LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Quote:
I here to many O/O's saying they need miles and work cheap just to get miles.
You just said more that a mouth-full right there. :wink:
ohhhhh yeah he did.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Here's how I can get more sometimes. Y'know when they try to hide the fact that it needs a tarp.....like how they sneak it in on the rate confirmation after they've already called the customer to "authorize" that extra high rate that they supposedly couldn't pay? That's when I call them back and tell them they never mentioned a tarp and I need an extra $150. By this time they are too embarrassed to call the shipper AGAIN, so they usually cave.
YA NO SHEET!!!!!!!!! Happens all the time. That and the delivery date AND when it's an LTL load the customer says it needs to be there yesterday. Then I tell them it's an LTL load and could take up to 10 days. Then they freak and come to find out, the customer ordered a dedicated truck and I tel them the broker listed it as LTL and is going to keep the rest of the money.

Then the crap fly's and I just sit and wait for double the rate. Happened a few times already.

Or, the 15' LTL turns into 30' because the broker tried to make you believe it could be stacked.

I've learned to get the conformation and sign it when I get to the customer site after I figured the real delivery date, size and weight. Then I have one pissed off customer.

Happened not too long ago when I had a small LTL in Arizona. I loaded then went to the truck stop near by and spent the night and waited the next day for another load. The customer called wanting to know when it would be delivered. I said I was still down the road. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He starts yelling at me and I had to tell him to "Shut the F*** up and listen to me". My exact words. I tell him the broker listed it as an LTL and is keeping all the money for a full load.

Sometimes it's fun when you know something is up and you have the upper hand like changing the delivery date to 7 to 10 days from pickup date on the rate conformation after picking up the load then faxing back the agreement. Also, don't forget to change the pickup date. They are sometimes 5 days in the past too!!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
As far as hauling cheap, $1.80 is what freight is moving for on the load boards.
Jeez, is that all you guys are getting for a flat on GL & ITS? What length of haul is that?

BTW, is DH included in your Dad's $1.29? And what is his DH?

Whhhhhaaaatttttt ???? You mean that DH miles need to accounted for also ??? :shock:

:lol: :lol:
Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
Quote:
Here's how I can get more sometimes. Y'know when they try to hide the fact that it needs a tarp.....like how they sneak it in on the rate confirmation after they've already called the customer to "authorize" that extra high rate that they supposedly couldn't pay? That's when I call them back and tell them they never mentioned a tarp and I need an extra $150. By this time they are too embarrassed to call the shipper AGAIN, so they usually cave.
YA NO SHEET!!!!!!!!! Happens all the time. That and the delivery date AND when it's an LTL load the customer says it needs to be there yesterday. Then I tell them it's an LTL load and could take up to 10 days. Then they freak and come to find out, the customer ordered a dedicated truck and I tel them the broker listed it as LTL and is going to keep the rest of the money.

Then the crap fly's and I just sit and wait for double the rate. Happened a few times already.

Or, the 15' LTL turns into 30' because the broker tried to make you believe it could be stacked.

I've learned to get the conformation and sign it when I get to the customer site after I figured the real delivery date, size and weight. Then I have one pissed off customer.

Happened not too long ago when I had a small LTL in Arizona. I loaded then went to the truck stop near by and spent the night and waited the next day for another load. The customer called wanting to know when it would be delivered. I said I was still down the road. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He starts yelling at me and I had to tell him to "Shut the F*** up and listen to me". My exact words. I tell him the broker listed it as an LTL and is keeping all the money for a full load.

Sometimes it's fun when you know something is up and you have the upper hand like changing the delivery date to 7 to 10 days from pickup date on the rate conformation after picking up the load then faxing back the agreement. Also, don't forget to change the pickup date. They are sometimes 5 days in the past too!!
I've tried a few times to get the broker to allow me two weeks to deliver a partial but they don't want to give me that long so I don't do as many as I'd like. We have a pretty big storage facility here so we could warehouse lots of stuff, but if they want TL for an LTL rate.....sorry, no can do.

I should give it another try now that brokers are killing each other for Canadian bound trucks.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member

BTW Steve, got your fax. Thanks.

Those destinations are too far east for me. I'm not familiar with the maritimes and I'd be out of my element looking to reload from there. Not a heckuva lot of manufacturing out there....and I don't like raw materials. I'd have to do some serious research into the Port of Halifax before I quoted a rate into that dead zone.

For now, I'll have to be content with my little $2,000/550 mile day trips.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Board Icon

Quote:

How do you survive?

:lol:
Old 09-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

How do you survive?

:lol:
Oh but those infuriating 3 minutes I spend clearing customs makes me want to charge $4,000.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
Well I call BS on what some of you are saying...

Tarped loads generally pay more anyway
I disagree...kind of. Often loads that need to be tarped are commodities and commodities are almost always cheap freight. Lumber and coils are prime examples. Cheap cheap cheap. Now take machinery....rarely needs a tarp and pays much better. But when it does need a tarp, I can usually get $100 - $150 extra if they forget to mention it until after we've already established the rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
....and trying to get MORE for a tarped load is almost impossible. There are people who say they get more to tarp but that is BS most of the time.

When I have hunted loads on my own the brokers always said it was a tarped load. BUT when the truck owner was looking for loads I have no way of knowing if he/she got extra money for tarping......and since we were using OUR tarps that could have been a good sum of money we were cheated out of....hmmm

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged
As far as hauling cheap, $1.80 is what freight is moving for on the load boards.
Jeez, is that all you guys are getting for a flat on GL & ITS? What length of haul is that?

BTW, is DH included in your Dad's $1.29? And what is his DH?

I haven't seen much that payed well lately. Lots of stuff for $1.60/mi.

It took awhile. I got him a 190 mi run this morning it payed $400. 50 deadhead miles. It took him to a load that he just finished loading out that pays $2070 for 1022 miles 30 deadhead miles. Total $1.91/mi.

I always try to figure the deadhead into the miles. DH varies.

For example he is empty and must drive 50 miles to pick up his next load that takes him 400 miles for $2/mi. That means he is only making $1.78/mi. I don't think there is anyway to calculate it into the break even numbers unless your deadhead miles were fixed.

An easy way to do it is look at the dead head miles. Whatever the percentage of deadhead miles are compared to paid miles you subtract from your pay.
50 miles is 12.5% of 400 miles. $2/mi(rate)-12.5% = $1.78
Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Board Icon

Again, with the "break even" numbers.........Where is the Advil?