Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Not sure why the shorted but I separated all the wires and taped them back up better.
It's laughable that you simply recreated the same problem that caused the short in the first place. Why not install the lights the right way, instead of throwing tape on them? :roll:

Quote:
Off to my junk box for a better bolt.
That's a fitting name for the box of parts holding your truck together. :lol:

Quote:
I was ready to leap over the counter and yell into the phone to just go out and buy some more freaking batteries so this poor guy can eat his cold lunch
Uh huh. I bet you called the US Marshalls too. :roll:

Awaiting the same tired response from you, Steve.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Not sure why the shorted but I separated all the wires and taped them back up better.
It's laughable that you simply recreated the same problem that caused the short in the first place. Why not install the lights the right way, instead of throwing tape on them? :roll:

Quote:
Off to my junk box for a better bolt.
That's a fitting name for the box of parts holding your truck together. :lol:

Quote:
I was ready to leap over the counter and yell into the phone to just go out and buy some more freaking batteries so this poor guy can eat his cold lunch
Uh huh. I bet you called the US Marshalls too. :roll:

Awaiting the same tired response from you, Steve.

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to slither in... :roll:

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to slither in... :roll:
:roll:

Why not offer something constructive, like I did?

The cheerleading squad is getting awfully pathetic.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Made it to the customer site early this morning around 5am. My GPS led me down a road it thought was correct but it wasn't. It was still a road that had big companies and trucks going in and out but not the road my delivery was on. I could see Stanley Tools on the other side of a residential street then all of a sudden my GPS recalculated and knew where it was but wanted to lead me through the residential area. There wasn't any signs that said no trucks so I took a left, went 100 yards then took another left and there was the building! I asked later and that is one of the two approved routes to get in. When I left I took the other one which was pretty much right onto a 55mph road. I would have thought the residents would have that entry blocked off??

I pulled into the back of the building and they had 3 forklifts that all looked 50 years old. They were huge but couldn't even come close to lifting any of the crane beams off my truck. They had already scheduled a crane to drive in and unload me.

This guy comes over to me and we get to talking and he tells me he use to live in Leominster Mass when he was in the Army at Fort Devens. I was like, holy sheet, I grew up in Leominster and both my parents worked at Fort Devens. Come to find out he and my father were both in 10th Special Forces Mountain Division but he didn't know my father. I think he was at least 15 years younger but it was still cool to name all the places of interest. He was the General Manager there at Stanley. He must have been in his late 60's but still just about crushed my hand when he shook it.
I still can't imagine my father on skies.

There was about 20 people out there helping to unload today. Not sure why. Maybe because the big boss was there but they were all jumping at ANYTHING to do.

I got unloaded no problem and headed to the T/A in Florence. I hadn't eaten in 24 hours so I got a ton of chicken, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, and rolls from Popeyes. I get it to go and come back to my truck to eat it. I'm like a madman wolfing down the food. All of a sudden I hear a crash near me, engines shut off and some guy yelling. I was SOOOOO hungry I didn't even get up to look and waited until I was all done eating 10 minutes later. By that time a local cop was there and it looked like he backed into the other guy. Lots of damage when a truck backs into the front of another truck for sure!

My voice is just about gone again today. I lost it completely yesterday talking to a friend on the phone and with all the talking I did today with the customer it's going south. One of the drawbacks of being on the road for days and not talking enough i guess.

Not sure where I'm going from here but it's early in the week. I can't stop drinking water ever since they took me off the BP meds!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Steve you need to get a soldering iron, and some shrink tubing, and a heat gun. If you don't want to solder get an electrical fitting for connecting two wires and then shrink the tubing over that. Much better.

You should then bundle the wires that you can and put them in a wire loom, and secure the wire loom to your frame. If it's possible or necessary, drill the back of the light out so you can run the wire loom into it and seal it with a rubber grommet or some caulk. Nice and neat.

Sloppy work is a little pet peeve of mine.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 PM

I ended up cutting each of the 3 wires at different lengths then I crimped on some connectors and crimped them shut then taped them up good. I didn't do a good job before and pretty much just bunched them together so I'm assuming the got warm, melted the tape enough for them to touch.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Board Icon

Electrical tape, especially on an area such as that, is inviting problems. It doesn't keep moisture out like shrink tubing does.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Electrical tape, especially on an area such as that, is inviting problems. It doesn't keep moisture out like shrink tubing does.
That's why I crimped on electrical ends as I said above.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you talking about one of these?
You still need to put some heat shrink tubing over it. You'll be fixing it again if you don't. I'll tell you what I tell some homeowners "Put the tape down and back away slowly" :lol:
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
That's why I crimped on electrical ends as I said above.
Quote:
I ended up cutting each of the 3 wires at different lengths then I crimped on some connectors and crimped them shut then taped them up good.
Crimping on connectors, then wrapping them improperly for an external application is futile. They should be put in shrink tubing, plain and simple. Is it that hard to understand?

EDIT: Rosty, your link doesn't work, but no matter. Steve and his electrical tape know better. :lol:
Closed Thread