User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
I signed up at truckers report while I waited for activation here and it only took me a day to get banned because I called another member "slow".
That really depresses me. I signed up there with the specific intention of getting banned, and it took a few weeks to actually happen. :cry:
Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I called another member "slow".
pot... kettle... black....
Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
I called another member "slow".
pot... kettle... black....
You forgot ...calling
Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Okay, so let's assume his break even is $1.30.
Why would we "assume" anything?

Quote:
The fact is he is making money if he averages $1.31/mi
Of course he would. At $1.31 per mile, I, plus every other taxpayer, would end up paying him because he would be a welfare recipient.

$0.01 per mile X 108,000 miles per year = $1080 per year for wages, $0.00 per year profit.

Still sounds like you are trying to justify hauling cheap.
I assume because I do not handle his books. I know his major costs truck payment and insurance and some of the small costs, but do not know how much for example his last oil change cost or the exact amount he spent to change out a tire he blew last week.

If I were planning to enter the business I would have no idea the exact expenses I would incur. However, I could assume my expenses would be similar to what your are or similar to what my fathers are.

I'm really not even sure what the definition of cheap freight is, but if cheap freight is less than the break even my father won't haul it unless it gets him to better freight. I absolutely know he will not deadhead over 100 miles unless the freight needs to be picked up now or the freight pays to cover the deadhead.

Dad's probably not going to be collecting welfare anytime soon. He has rental property in three States. He just bought some property in WA where he'll be building a home to retire.

LOL....If Dad really is planning on retiring to WA and bought property there....tell hom to make sure he has awesome views from EVERY window!!!

Right now....at $1.80 per mile....your Dad is hauling Cheap Freight.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Taking all that into account I have never booked him a load paying less than $1.40/mi and most have been in the $1.80-$2.00 range.
Taking into account todays fuel prices that is equal to .80 to 1.40 freight of a year or two ago. Short haul flatbed freight (400 - 500 miles) should be at least $1100 to $1400.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Of course he would. At $1.31 per mile, I, plus every other taxpayer, would end up paying him because he would be a welfare recipient.

$0.01 per mile X 108,000 miles per year = $1080 per year for wages, $0.00 per year profit.

I assume because I do not handle his books. I know his major costs truck payment and insurance and some of the small costs, but do not know how much for example his last oil change cost or the exact amount he spent to change out a tire he blew last week.

If I were planning to enter the business I would have no idea the exact expenses I would incur. However, I could assume my expenses would be similar to what your are or similar to what my fathers are.

I'm really not even sure what the definition of cheap freight is, but if cheap freight is less than the break even my father won't haul it unless it gets him to better freight. I absolutely know he will not deadhead over 100 miles unless the freight needs to be picked up now or the freight pays to cover the deadhead.

Dad's probably not going to be collecting welfare anytime soon. He has rental property in three States. He just bought some property in WA where he'll be building a home to retire.

LOL....If Dad really is planning on retiring to WA and bought property there....tell hom to make sure he has awesome views from EVERY window!!!

He bought property on a hill overlooking the straight of Juan de Fuca. Near Port Angeles.

As far as hauling cheap, $1.80 is what freight is moving for on the load boards.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:

He bought property on a hill overlooking the straight of Juan de Fuca. Near Port Angeles.

As far as hauling cheap, $1.80 is what freight is moving for on the load boards.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A buck eighty a mile won't cover the cost of living there.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You truly are delusional......
Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ooooooooooooh! That is good view territory!! Can he see Hurricane Ridge...or did he buy property on the ridge???

Build a loghouse...not one of them nasty azz stickbuilt ones...a real loghouse..with lot's of windows...stress those windows!! He could get this outfit I know in Port Townsend, to set him up properly Even go wiht a Cedar house!!!
Lot's and lot's to see out there. A Deck where you can sit and enjoy the view across to Vancouver Island, or turn and look up the ridge to the tops of the Olympics....that is a MUST DO item!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Jeez, is that all you guys are getting for a flat on GL & ITS? What length of haul is that?

BTW, is DH included in your Dad's $1.29? And what is his DH?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
Well I call BS on what some of you are saying...

Tarped loads generally pay more anyway
I disagree...kind of. Often loads that need to be tarped are commodities and commodities are almost always cheap freight. Lumber and coils are prime examples. Cheap cheap cheap. Now take machinery....rarely needs a tarp and pays much better. But when it does need a tarp, I can usually get $100 - $150 extra if they forget to mention it until after we've already established the rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
....and trying to get MORE for a tarped load is almost impossible. There are people who say they get more to tarp but that is BS most of the time.
Here's how I can get more sometimes. Y'know when they try to hide the fact that it needs a tarp.....like how they sneak it in on the rate confirmation after they've already called the customer to "authorize" that extra high rate that they supposedly couldn't pay? That's when I call them back and tell them they never mentioned a tarp and I need an extra $150. By this time they are too embarrassed to call the shipper AGAIN, so they usually cave.