User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Something else to think about is a automatic transfer switch(RV supply), you can start the generator without turning everything off, the gen runs for about 30 sec and then the power turns on.The transfer switch will also provide for shore power. Didn't notice if you made provisions for a battery charger,also I use a small 1500 watt ceramic heater to heat the sleeper and a second one to keep the cab warm and windows clear.

not Steve, you can get a roof mount AC with the vents and controls on the ceiling panel and then buy a wall thermostat that plugs in to the unit so you can adjust the thermostats and fan from the comfort of your bed.You can also put a heat strip in for heat if you use the wall thermostat.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Board Icon

On my way home this evening, I stopped at the local auto parts store and picked up some exhaust heat shield tape. I taped up the first 2 feet of exhaust (about 4 inches past where it exits the box). Hopefully that helps keep the temps lower inside the box.

One thing I've been thinking about all day is - I have an infrared thermometer to tell me what the temp is inside the box, but what is the ideal temp for the inside of the box? How hot is too hot? Since the unit wasn't originally inside of an enclosure, the manual states nothing on the subject.

Any thoughts? :?
Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Most engine oils break down at around 250 degrees. With that one being Air Cooled you want to keep the temps as low as Possible. Also you will need to watch out for Vapor locking also Yes it is a Diesel however it does Evaparate like any other liquid does and if you get an air pocket in your lines they are a PITA to get out.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006
Most engine oils break down at around 250 degrees. With that one being Air Cooled you want to keep the temps as low as Possible.
That doesn't really answer my question. If the temps inside the box got as high as 250 degrees, I'd have more problems on my hands than engine oil breaking down.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Sorry Rev misread your question. If I was running this setup I would try and keep temps less than 160 or so. My bad on that one. I cheated I measured the temp on a aircooled Diesel engine here and it was right around 140 with full airflow. You should be ok in that area.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Board Regular

Steve, if you look at the top of your sleeper, does it have rivets in it? If so, you should be able to see pretty quickly where your roof supports are. As already mentioned, I would get the unit as close to one of these supports as possbile. You might even want to add a new support on the opposite side if there isn't one within a couple of inches of the unit on that side.

If your sleeper is put together with rivets and your looking for a support, look for the one that has two rows of rivets probably 2-1/2" to 3" apart. That will be your stronger support. It's made as sort of a channel with flanges where the rivets go through. In other words, both rows of rivets are fastening to the same support.

In the end, just make sure that the weight of the unit isn't going to flex the roof enough to cause a leak later on. There's a good chance you'll end up pulling the headliner, all the supports will be obvious at that point. I would probably hold off having the aluminum plate built until you see what your working with. You might be better served with just adding another piece of factory support. I can probably help you out with finding that if you decide that's what you want to do.

I like the roof mount a/c units and would like to install one myself some day.

Arky
Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Board Regular

I'm also wonderinf if anyone has actually measured the fuel usage of their generator..or APU under load. I have talked to several people, even some who claim to run the APU off a seperate fuel tank, but for the life of me, I can't get a straight answer on how much fuel their generator is burning under load. Personally, I don't believe the claims of the APU salesmen.

Example: http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/produc...e?gensetId=133

If you read through the specs of this Onan 6kw RV generator ( a very popular brand), it plainly states that under half load it burns .4/gal per hour and at full load it burns .7/gal per hour. I can't see spending the money for no more savings than that.

I also can't believe that anyone else is building a generator that provides comparable wattage without burning at least somewhere near the same amount of fuel?

Any comments?

Arky
Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006
Sorry Rev misread your question. If I was running this setup I would try and keep temps less than 160 or so. My bad on that one. I cheated I measured the temp on a aircooled Diesel engine here and it was right around 140 with full airflow. You should be ok in that area.
I agree with ironeagle, that temp range is what you want. Over about 175 you could damage the windings in the gen head.

Rev, when I was messing with gen enclosures I would point my thermometer at the gen head in the same spot every time to consistently track results. Also even parking with the gen in the shade will help when possible, even the shadow of the tractor or trailer, anything to keep direct sun off of it.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Vassago
And make sure you have plenty of home wiring connectors.

(I can't believe nobody has said anything about that to me yet....)

Rev-----> :lol: :lol:
Don't forget to tape everything real good, a nice big wad of tape at every connection should do the trick. Totally impenetrable! :lol:

Good luck with your set up Rev.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

When I first tested my single cyl. diesel genset, I used the test system (1 gal. fuel tank, and a small radiator) for my motorcycles. The unit used 1 gallon of fuel for 9.5 hrs of run time. It is a single speed engine (2400 rpm.) no matter what the load is.

Right now I am replacing the gen head capacitor and changing the water pump to 12 volt.
This unit has potential, but was designed poorly by the place who went out of business (A-Trans).
I have changed everything on this unit, if I get it to work reliably,..I will be amazed.

BTW most new rooftop A/C units come with a wireless thermostat/remote control, and a heat pump function. The heat pump only works down to like 35 degrees, then its time for the ceramic heater.