Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat6869
The truck or trailer should not be driven unless they was repaired or it's shame on the company
No, it's shame on the driver.
but if it's day 8 then you gain back all the repairs that you had done on day one and you dont have to worry about it. that's how I been doing it since 1972 or 1997 or whatever year I started
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Board Icon

REV said:

Quote:
§396.13 Driver inspection.

Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;
NOTE the word SATISFIED!

Quote:
(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and
OBVIOUSLY, this is not necessary if YOU are the last driver! So this reg applies to starting a shift/coming on duty and getting your assigned equipment.

Quote:
(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.
Quote:
A trailer is part of the vehicle, and requires an inspection prior to operating it.
Yes.... this is true, but ONLY when you first pick it up/ or drop it. [And THAT is only specified in the guidance... not in the reg.]

Quote:
§396.11 Driver Vehicle Inspection Report(s)

Question 2: Does §396.11 require that the power unit and the trailer be inspected?

Guidance: Yes. A driver must be satisfied that both the power unit and the trailer are in safe operating condition before operating the combination.

Question 3: May more than one power unit be included on the DVIR if two or more power units were used by a driver during one day's work?

Guidance: No. A separate DVIR must be prepared for each power unit operated during the day's work.
Hmmm....question 3 doesn't specifically mention TRAILERS.... but I think they meant to include them! [Actually, I found a reference to trailers, and it says that you can combine more than one trailer on a DVIR, or that your DVIR may reference a trailer you no longer HAVE!

Quote:
§396.13 states that before operating the motor vehicle, the driver must inspect it to make sure it is in safe operating condition. §396.11 states that every unit must be inspected before operating the combination.
NO IT DOESN'T!! It says you must be SATISFIED.... NOT that you must "inspect it." "Satisfaction" can be gotten by reviewing the last DVIR and ensuring that any defects were corrected.

KC0iv said:

Quote:
Rev.Vassago,

Needless to say I know those rules. However, I want to see the part that says "2. at anytime you stop for more then 10 hours or any change of service.."
REV answered:

Quote:
Any time you start driving the vehicle, including after a 10 hour break or any other change of duty status, you are required to inspect the vehicle.
WRONG! You are required to be "satisfied."

REV said:

Quote:
Technically, mdgardner is correct, as you need to inspect the vehicle after a 10 hour break or more. What he isn't taking into account is that you also need to inspect it after a break of less than 10 hours, or any other time you are going to drive the vehicle.
That is EXACTLY what he is "taking into account!" HE'S the one who said it, and he is wrong (and so are YOU!)

I'm with KC on this one! THERE is NO requirement that you "INSPECT" the vehicle after every 10 hour break.... and CERTAINLY not after every change of duty status (like a 15 min break to take a leak or to fuel!) :roll:

Now, personally, I DO "inspect" the combination after every 8 or 10 hour break, but I don't LOG them all! And I certainly don't fill out a DVIR! If I park on a fuel island for 15 mins to fuel and go to the bathroom, I usually take that time to also do a quick walk around to SATISFY myself that all is still WELL! But, I am NOT "required to inspect" anything everytime I make a change of duty status! :roll:

Unlike many who drop and hook different trailers several times a day or week, I am with the SAME equipment for up to 7-8 days at a time. I log ONE 15 minute "inspection" per 24 hour period, regardless of how long it actually takes me, and the rest of the time.... I "satisfy" myself that all is in working condition before "operating." I sign ONE DVIR (on the back of each log sheet) for each day (and as a team operator, I notice that even THAT is not necessary.... as long as ONE of us does!

I have been driving since 1842.... or is that 2042..... and I'm quite clear on the intention of the regs! :lol: ONE DVIR for each piece of equipment operated per day. I may not agree with the regs, but they actually state that one must be "satisfied" with the condition of the equipment that the "last driver" left him.... and must thoroughly INSPECT that equipment before leaving it to ANOTHER!

Before posting this, I thoroughly researched the regs. So.... let the flaming begin!! I am prepared to defend my statements.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
REV said:

Quote:
§396.13 Driver inspection.

Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;
NOTE the word SATISFIED!

Quote:
(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and
OBVIOUSLY, this is not necessary if YOU are the last driver! So this reg applies to starting a shift/coming on duty and getting your assigned equipment.

