User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Medical Problem?

I would like to see if anyone knows what type of medical problems or medication would keep a person from getting a "cdl" or passing the physical. For me, it was back in 2006 when I had a heart problem while vacationing in Florida and was in the hospital for a week. After returning home and being off work for 3 months - got the green light to return back to work and still doing the same job (law enforcement) when I had the problem. My current employer had nothing to say about my medical condition as long as the doctor gave me the green light to return to work. I am considering getting my "cdl" and retiring in 2010 with 20yrs in, but wondering if my medical problem and medication will keep me from driving? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED........
Old 03-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll beat UTURN to it. There isn't a no-no list of drugs in the regs. It's pretty much whatever the company has a requirement for.

Before you spend money on school for your CDL I would suggest calling some of the companies that you think that you might be interested in and discuss the situation with one of the recruiters. Oh, If you don't know which companies you are itnerested in, flip a coin.

I'm a Diabetic with High Blood Pressure and so far the only thing that I've needed is a medical release (on the companies forms) from my doctor.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help, been looking at the following, TMC, MAVERICK, US XPRESS, ROEHL & SCHNEIDER. I will give them a call and see what they say. I thought I better check before I get my 20, but then again they let me carry a gun after I got the "good to go" sign.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM

There is a list of medical conditions and drugs that do not allow you to have a cdl or drive a big truck.. The Dept of Transportation has a list at the goverment website.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1781

(b) A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person —

(b)(1) Has no loss of a foot, a leg, a hand, or an arm, or has been granted a skill performance evaluation certificate pursuant to §391.49;

(b)(2) Has no impairment of:

(b)(2)(i) A hand or finger which interferes with prehension or power grasping; or

(b)(2)(ii) An arm, foot, or leg which interferes with the ability to perform normal tasks associated with operating a commercial motor vehicle; or any other significant limb defect or limitation which interferes with the ability to perform normal tasks associated with operating a commercial motor vehicle; or has been granted a skill performance evaluation certificate pursuant to §391.49.

(b)( 3 ) Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of diabetes mellitus currently requiring insulin for control;

(b)(4) Has no current clinical diagnosis of myocardial infarction, angina pectoris, coronary insufficiency, thrombosis, or any other cardiovascular disease of a variety known to be accompanied by syncope, dyspnea, collapse, or congestive cardiac failure;

(b)(5) Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of a respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with his/her ability to control and drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;

(b)(6) Has no current clinical diagnosis of high blood pressure likely to interfere with his/her ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle safely;

(b) ( 7 ) Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of rheumatic, arthritic, orthopedic, muscular, neuromuscular, or vascular disease which interferes with his/her ability to control and operate a commercial motor vehicle safely;

(b) ( 8 ) Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of epilepsy or any other condition which is likely to cause loss of consciousness or any loss of ability to control a commercial motor vehicle;

(b)(9) Has no mental, nervous, organic, or functional disease or psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with his/her ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;

(b)(10) Has distant visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in each eye without corrective lenses or visual acuity separately corrected to 20/40 (Snellen) or better with corrective lenses, distant binocular acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in both eyes with or without corrective lenses, field of vision of at least 70° in the horizontal meridian in each eye, and the ability to recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber;

(b)(11) First perceives a forced whispered voice in the better ear at not less than 5 feet with or without the use of a hearing aid or, if tested by use of an audiometric device, does not have an average hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40 decibels at 500 Hz, 1,000 Hz, and 2,000 Hz with or without a hearing aid when the audiometric device is calibrated to American National Standard (formerly ASA Standard) Z24.5-1951;

(b)(12)(i) Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.

(b)(12)(ii) Exception. A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who:

(b)(12)(ii)(A) Is familiar with the driver's medical history and assigned duties; and

(b)(12)(ii)(B) Has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle; and

(b)(13) Has no current clinical diagnosis of alcoholism.

21 C.F.R. 1308 Schedule 1
http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title21....9.0.25.4.html
Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info
Old 03-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Rookie

Trust me, I can give you some detailed insight into this. The regs that driver's quote from the fmcsr are the very basics. What most driver's are not aware of is that the fmcsa routinely elicits the expertise of medical doctors that contribute to panels and studies to determine opinions on a myriad of medications, medical conditions, etc. Some are automatic disqualifications and others obviously, are not. The trouble you will run into is that you will not get a recruiter to give you a resounding yes, or no because legally, they cannot. In most situations a company has to wait until you are seen by the company doctor before they can ask you for this or that. Also, the majority of the time it is the doctor who has the final discretion as to whether he will certify you or not. Keep in mind that when you go to take a physical for a trucking company you are not only taking one based on dot regulations but you are also taking one based on that particular carrier's job functions. Just as an example...the dot doesn't care whether you have an unrepaired hernia or not but most every company will because it's a pre-existing condition that can be further complicated. The bottom line is this...you probably won't know what you need or can or can't do until you take that first company physical. The best thing you can do is find a doctor who is very proficient in dot physicals and regulations and find out if you have a condition that will be an automatic disqualifier and above all, be prepared with documentation that may be asked of you.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Medical Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtccso
For me, it was back in 2006 when I had a heart problem while vacationing in Florida and was in the hospital for a week..
Hi Sgt, If you don't mind me asking, did you have a heart attack?
I would be very interested to see what you find out when contacting the companies. I am somewhat in the same boat but it was 2003.

It sounds like the company doc's make the call which probably isnt good for people with heart problems even if they are past events and fully recovered.

Please pass along any info you find out, it would be much appreciated!

Good luck to you!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Rookie

Will do MacDad.....
Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 AM
Senior Board Member

The "final" call so to speak is going to be a company specific thing. Some companies will allow just about anything so long as the doctor who performs the medical qualification exam does not have a problem, others however will stop people on certain meds, with certain conditions, etc right at the door.

When you are getting ready to retire from your current career what I suggest you do is see your primary care doctor as well as your cardiologist and talk to both about your condition as well as your current meds and what you are wanting to do (drive trucks) and see if they feel you are healthy enough and that your meds do not pose a safety concern. When you talk to them it would be a good idea to print off a current copy of the FMCSA regs that pertain to the medical qualifications of drivers and take that with you so that all of you are on the same page.

If a problem arises see what you can do to correct it, if no problems arrise then have them write a letter stating that you have no current problems, what meds you are taking, doses, and that they do not pose a safety concern for you and driving a CMV.

Like I said before some companies may shut you down before you even get going, but if everything checks out with your private doctors then the majority of companies should give you a chance. USXpress and Schnieder are two companies with long lists of medications and conditions they will not allow, FYI, and the lists you can find on the net about banned medications are usually from one of those two companies.