Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
DH 58 miles to New Bedford MA,
load up a 44' long 100" wide 10 ton boat trailer
New Bedford To San Diego,.....
$1.58 per mile on 3,158 (includes DH)
Plus $400 extra (negotiated after the rate conf. was signed :wink: ) for loading and unloading (they need me on both ends)
$5,400
Delivers anyday I decide as long as its before Friday.
My way of thinking is that the $400 is pure profit. $400 for ~ 4 hours work = $100/hr.......you need to drive really fast to make $100/hr after all expenses. Sweat is good for the soul.....and the bottom line.

nicely done.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Doghouse, congrat's by the way. I think you should get a CB. I know some guys hate them, but at least get one for safety reasons. I see guys that drive by me with their door open or something falling off the truck and about to kill someone, and I will be trying to tell this person, but then I realize they don't have a CB. If you don't like the noise, squelch it all the way up, and turn down the gain so you can only hear the guys right next to you. Good luck :P
Old 12-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
Doghouse, congrat's by the way. I think you should get a CB. I know some guys hate them, but at least get one for safety reasons. I see guys that drive by me with their door open or something falling off the truck and about to kill someone, and I will be trying to tell this person, but then I realize they don't have a CB. If you don't like the noise, squelch it all the way up, and turn down the gain so you can only hear the guys right next to you. Good luck :P
Also last winter when I-80 was shut down stranding 100's,I was pre warned and was able to reroute and still make my delivery while other drivers from our company where forced to stay in their truck on the interstate over night.I very rarely talk on mine and usually just keep the volume up enough to hear if any thing is happening that I need to know about.

Unlike some other newbies I could care less about talking "miles" away,I get enough truck drivers stories every time one cares to share his experiences when I am trying to eat.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Guess you will be spending Christmas on a beach in San Diego!!

I think we will be in Portland OR for Christmas.

Be careful out there....

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Rank,
The loading/unloading wasn't too bad, but your right, it took 2 hrs to load, and I suspect 2 hrs to unload,...but no tarp,..so I'm liking that.
I like the "flatbed workout" it beats going to the gym any day.

Sidman & Mike,
Your right about the CB for those reasons,..problem is I never learned to use one properly. Maybe I'll get one,..what kind do you recommend,..I want to have the echo, and sound effects also,.....just kidding, a bare bone simple one will do.

Tootie,
Same coast,......but wrong ends!! I am trying to get a run home, so I'll just be in Cali. to unload, and get my genny,...then off I go.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Dog House How did you get your tach and speedo back? Did it just come back or did you find something?

Thanks Mike
Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I got to see my first "bird" today,...on the streets of New Bedford,...it was kind of fleshy colored and limp :roll:
Ok I have to ask, what's a bird? I can only imagine as that city is nasty.

By the way I don't know anything about flatbed but seems like a good rate, good job on that.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Get a basic model Galaxy. DX33, it's not to pricey. They are a good quality radio. Just get someone who knows what they are doing to tune your antenna and you will be good to go. I do not want to bring out Radio Ray, but my next radio will be the Connex 300 watt or New Ranger Chromed out 200 watt. :twisted: Shh! Those one's will cost you about $400-$450.
The small Galaxy you can get for about $150 or you can spend $100 bucks or less on a Cobra, alot of guys like them. Last but not least, you can get a nice Radio shack cb for like $29 dollars. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Sidman & Mike,
Your right about the CB for those reasons,..problem is I never learned to use one properly. Maybe I'll get one,..what kind do you recommend,..I want to have the echo, and sound effects also,.....just kidding, a bare bone simple one will do.
I have only had 2 radios in 21 yrs out here,both have been Cobra 29ltd's .Never had anything done to them except tuned and peaked.

Get them at any T/S and hook it up yourself,you dont need anything special just something to keep you informed.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
Get a basic model Galaxy. DX33, it's not to pricey. They are a good quality radio. Just get someone who knows what they are doing to tune your antenna and you will be good to go. I do not want to bring out Radio Ray, but my next radio will be the Connex 300 watt or New Ranger Chromed out 200 watt. :twisted: Shh! Those one's will cost you about $400-$450.
The small Galaxy you can get for about $150 or you can spend $100 bucks or less on a Cobra, alot of guys like them. Last but not least, you can get a nice Radio shack cb for like $29 dollars. Good luck.
Hey sidman i see your on long island i just went through C.D.T in w. babylon i passed my road test last week from your picture you look like a local guy. I was wonder if you have any advice i would like to stay local any direction you could point in thanks and stay safe