stay in motels that the company has contracts with....I just sign in and sign out. I do not necessarily get a copy of the bill. If I show more than 10 consecutive hours off duty the point is "moot". I have met the requirements according to the "Fed". http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ochure2005.htm

The answer to a possible rebuttal: In the event a DOT officer wants proof that I stayed in a motel....I would hit the auto-dial on my cell phone calling the terminal that pays that motels bill...and have them validate the log entry to the nice officer. Push come to shove...if the officer insists on seeing the motel bill...a call to the motel with the DOT's fax number would take care of that.

But, funny thing is....I have NEVER been asked for the motel bill...

Oh, if for some reason I stay in a motel due to "breakdown" away from a terminal....and I pay the bill and send it in for re-imbursement... I do keep a copy of the bill with me....as much to compare to my pay statement as anything else.

Trucker math: A method of computing numbers that arrives at the desired results with absolutely no correlation to reality" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
The answer to a possible rebuttal: In the event a DOT officer wants proof that I stayed in a motel....
Why would a DOT officer want proof that you stayed in a motel? There's no FMCSA regulation that says you have to.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Rookie

Pre-trip is only required once every 24 hours.

Mark
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9
Pre-trip is only required once every 24 hours.

Mark
There you go again pre trip is in your day. 1 If you change trailers 2. at anytime you stop for more then 10 hours or any change of service.. :twisted:
Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There you go again pre trip is in your day. 1 If you change trailers 2. at anytime you stop for more then 10 hours or any change of service.. :twisted:
Quote the regulation for your statement.

kc0iv
Old 02-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:

kc0iv
Quote:
§396.13 Driver inspection.

Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;

(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and

(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.
A trailer is part of the vehicle, and requires an inspection prior to operating it.

Quote:
§396.11 Driver Vehicle Inspection Report(s)

Question 2: Does §396.11 require that the power unit and the trailer be inspected?

Guidance: Yes. A driver must be satisfied that both the power unit and the trailer are in safe operating condition before operating the combination.

Question 3: May more than one power unit be included on the DVIR if two or more power units were used by a driver during one day's work?

Guidance: No. A separate DVIR must be prepared for each power unit operated during the day's work.
§396.13 states that before operating the motor vehicle, the driver must inspect it to make sure it is in safe operating condition. §396.11 states that every unit must be inspected before operating the combination.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

kc0iv
Quote:

(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.
A trailer is part of the vehicle, and requires an inspection prior to operating it.

Quote:

Question 2: Does §396.11 require that the power unit and the trailer be inspected?

Guidance: Yes. A driver must be satisfied that both the power unit and the trailer are in safe operating condition before operating the combination.

Question 3: May more than one power unit be included on the DVIR if two or more power units were used by a driver during one day's work?

Guidance: No. A separate DVIR must be prepared for each power unit operated during the day's work.
§396.13 states that before operating the motor vehicle, the driver must inspect it to make sure it is in safe operating condition. §396.11 states that every unit must be inspected before operating the combination.
Rev.Vassago,

Needless to say I know those rules. However, I want to see the part that says "2. at anytime you stop for more then 10 hours or any change of service.."

kc0iv
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

kc0iv
Quote:

Quote:

Rev.Vassago,

Needless to say I know those rules. However, I want to see the part that says "2. at anytime you stop for more then 10 hours or any change of service.."

kc0iv
Any time you start driving the vehicle, including after a 10 hour break or any other change of duty status, you are required to inspect the vehicle. Technically, mdgardner is correct, as you need to inspect the vehicle after a 10 hour break or more. What he isn't taking into account is that you also need to inspect it after a break of less than 10 hours, or any other time you are going to drive the vehicle.