User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

True, but here in KY there are some trees as slick as a light pole.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
True, but here in KY there are some trees as slick as a light pole.
:lol: :lol:
Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

I think WonderWoman would be fitting, as she will compliment SuperMan, who is always riding along side trying to get some from WonderWoman as he flys down the road chasing the truck.
Correct color also.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Steve O,.....I was going to say Paris (but then your truck would sound like a skanky ho-bag),..of course,..but Hobbyhorse sounds better, and it has a neat ring to it. I've been calling mine Biggirl (after my dog who passed 2 years ago :cry: ), and it also seems to fit this big old lumbering beast.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I kind of like "Skanky Ho-Bag" for a name also. That has a nice ring too!

Well, lets see, where did I leave off since my encounter with Batman. I had my doctors appointment and was taken off blood pressure medicine and now dealing with the side effects of withdrawal making me feel sick. Should be over in a few days from what I was told.

Not much going on for load out of New Hampshire so I figured I would be here for the weekend. Then around 11 Friday the phone rang and it was the crane shipper in a panic because the truck that was suppose to show up at 6am was still not there. Well, just so happens I'm free at the moment so off I go. It really pays to have everything you can possibly have done when your ready to head out done. I was out the door and loading up within the hour.

The load is about 4' off the back of my trailer and the paperwork says 44,000 but my air gauge says about 25,000. They are always wrong at this place and if you get one of the engineers involved they usually come up with the correct number but it didn't phase me since it's way under my max.

The owner came down and gave me a $50 dollar tip for coming so quickly. He's given me tips in the past for this and that and I've learned to just take it and say thank you. He's the type of person who does NOT take NO for an answer and realized a big smile and thank you makes him happy.

There also seems to be a scandal going on maybe. I told the owner I was just sitting at home since yesterday. He said I should have called. I said the logistics person has my number and I've called in the past but he never calls back and the only time you call is when your in a panic. He said thank you again and went off. Now there is some activity going on between him and a few other people. I crab to the guys loading me up how come they never call me. He said, Joe doesn't get any money from you!!!!!! OK OK OK....this is the first time I've encountered this. Does this go on? Should I be giving this guy a kick back?

So I get loaded up then once again do the tarp job from Hell. Walking on top of these loads is like traversing the lava flows in Hawaii. Straps and chains were required on this one.

The load doesn't have to be delivered until Monday morning so I headed home after loading up and will take off this morning sometime after breakfast at my favorite place. I'm heading to Cheraw SC so I should have plenty of options getting a load out of there. I have about 850 miles to go so I'll do an easy day today, maybe 400 tomorrow and the rest early in the morning on Monday. This load will take many hours to unload and usually takes some creative fork lift techniques.

So off I go for a while and hopefully will stay out for at least 3 to 5 weeks. I don't have to be home for anything for the next 3 months so this is a good thing.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Concerning the "pay to play" situation...... I would not do it for a couple of reasons.

You are getting into a situation that will cloud your reputation in the future. Where does it end? Do the guys that load you expect some too?? Will the next guy with a truck out-bid you???

You are far better off staying friendly with the owner and providing superior service...

The shipping dude will probably end up loosing his job when #1 starts to look into the situation...

Honesty lets you sleep better anyway..........
Old 01-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedup
Do the guys that load you expect some too??
No, the guys that load me are awesome. It's 2 guys and the laughs are non stop. It's a cool place with so many different things going on. I love to walk around and watch them make the parts. Everyone is very nice to me there and I don't mind all the time it takes to load me up.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Should I be giving this guy a kick back?
No, absolutely not IMHO. I made a decision long ago I would never pay to make it in this business. Where does it end?

As for naming your truck How about H.M.S. Vessago? :lol:
Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Welcome to the business world Steve! It's almost like discovering there's no Easter Bunny. I agree with not taking part in it. As was said above where will it stop?

I always thought that if my work wasn't good enough on it's own then they can KMA.

I don't see it a lot but I have seen it.

There's other things you can do to promote your business that are on the up and up.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
As for naming your truck How about H.M.S. Vessago?
That would be hysterical :lol: :lol:
Closed Thread