Quote:
(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.
Quote:
A trailer is part of the vehicle, and requires an inspection prior to operating it.
Yes.... this is true, but ONLY when you first pick it up/ or drop it. [And THAT is only specified in the guidance... not in the reg.]

Quote:
§396.11 Driver Vehicle Inspection Report(s)

Question 2: Does §396.11 require that the power unit and the trailer be inspected?

Guidance: Yes. A driver must be satisfied that both the power unit and the trailer are in safe operating condition before operating the combination.

Question 3: May more than one power unit be included on the DVIR if two or more power units were used by a driver during one day's work?

Guidance: No. A separate DVIR must be prepared for each power unit operated during the day's work.
Hmmm..... doesn't specifically mention TRAILERS.... but I think they meant to include them! [Actually, I found a reference to trailers, and it says that you can combine more than one trailer on a DVIR, or that your DVIR may reference a trailer you no longer HAVE!

Quote:
§396.13 states that before operating the motor vehicle, the driver must inspect it to make sure it is in safe operating condition. §396.11 states that every unit must be inspected before operating the combination.
NO IT DOESN'T!! It says you must be SATISFIED.... NOT that you must "inspect it." "Satisfaction" can be gotten by reviewing the last DVIR and ensuring that any defects were corrected.

KC0iv said:

Quote:
Rev.Vassago,

Needless to say I know those rules. However, I want to see the part that says "2. at anytime you stop for more then 10 hours or any change of service.."
REV answered:

Quote:
Any time you start driving the vehicle, including after a 10 hour break or any other change of duty status, you are required to inspect the vehicle.
WRONG! You are required to be "satisfied."

REV said:

Quote:
Technically, mdgardner is correct, as you need to inspect the vehicle after a 10 hour break or more. What he isn't taking into account is that you also need to inspect it after a break of less than 10 hours, or any other time you are going to drive the vehicle.
That is EXACTLY what he is "taking into account!" HE'S the one who said it, and he is wrong (and so are YOU!)

I'm with KC on this one! THERE is NO requirement that you "INSPECT" the vehicle after every 10 hour break.... and CERTAINLY not after every change of duty status (like a 15 min break to take a leak or to fuel!) :roll:

Now, personally, I DO "inspect" the combination after every 8 or 10 hour break, but I don't LOG them all! And I certainly don't fill out a DVIR! If I park on a fuel island for 15 mins to fuel and go to the bathroom, I usually take that time to also do a quick walk around to SATISFY myself that all is still WELL! But, I am NOT "required to inspect" anything everytime I make a change of duty status! :roll:

Unlike many who drop and hook different trailers several times a day or week, I am with the SAME equipment for up to 7-8 days at a time. I log ONE 15 minute "inspection" per 24 hour period, regardless of how long it actually takes me, and the rest of the time.... I "satisfy" myself that all is in working condition before "operating." I sign ONE DVIR (on the back of each log sheet) for each day (and as a team operator, I notice that even THAT is not necessary.... as long as ONE of us does!

I have been driving since 1842.... or is that 2042..... and I'm quite clear on the intention of the regs! :lol: ONE DVIR for each piece of equipment operated per day. I may not agree with the regs, but they actually state that one must be "satisfied" with the condition of the equipment that the "last driver" left him.... and must thoroughly INSPECT that equipment before leaving it to ANOTHER!

Before posting this, I thoroughly researched the regs. So.... let the flaming begin!! I am prepared to defend my statements.
At a quick glance seems like you have a great understanding!

It is true only one driver if team operations must inspect the vehicle, but I wanted to note many companies (NOT ALL) will have both drivers inspect it. I would not trust the co-driver to do his/her job correctly as my life is in jeopardy . It just depends really, plus it's harder for the auditor to go back and forth to see who did do it. It depends on the # of drivers. I say 4 eyes are better than 2. :lol:
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Board Member

you people have convinced me, I am going to stop and do a complete inspection every 10 minutes
Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
you people have convinced me, I am going to stop and do a complete inspection every 10 minutes
Nah - you'll be fine if you do it at every stop light. Of course, if the light changes, you have to do ANOTHER one.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchgs
Quote:
Nah - you'll be fine if you do it at every stop light. Of course, if the light changes, you have to do ANOTHER one.
Naw..... THAT would be a change of duty status for the Traffic Light..... NOT the driver! :wink:

BTW..... how many stop lights ARE there on I-40 from Wilmington, NC to Barstow, CA?? :shock: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.