User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

GMAN, You get paid to tarp, but do you untarp for free, a $50 tarp charge is only 25 on 25 off
I have a very good deal with the shipper I haul for quite a bit, I pay them to tarp and when I arrive my piece is wrapped up and ready to go and the consignee get to keep the tarp.(blue throwaways) I don't like to get hot and sweaty like notsteve.

Quote:
Dad's probably not going to be collecting welfare anytime soon. He has rental property in three States. He just bought some property in WA where he'll be building a home to retire.
Another Hobby Trucker?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
I assume because I do not handle his books. I know his major costs truck payment and insurance and some of the small costs, but do not know how much for example his last oil change cost or the exact amount he spent to change out a tire he blew last week.

If I were planning to enter the business I would have no idea the exact expenses I would incur. However, I could assume my expenses would be similar to what your are or similar to what my fathers are.
And therein lies the million dollar question: Does he know what his costs are? If so, you should know as well, since you are booking loads for him. If not, then he needs to figure out what they are for his specific operation.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
I assume because I do not handle his books. I know his major costs truck payment and insurance and some of the small costs, but do not know how much for example his last oil change cost or the exact amount he spent to change out a tire he blew last week.

If I were planning to enter the business I would have no idea the exact expenses I would incur. However, I could assume my expenses would be similar to what your are or similar to what my fathers are.
And therein lies the million dollar question: Does he know what his costs are? If so, you should know as well, since you are booking loads for him. If not, then he needs to figure out what they are for his specific operation.

He knows what comes out of his check book. He doesn't have a spreadsheet ann plug in all of his expenses when he incurs them and checks daily what he must haul for to make money. Do I subscribe to that method? Not really. I like to know what comes in and goes out. To me it really doesn't matter though as long as one is making a decent wage.

He says he wants $2/mi yet he nearly always takes less. When I have time to look for loads I don't look for loads that pay $2/mi. I look for loads which are close so he doesn't have to deadhead, loads that go into an area where I can get him a load out, if it is close to a weekend make sure the load passes through Nashville. All the while taking into account weight, tarping and running in the mountains. Taking all that into account I have never booked him a load paying less than $1.40/mi and most have been in the $1.80-$2.00 range.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He knows what comes out of his check book. He doesn't have a spreadsheet ann plug in all of his expenses when he incurs them and checks daily what he must haul for to make money. Do I subscribe to that method? Not really. I like to know what comes in and goes out. To me it really doesn't matter though as long as one is making a decent wage.

He says he wants $2/mi yet he nearly always takes less. When I have time to look for loads I don't look for loads that pay $2/mi. I look for loads which are close so he doesn't have to deadhead, loads that go into an area where I can get him a load out, if it is close to a weekend make sure the load passes through Nashville. All the while taking into account weight, tarping and running in the mountains. Taking all that into account I have never booked him a load paying less than $1.40/mi and most have been in the $1.80-$2.00 range.
Trucker math at its finest....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
But one doesn't know if one is making a decent wage when one has no idea where the money is going. It sounds as if he subscribes to the Hobby Trucker Method - just do the job and whatever is left over is left over.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
But one doesn't know if one is making a decent wage when one has no idea where the money is going. It sounds as if he subscribes to the Hobby Trucker Method - just do the job and whatever is left over is left over.
Hobby trucker it is then.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hobby trucker it is then.
Then Steve's the man to give you advice, and I'll leave it up to him from now on. :wink:
Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Maybe charged should post his queries at other boards, such as TUSA, trucknet, kevin rutherfords board and get other opinions from other O/O's......
Let's see.....

TSUSA: They'll have tons of advice and will be very encouraging. Then they will all eventually reveal that they are no longer O/O's, after having to sell off their trucks due to the cost.

Trucknet: The post will be ignored completely, and will soon be drowned out by political threads.

Kevin's board: One person will post something constructive, and the next 300 posts will all attack that one person who posted something constructive.

I'm throwing Truckers Report in there as well, even though that one is finished already.

Truckers Report: The thread will go along nicely, with lots of debate, and then a modulator will suddenly ban you because they "think" you are a troll.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Maybe charged should post his queries at other boards, such as TUSA, trucknet, kevin rutherfords board and get other opinions from other O/O's......
Let's see.....

TSUSA: They'll have tons of advice and will be very encouraging. Then they will all eventually reveal that they are no longer O/O's, after having to sell off their trucks due to the cost.

Trucknet: The post will be ignored completely, and will soon be drowned out by political threads.

Kevin's board: One person will post something constructive, and the next 300 posts will all attack that one person who posted something constructive.

I'm throwing Truckers Report in there as well, even though that one is finished already.

Truckers Report: The thread will go along nicely, with lots of debate, and then a modulator will suddenly ban you because they "think" you are a troll.
Looks like I picked the best board to hang out on. I signed up at truckers report while I waited for activation here and it only took me a day to get banned because I called another member "slow".