User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Winter fuel weighs 7.206 lbs per gallon. Use 153 gallons.... Problem solved.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
Are you sure Rev...maybe i am reading this wrong...

(n) Any vehicle subject to this subpart that utilizes an auxiliary power or idle reduction technology unit
in order to promote reduction of fuel use and emissions because of engine idling, may be allowed up to an
additional 400 lbs. total in gross, axle, tandem, or bridge formula weight limits.
Can you provide a link to where you're getting this from? I could have sworn that it only applied to tandem weight, and you were required to provide proof of the actual dry weight of the APU to take advantage of it.

I see Steve is still attacking. Pathetic. :roll:
Hey Rev. I ran a search for the exemption on google and found what i posted here
http://truckingsafety.org/new/PART%20658%20rev07.htm

from truckingsafety.org its about halfway down 12 n I found the same thing on a couple of different sites.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
Hey Rev. I ran a search for the exemption on google and found what i posted here
http://truckingsafety.org/new/PART%20658%20rev07.htm

from truckingsafety.org its about halfway down 12 n I found the same thing on a couple of different sites.
Thank you.

I find it interesting that the regulation that this points to, 658.17, is different on the FMCSA website. It doesn't say anything about the APU exemption. From what I can remember, I thought that the FMCSA made it voluntary for states to allow the exemption, and some states were opting out of it.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
The thing Steve isn't taking into account is the fact that even if it is only $25 per 1000 lbs, if they stop him at a scale and find he is overweight, they certainly aren't going to let him continue on his merry little way. He's going to have to figure out how to get rid of that extra weight. :roll:
I have been ticketed for overgross many times in 25 years and was always allowed to continue on my merry little way without losing any weight.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler
Quote:
The thing Steve isn't taking into account is the fact that even if it is only $25 per 1000 lbs, if they stop him at a scale and find he is overweight, they certainly aren't going to let him continue on his merry little way. He's going to have to figure out how to get rid of that extra weight. :roll:
I have been ticketed for overgross many times in 25 years and was always allowed to continue on my merry little way without losing any weight.
Quite interesting. Every time I've been overweight, I've been put OOS until I could get it legal. Same goes for tandem weights.

I guess you must call the US Marshalls in, whereas I made myself legal.

If it really were only $25 per 1000 lbs, it would almost be an incentive to run overweight, because I would imagine that extra weight would pay more than $25. :roll:
Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
NYDOT gives us 4% grace on our gross weight.
Nobody gives a "grace" on a "gross", some do on axles. Not talking about "APU exception here...
Well, I'm not going to argue with you Solo, but we move ~400 outbound loads a year through that state. So we've crossed a scale or two.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedup
Winter fuel weighs 7.206 lbs per gallon. Use 153 gallons.... Problem solved.
Yup, I'm all set now and won't reach another scale for a while and when I do they either won't care about the extra weight or I'll get the green light. I was never over axle weight, just gross. I had them stack the load 5' from the rear and 8' from the front.

What my friend did was check with the other states on the regulations regarding over weight and the ones I'm passing through are all $25 per 1,000 pounds and NO out of service. New Jersey is one that does put you out of service. These states also allow the 400 extra weight on either the axle or gross with an APU installed.

No big deal, at least to me.

My Rismaster kept coming on last night like every 1/2 hour and when I woke up I realized why. My truck is all iced up and it's freaking freezing outside. The truck is about 75 degrees inside and no plans to to get out, that's for sure!

Lets see, it's 2:00am here but actually 1:00am for this time zone then I'll loose another hour getting to Colorado so everyone should still be asleep and I can just sneak right in!!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Abigail/Paris is doing fine. In fact, I'm inline to give her a bath right now. :twisted:

I was just getting ready to write something, you must have read my mind.

I dropped my load of bricks off in MO then headed to a truckstop for the rest of the day and see about another load for Friday. Once again, I was so hungry I could have eaten a horse. The place I dropped the bricks off was a cement factory. I think the bricks were for them to build a new building or something. There was 3 other trucks in front of me getting unloaded and I couldn't get the straps off fast enough before they were done with them and it was my turn. Quit the operation with 5 forklifts running full blast. Nice place out in the country. Old bridges that I had to do 15mph over.

I got a load on Friday and headed out around noon to pick up a load of plywood headed for the outskirts of Denver. This place was real slow loading up and had one other truck before me. I think they were putting together the bundles of plywood one at a time and bringing them out. No big deal, I had plenty of time to get to Denver for Monday.

The guy before me was to be loaded with 37 bundles and mine was 32. He said he only filled his tanks half way so he could carry 48,000. Mine was suppose to be 45,000. 3 hours later he finishes loading he other guy and me and goes home. I tarp in no time since the load is almost 8' tall and a perfect square. I look at my weight gauge and it's over the limit. Everyone is gone now and no scales. I go back to the truck stop, scale and I'm 1,500 pounds over weight.

