User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

thx doghouse. That is what I'm looking for...actual testing. Although, I would still think that it would burn more fuel under load.

The set-up that I'm considering is find a scrapped-out rigmaster or other apu and strip it of pretty much everything except the motor and generator, overhaul the motor and/or gen, then just hook it up to a rooftop unit. Either that or go with a generator like the rev is using. I'll be interested to see how durable these cheaper generators are. I've heard good and bad.

Arky
Old 07-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Board Icon

The manufacturer of my genny claims 0.33 gph, although they don't say at what % load that is. I would assume that it is at 50% load.

I think as long as I can keep the temps at a reasonable level, the generator should work nicely for the application I am using it for.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Arky
It's a 4,000 watt genhead, so even with a full load from the AC unit (AC uses 1,540 watts) it's still less than half load. The engine bogs down for a few seconds when the AC kicks on, but then it comes back up the 2,400 rpm. My big complaint is that the engine could be even more efficient if the thing would idle down while it's not under a load. But I did test it under the AC load and under no load,..the fuel comsumption was maybe an once or two, so not even worth mentioning.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Board Regular

I read a post once a few years back on another forum where someone noticed that this driver had an elcheapo wally world generator or something like that. They asked the guy what he was gonna do when it failed. The guy walked to the other side of the truck, opened a box on that side, pointed in it and says "I'll just start this one up" :shock:
Old 07-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Board Regular

thx Doghouse. That's good info. I'm not trying to be cynical and hope I don't come off that way. I'm just real curious and if I do set one of these up some day, I wanna be sure of what results I can hope for.

From what I've seen, the 4,000 watt is about as small as you can get in a diesel generator. I would like to get it as small as possible and still be able to run the a/c. That's all I need it for. I'm assuming that the smaller the engine, the less fuel it would use. In any case, good info...thanks again.

Arky
Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Board Regular

My gen set, very reliable, very quite and excellent service.

http://www.powertech-gen.com/product...products_id=30
Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
thx doghouse. That is what I'm looking for...actual testing. Although, I would still think that it would burn more fuel under load.

The set-up that I'm considering is find a scrapped-out rigmaster or other apu and strip it of pretty much everything except the motor and generator, overhaul the motor and/or gen, then just hook it up to a rooftop unit. Either that or go with a generator like the rev is using. I'll be interested to see how durable these cheaper generators are. I've heard good and bad.

Arky
The thermo king dealer I got my unit installed at actually has a Rigmaster APU with all the hoses and wires sitting on a pallet. They said an owner/op came in and got a Tripac and never came back for it. I asked what they were gonna do with it, and the guy just shrugged his shoulders.

The ThermoKing dealer is in Rock Falls, IL, and you can get the # from the TK website.

HTH
Old 07-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Board Regular

Heavy Duty, I like that APU. It's small and fuel efficient according to their claims.

You think they would sell me just the motor and the side mount box? LOL
I would still prefer the roof a/c.

BanditsCousin, I'll check into that. They probably can't do anything with it without that guys permission, but it never hurts to ask. I'm thinking I probably have the resources to get the engine rebuilt if needed. Thx!

Arky
Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Not at all Arky, we should all put out accurate info. it helps weed out the BS from the manufacturers.
If this unit fails again, I will be getting a 2 cyl Kubota with a 2800watt genhead. This unit also claims 1/10 gal of fuel per hour, and it's sold in Jax. Fl. ($3,200)
The roof air is def. the way to go,..if your roof is flat enough. I actually saw a condo with the roof AC mounted where the sunroof window is. My unit said to keep within a few degrees off level, so I don't know is that drivers unit will last. Kinda like tipping your fridge at a steep angle an running it.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty
not Steve, you can get a roof mount AC with the vents and controls on the ceiling panel and then buy a wall thermostat that plugs in to the unit so you can adjust the thermostats and fan from the comfort of your bed.You can also put a heat strip in for heat if you use the wall thermostat.
That's a nice freaking truck in your aviatar for sure!!!!!!!!

I may not need a thermostat. I plan to plug the unit into my Rigmaster then set the automatic control on it's thermostat so when the temp is correct the unit shuts off and so will the overhead unit also.