Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged

Okay, so let's assume his break even is $1.30.
Why would we "assume" anything?

Quote:
The fact is he is making money if he averages $1.31/mi
Of course he would. At $1.31 per mile, I, plus every other taxpayer, would end up paying him because he would be a welfare recipient.

$0.01 per mile X 108,000 miles per year = $1080 per year for wages, $0.00 per year profit.

Still sounds like you are trying to justify hauling cheap.
I assume because I do not handle his books. I know his major costs truck payment and insurance and some of the small costs, but do not know how much for example his last oil change cost or the exact amount he spent to change out a tire he blew last week.

If I were planning to enter the business I would have no idea the exact expenses I would incur. However, I could assume my expenses would be similar to what your are or similar to what my fathers are.

I'm really not even sure what the definition of cheap freight is, but if cheap freight is less than the break even my father won't haul it unless it gets him to better freight. I absolutely know he will not deadhead over 100 miles unless the freight needs to be picked up now or the freight pays to cover the deadhead.

Dad's probably not going to be collecting welfare anytime soon. He has rental property in three States. He just bought some property in WA where he'll be building a home to retire.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You Dad should be getting at least $2/mile in the areas where you stated that he is running. I have been getting a lot of calls in those areas the last couple of weeks, in the $2/mile range, without any negotiating.
He got $2.30 last week going from Nashville to FL.

He doesn't post his truck on the boards he just calls or has me call or has mom call.

He'll be between Decatur and Springfield IL on Tuesday so he'll be looking for some $2/mi freight. He doesn't like to tarp, can't haul steel coils, and prefers not to run hills. He also doesn't like short haul stuff. For example I know he will want to go from there to near the max of his radius because he doesn't like to wait for shippers to load.
I report on what he gets and what he gets it for.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not go to Florida for $2.30/mile. I am curious, though. You say that your Dad doesn't tarp, doesn't want to drive in hills, can't haul coils and doesn't want to haul short runs? Why is he pulling a flat bed? With so many restrictions, I am surprised that he is even in this business. I would say that at least 50% of the flat bed loads require a tarp.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I would not go to Florida for $2.30/mile. I am curious, though. You say that your Dad doesn't tarp, doesn't want to drive in hills, can't haul coils and doesn't want to haul short runs? Why is he pulling a flat bed? With so many restrictions, I am surprised that he is even in this business. I would say that at least 50% of the flat bed loads require a tarp.
He can tarp, but he'll take a load that pays less so he doesn't have to tarp. He'll take loads going to the mountains, but only if it pays more than a load staying on the flat land. He'll take short runs to get home or to get to better freight.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Board Regular

charged,

Why no coils, insurance restriction?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
charged,

Progressive doesn't let him haul steel coils because he is brand new. I'm not sure when the 500 mile restriction and the coil restiction will be lifted. I'm guessing after a year or two.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Well I call BS on what some of you are saying...

Tarped loads generally pay more anyway and trying to get MORE for a tarped load is almost impossible. There are people who say they get more to tarp but that is BS most of the time.

Also the going to FL deal....BS on over 2 bucks a mile. Some of you may be getting it NOW but a year ago you were not....I would NOT go to FL for less, but some on here have went for MUCH less than that. Even though the fuel is higher now than a year ago does not make a difference with FL. That should have still been at least 2 bucks a mile.

Some of you need to practice what you preach.... :roll:

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
charged,

Progressive doesn't let him haul steel coils because he is brand new. I'm not sure when the 500 mile restriction and the coil restiction will be lifted. I'm guessing after a year or two.

I didn't think about Progressive restricting him to haul coils. That makes sense. From what others have posted I would think that they would eliminate that restriction after a year. Coils can be tricky. They need extra care when securing them. I would try to have someone show me how to properly chain them down before getting involved with them. To tell you the truth, coils haven't been paying that much for a while. They have done well in some areas, but are still nothing to brag about. Now is a time to start making contacts and establishing relationships. Your Dad is in a good position to get some regular runs and work with the same people. He might even get a dedicated run. A few years ago I had a driver on a regular run coming out of Chicago going to Birmingham and back again. It paid very well. The problem was with the driver. He lived in south Georgia and it was too much of a hassle to get him home along with the extra expense. If I had someone living close to the travel lane, it would have been perfect.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
charged,

I didn't think about Progressive restricting him to haul coils. That makes sense. From what others have posted I would think that they would eliminate that restriction after a year. Coils can be tricky. They need extra care when securing them. I would try to have someone show me how to properly chain them down before getting involved with them. To tell you the truth, coils haven't been paying that much for a while. They have done well in some areas, but are still nothing to brag about. Now is a time to start making contacts and establishing relationships. Your Dad is in a good position to get some regular runs and work with the same people. He might even get a dedicated run. A few years ago I had a driver on a regular run coming out of Chicago going to Birmingham and back again. It paid very well. The problem was with the driver. He lived in south Georgia and it was too much of a hassle to get him home along with the extra expense. If I had someone living close to the travel lane, it would have been perfect.
My dad is a nice guy. He isn't as abrasive as I. He keeps notes of brokers who paid well and calls them for loads when looking. When he was thinking about becoming a driver he went out with a friend of a friend for a week. That man hauled coils. So, I'm pretty sure he knows how dangerous they are and how to secure. He's talked about getting some coil tarps when he is finally able to haul coils.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Those coil tarps are great if you haul a lot of them. He could also buy a side kit. If you haul a lot of steel you can't beat a side kit. When I regularly pulled it, I rarely pulled the kit down. I have had a couple of drivers who preferred to keep it down and tarp. There are some good paying loads which require side kits. It can save a lot of tarp time.