User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
My 99 KW keeps going UP in value................
i'm waiting until april.. then my 99 (98, 97) will go up as well. (trying to soften the blow lol that i need to buy something. )
Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

OOIDA might be the only real entity to file against the mandate, but they also are like a poor marksman and miss the target on several other issues and spend a lot of time and resources on stuff that really is not going to be of any major benefit. That is why I have let my membership lapse a few years ago. They continually gave me the impression that they were trying to be a union instead of a organization. One of the issues that initiated turning me off to OOIDA was the Minnesota fatigued driver situation and their approach to dealing with it. While the also took the shotgun approach to the issue in Minnesota, they virtually offered no ground level guidance from their legal department on how an individual driver should handle this if they encounter it.

I do agree, that this whole ELD thing is really unnecessary, in general terms. There are a lot of folks who play fast and loose on paper though. But it seems more of a penalty to put the cost and hassle of an ELD on everyone because of the antics of the few. I have always contended that those that the FMCSA has problems with should have this kind of thing done to them. But to have the entire trucking sector to get saddled with this is overkill to the nth degree. But that is how things are usually done at the guberment level. The at risk fallacy and the cure is the shotgun approach.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
OOIDA might be the only real entity to file against the mandate, but they also are like a poor marksman and miss the target on several other issues and spend a lot of time and resources on stuff that really is not going to be of any major benefit. That is why I have let my membership lapse a few years ago. They continually gave me the impression that they were trying to be a union instead of a organization. One of the issues that initiated turning me off to OOIDA was the Minnesota fatigued driver situation and their approach to dealing with it. While the also took the shotgun approach to the issue in Minnesota, they virtually offered no ground level guidance from their legal department on how an individual driver should handle this if they encounter it.

I do agree, that this whole ELD thing is really unnecessary, in general terms. There are a lot of folks who play fast and loose on paper though. But it seems more of a penalty to put the cost and hassle of an ELD on everyone because of the antics of the few. I have always contended that those that the FMCSA has problems with should have this kind of thing done to them. But to have the entire trucking sector to get saddled with this is overkill to the nth degree. But that is how things are usually done at the guberment level. The at risk fallacy and the cure is the shotgun approach.
thank you! here is my problem with OOIDA. first let me say i'm glad they're fighting this.. now. but my question is.. where have they been on this since 2011? they want a ELD mandate? make it for those who are constantly getting caught with violations.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
thank you! here is my problem with OOIDA. first let me say i'm glad they're fighting this.. now. but my question is.. where have they been on this since 2011? they want a ELD mandate? make it for those who are constantly getting caught with violations.

They have been fighting this since the beginning.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Pardon my cynicism, but OOIDA really didn't sound off as loudly as they proclaim until this was about to become reality. I am persuaded that they indeed are comfortable with an ELD mandate to give themselves the appearance of fighting for the "little guy" and further justify their existence and garnering more revenue. Like I stated earlier, they already exposed who they were during the Minnesota fatigued driver issue by approaching it only in a manner that would bring headlines to themselves than actually providing their membership with substantive "on the ground" ways of dealing with this. I never once read in their magazine, website, or emails of any methods from their legal arm on how drivers should deal with this if confronted, which would have been more productive than fiddling around and waiting to pull off another headline lawsuit. I never saw OOIDA provide a number to call if found in this situation so that OOIDA could both suggest counsel or even make record of the occurrence. And running around and spending member resources on hot fuel issues and other stuff that gives them all veneer of a Robin Hood fighting against the "evil oil companies", but all the while not accomplishing anything. Much in the same way many unions will proclaim from the housetops how much they are doing for their membership, but all the while, they have very little concern for the membership and only interested in pursuing those agendas that support the union leadership.

Last edited by Copperhead; 01-10-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree that OOIDA has had mixed success with different issues. I believe they did get the Minnesota fatigue issue set aside. It has been awhile since I have looked at the issue, so I don't recall too much about it other than some DOT officers were abusing the issue. I believe OOIDA attacked the issue based upon the officers not being medically qualified to make a determination as to who is fatigued.

OOIDA did play a major role in getting the original bill fail to pass the elog bill when it was a stand alone bill. It only passed when it was put in a highway bill at the last minute, that no one read. They also filed a lawsuit concerning elogs encouraging some carriers to harass drivers. That suit initially succeeded and then failed. They have now filed another lawsuit that is still not settled. I think that OODIA could do a better job in some instances, but they are the only organization that we have to keep us informed of critical issues and to fight for things in which we believe. We don't have any other options for owner operators, smaller fleets or company drivers. The only major player is the ATA and they are the ones pushing some of the legislation, such as elogs. In fact, we would not have an elog law were it not for the American Trucking Association. I am a lifetime OOIDA member and will continue supporting them. There are no other options, at this point. One major reason that I continue to support them is that they keep me informed concerning proposed rule making and issued that directly effect this industry. I don't have time to do the research about proposed legislation or rules. OOIDA keeps me informed and I can act accordingly. It gives me time to contact my congressional representatives to express my views. Without OOIDA, I would probably not know about any of these proposed laws or rules until after the fact. Until another organization comes along that will offer better representation, I will continue to support them.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, nobody is perfect, but OOIDA it's the only one in our corner. But OOIDA only as strong, as it's membership. Power to the people!))
Old 01-11-2016, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is true, solo. I may not agree with OOIDA on all issues, but I agree with them more than I disagree. Besides, they are the only game in town.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Rookie

I have a 2000 fld and a 94 pete for sale
Old 03-17-2016, 06:07 AM
Senior Board Member

The only thing I have find OOIDA useful for is their BOC-3 filing. Other than that, I get their news email everyday. You would think that as many members they have they would have better discounts. I've gotten way better discounts on my own.