So now I figure the weight of each bundle then hank out the calculator and the guy before me thought he was getting 48,000 and I figure he has 56,240

Then I do a little more calculation and because I have an APU I'm allowed 400 extra pounds so now I'm only 1,100 pounds over weight. I knew I shouldn't have filled up with fuel before heading over. I usually wait until I get the load first just for this reason.

I get on the phone and call my buddy back in NH who is a DOT supervisor. He asks me my route then calls back later and says the worst that will happen is I get a ticket for $25 dollars for every 1,000 pounds I'm over the limit. So, I head out which beats waiting until Monday to unload some of this.

I made it to Saline KS and got the green light on every scale. I'm going to head out early in the morning and should be close to my drop off point and chances are all the scales will be closed anyways. I should be way under 1,000 by the time I hit Colorado so I think I'm home free or at least only a $25 dollar fine.

Once again, I got a real good rate and seem to be on a roll. I hope to stay out for a while longer but I'll always take a load back home if something comes up and it's good money.

I got a call at 3am this morning from a TQL broker I've done a lot of jobs for. He was desperate to get a truck in Mass to haul something. He said he had a serious situation. Must have been to be calling people that early in the morning!!!

Did about 300 miles today and will do another 300 tomorrow and will do the last 100 on Monday morning and should be at the customer site before 6am but probably won't get unloaded until close to noon or a little earlier. I'll take the rest of the day off because to tell you the truth, these 300 mile days are just plain HELL I tell ya, HELL!!!!!!!!!! lol
Boy I'LL tell ya Steve that plywood must be paying better than it used to ??? Years ago when I did that it was so cheap !!!! But that 1 is going to Denver so maybe that helped it. It allways seemed like freight going to places with no freight paid better ???? I hardly ever got anything worth anything out of that Denver area. Most of the time I would bounce all the way to Kan City or Salt Lake !!! Your truck must tolerate the cold better than mine ?? My old Pete if it would have been off all night and would have been all iced up would have taken awhile to get it ready to truck in that weather ??? I could do your routine in the summer and warm weather but not in the cold I don't think ??? Hope you n everyone back there is doing well and stay off of the slick stuff !!! My ol Pete is in Atlanta now getting the motor done. Hope this economy picks up so I can come home soon ..
Old 01-13-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_ca_la
Boy I'LL tell ya Steve that plywood must be paying better than it used to ??? Years ago when I did that it was so cheap !!!! But that 1 is going to Denver so maybe that helped it. It allways seemed like freight going to places with no freight paid better ???? I hardly ever got anything worth anything out of that Denver area. Most of the time I would bounce all the way to Kan City or Salt Lake !!! Your truck must tolerate the cold better than mine ?? My old Pete if it would have been off all night and would have been all iced up would have taken awhile to get it ready to truck in that weather ??? I could do your routine in the summer and warm weather but not in the cold I don't think ??? Hope you n everyone back there is doing well and stay off of the slick stuff !!! My ol Pete is in Atlanta now getting the motor done. Hope this economy picks up so I can come home soon ..
I think they were desperate to get this load moved. It's finish grade hardwood plywood so it's the expensive stuff. I've always had good luck getting out of the Denver area and it always seemed to be a last minute thing where I had to move quick.

My truck does good in the cold but then again, I have nothing else to compare it too. The Rigmaster heats the engine block so when I start it up it starts in 1 second and runs real good. No strange noises or anything.

When are you coming home? I have these nightmare where someone knocks on my door and I look out the window and there is a bald green guy and some other guy wearing a blue mask standing there. Scary!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quite interesting. Every time I've been overweight, I've been put OOS until I could get it legal. Same goes for tandem weights.

I guess you must call the US Marshalls in, whereas I made myself legal.

If it really were only $25 per 1000 lbs, it would almost be an incentive to run overweight, because I would imagine that extra weight would pay more than $25. :roll:
You are exactly right, my company and many others knew the states that charged a flat fee for overgross, no matter how much, and would over-load accordingly. The scalemasters in Georgia would weigh you, call you in and say, "yep, many companies realize it'd cheaper to pay the 50.00 fine than load legal and tell a customer his shipment would have to wait." They wrote the 50.00 ticket and sent you on your way, usually in 10 minutes or less.

For tandem weights, I have been offered the chance to move weight if I could do it by hand, but usually for some reason they would not allow you to slide tandems/fifth wheel to achieve the same thing. Again, ticketed when warranted but never OOS in 25 years for weight violation.

I've never met a US Marshall that I know of, and making myself legal would have involved dumping food product on the ground at the scale house.
Closed Thread