User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

And, once again, Rev taking a right turn when confronted. Oh my God, how can I evade this. Wait, I'll change the subject, ya, that's it. Maybe I'll cook some chili and post how it came out better, ya, that will work.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
And, once again, Rev taking a right turn when confronted.
I did nothing of the sort. I've filled out IFTA forms before. It's not that big of a deal. I also calculate out where to fuel based upon the tax. Again, not that big of a deal. :roll:

I am still waiting, however, for you to explain why what state you fuel in matters less to someone with their own authority than someone operating under someone else's authority.

Of all the ridiculous things you've stated over the past 2 years, that one is near the top of the list.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

I am still waiting, however, for you to explain why what state you fuel in matters less to someone with their own authority than someone operating under someone else's authority.
That got my curiosity too....? :roll:
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I've told people a hundred times in here I don't have any bills, no truck payment, no trailer payment, paid cash, had cash and nobody to support. I have not mislead anyone. I've stated that over and over again.
He has. I think he even had it in his sig line at one point.

IMO that is a large reason he is able to make a go of it....he has no need to come back into his home base every week every Friday and take a revenue hit every Monday with a crappy paying outbound load.

Other reason is all his equipment is paid for up front.
Another reason is he's pulling a flat.
Another reason is he's fairly determined.

If he had a wife and 2 kids, a house to fix and a lawn to mow, and he was pulling a van out of NH every Monday, it may not be so pretty.

But we all know that. It's been well documented.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Taking a poll:

If there were 2 identical trucks and one had 500,000 miles and the other had 400,000 miles, how much less would you expect to pay for the 500,000 miler? $10,000? $15,000?

Steve,

About the revenue vs profit margin question....I think in your example, you guessed you'd make more by doing 3,000 miles at $2, than 2,000 miles at $3 right? I'd like to take a closer look at that.

So after 50 weeks you've done;
a) 100,000 miles and grossed 300,000, or
b) 150,000 miles and grossed 300,000

OK that's just silly. Let's try this instead LOL. Assuming we both burn $.80/mile in fuel.

Me doing LTL from bumf$%^ nowhere into OH and TL back to Toronto:
1400 miles x 2.75/mile for all miles = $3850 - $1120 fuel = $2730

You running TL on the open road:
3000 miles x 1.85/mile for all miles = $5550 - $3150.

You're $420 ahead of me in revenue after fuel.....with 1600 more miles on your truck.

What do you figure maintenance costs....$.025/mile? That's $40.
I'd be home on the weekend so that's $40 less in food.

Assuming you agree to the above two estimates, you're now $340 ahead of me.

So now we're down to depreciation and this is where we get back to those two identical trucks.
Yup, I agree with your figures and the scenario you put together. In fact, I agree 100% totally except for the $40 less in food when I'm home. I tend to eat Delmonico steaks for $20 a piece non stop.

What it comes down to for me is I really enjoy being on the road for 4 to 5 weeks at a time. I enjoy just driving for days and days without unloading and loading.

I guess I could do pretty much the same thing as you in a way from Mass to Chicago and back again for close to the same as your figures. I wouldn't like it.

I will keep fixing my truck and trailer and keep what I have. You can never go wrong with repairing what you have as opposed to buying new. I've seen this first hand over and over again in many companies who I've had close personal experience with right down to my last multi million dollar company who opted to replace the engine on the lawn mower instead of buying a new one.

My costs to run the truck are $1.01 per mile so $.84 cents per mile is not a bad thing. You can divide that $.84 into driver pay/profit any way you like.

I don't think I'm that far off from others. I probably gross more then most doing it this way. You could bring up the maintenance thing but I'm guessing that's a wash also given the environment of big city stop and go every day as opposed to non stop easy driving.

My engine stays at 1450 for days at a time in 10th gear. Need I say more about wear and tear from that point of view? Your shocks go up and down 20 times a second. I crap my pants because I've just been floating down the road for 6 hours and just went over a crack in the road on I80.

Your in a groove Rank and I see a groove for me also if I want it but I don't.

Maybe this is something most have never gone into detail before. I think it comes down to home time which I do not miss. You have a wife and family and I do not. I think everyone knows how much I love being out West and in the middle of nowhere. Blizzards, snow and wind, I freaking love it.

There are plenty of people on the road with multi million mile trucks and over 20 years old. I think mine will do fine for the next 10 years.
OK so if you paid $45K and it lasts 12 years it may be worth $10K? That's $35K over 12 years and 1,800,000 miles. Your cost per mile just went up $.02 to $1.03.

Actually, it looks like even with $.15/mile depreciation, you would come out a little ahead of me. I also forgot to include that it costs me $10-$20 every time I cross the border.

I agree about the home time thing. Coming home costs money. Alot of it. Unless you live OH.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
OK so if you paid $45K and it lasts 12 years it may be worth $10K? That's $35K over 12 years and 1,800,000 miles. Your cost per mile just went up $.02 to $1.03.
I'm trying to figure out how you came up with this figure. Can you explain?

Quote:
I agree about the home time thing. Coming home costs money. Alot of it. Unless you live OH.
I'm moving to OH. I've been sitting here all weekend in the truck, and would much rather be sitting here in my apartment. :wink:

someone please buy my house.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If he had a wife and 2 kids, a house to fix and a lawn to mow, and he was pulling a van out of NH every Monday, it may not be so pretty.
Yup! Could not do it. The pressure alone would kill me.

I guess it doesn't matter where you live, you will take a beating in some form either getting back home or getting out. I live in NH and it's hard to get to Detroit but once in Detroit, it's easy to get to NH so I don't think there is a magic bullet.

I just plugged in the numbers for a new truck, trailer and higher insurance. The new truck and trailer would require a hefty loan. Maybe that's the difference. That would take a HUGE chunk of change out of my left over cash. I may be fine for 3 years or whatever the warranty is for major problems but I would have to RUN and KEEP running.

Let me say this again to everyone. I do not have a wife (anymore), kids are grown, no mortgage although hefty taxes, no bills, no car payment, health insurance is $338 per month for BCBS PPO.

Here are my personal bills

Property taxes
phone
electric/heat
cable
food
gas
car ins
health ins

Can a single person with bills like mine make it right out of the gate. HELL YES and live well. Could Rank do it? HELL NO!!!!!!!

HUGE difference.

I figure I'm close to maybe the lower middle of the class in what I do and what I make and doing pretty good. I also think I have plenty of room to improve but right now I have the luxury of taking my time and no pressure to move up the ladder quicker.

I have a plan and will be trying it out this time out. It has one weak link in the chain but will give it a shot. If it works it will give me 5 days at home every month and 3 days down time while on the road. It also increases my left over cash per week by over $500.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
And, once again, Rev taking a right turn when confronted.
I did nothing of the sort. I've filled out IFTA forms before. It's not that big of a deal. I also calculate out where to fuel based upon the tax. Again, not that big of a deal. :roll:

Of all the ridiculous things you've stated over the past 2 years, that one is near the top of the list.
I'm still waiting for you to prove I'm wrong by doing the example I said above. I'm not looking for a debate. It's simple, do the IFTA worksheet for a few different scenarios.

You use the same tactics on everyone when cornered by either answering a question with a question and avoiding the answer or resorting to name calling. Once again you are avoiding the absolute resolution to the problem now that you've been given the challenge.

So I'll wait, but I'm sure it will be forever as I'm use to your tactics.

So people this is the way it will go. He will not do the worksheet, give some lame post with his own demands then run away.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Chili pics (they didn't turn out very good, the pics that is, I'm not much of a photog)

I had to get a shot of the Bud can.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon