User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
It's amazing how many times I 've been to the auto auction and bought a car and the seller or rep told me " Well Im losing money " I usually said something like "yeah know what you mean, Ill probably lose on it
too, but who knows , maybe I'll get lucky " :roll: Seems like every business has it's whiners and complainers . The finance business and
construction was much the same,I guess trucking ain't much different. Better shut up before I get so depressed I go out and hang myself :wink:
LOL, or another good comeback line is " Just make up for it in volume" when they whine about losing money on a load
Old 01-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
I wish I had the money to hire an analyst
that's funny I don't care who you are.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Senior Board Member

I appreciate the comments from everyone. As for the broker (actually the assistant), to me it wasn't her comment that they were losing money on me it was the fact that she claimed she was "forced" to use me. It's like them always talking about the drivers that blame the brokers when in reality they don't need to take the load. In fact that's more or less what I told her too; that she wasn't forced to do anything.

That trip to PA was ok. It wasn't even the many drops but it was the fact that they were all in the middle of the night. It's like Steve with his naps. I can go to even 3 or 4 in the morning and actually like doing that but I don't like staying up all night. On top of that, it wasn't like I could just bump the dock and relax. I get worried that I'll fall asleep and they will not come get me and I'll miss the next appointment.

I also had my first run in with a lumper. It's amazing someone hasn't picked up a case with these people. I was so pissed I actually got up the road and realized that the kid didn't give me my receipt. So back to the place and back to arguing with him.

Just to jump forward a bit. I did a rush load last night to pick up steel coils in Michigan to take over to by Cleveland. Usually that goes on a flat bed and I was asking if the broker covered lumpers. I didn't realize that those things are like another world. It was like how Steve always says it is. They loaded me right away (I walk in with my shorts on and a hooded sweatshirt and they were looking at me like I was some tourist. But they ended up being real cool) and the customer was calling me to make sure I was going to make it. Then I get there and they unloaded me right away.

The customer even asked me if he could call me direct from now on. I was a bit hesitant as these brokers were pretty nice to me but this guy kept insisting. I think in a way it would have been better to get into flatbed (though I don't regret reefer at all now) as you are more likely able to meet people that have some type of authority instead of these people in these food warehouses. That little trip paid well too. From Perrysburg, OH (I'm setting up an office there no_worries ) to Dearborn, Mi to Solon, OH for $600. It should have been about 200 miles but a few misteps cost me.

Things brings me to something else I have been thinking about. I always put the rate here and the total miles. But when you live in the truck like a lot of us do and need to take a 20 mile trip to a truckstop to shower or 8 miles out of the way to get groceries is it right to try and have the load cover that? I mean in a fierce free market system like we all work under, those that stay out longer will have higher expenses then those that can get home to shower as an example. I know the best thing would be to do some of this stuff en route and cut out extra miles but that isn't always possible. And when you are done with a load it always isn't easy to just park there til you get the next one.

On top of that, I am making mistakes that are adding miles. These "Michigan lefts" as I found out they are called mess me up sometimes. Yesterday in Ohio there seemed like a lot of streets that didn't allow trucks.

Actually I was half way down one and then there was a sign of no trucks to continue on. Well it was dark as hell and in a neighborhood so I just kept going. Next thing I know there were two cops behind me and I got pulled over. To make a long story short he asked that I step out and asked for my license. I asked him if I could ask him a question and he said yes. I told him I know why he pulled me over and I saw the sign but I was already half way down the street what else was I supposed to do? He said I could have turned. I told him it was very dark and I pointed to the truck and said it's not easy to just pull this thing down a side street.

Well he took my license and the other one checked my insurance and they told me to wait in the truck. I was pissed because I am on a load that I massively regret taking in the first place (more on that in a minute). He comes back and hands me my license and asks me where I am trying to go. I told him the route I was taking and he said "No! don't do that cause that guy up there will really bust you" so he pointed me out the right way. I apoligized again for being on that street and he told me not to worry about it; and have a safe trip. So no ticket.

Anyway obviously I am out here to make money but I am trying to get a rate to make money and cover these little side steps. I am doing it but I wonder how the big companies measure their rate per mile.

Anyway I finished the load in PA and didn't even bother trying to get a load out. I just drove right back to where I started in OH. As it was Thursday and I wanted to be in Ohio on a Friday. I was about $1.67 I think for 1200 miles and half of those miles were deadhead miles. It would have been more but the fight with the lumper and a Walmart not being where the Gps said it would be cost me.

So while I am picking up a the load in Michigan a broker calls me about a load near where I am dropping off and going to Tenn. It had 5 stops. He was desperate and straight out told me that he was at my mercy. Well I let my guard down. I have been doing very well, I think, and I had this short load paying real good and he was more or less pleading and I let my guard down. I told him $1050. He was so happy it wasn't even funny. Here it is on a Friday night and he was at my mercy and I let my guard down. The thing that has me pissed though was he told me it was a frozen load and when I get there I find out it has to remain at 28 degrees continuous. On top of that, well I'll stop there cause I'm mad at myself as it is.

It's not even that I regret not raking him over the coals cause I do want to do good business out here and would like to be known for being reliable foremost but also fair, but both people need to be content with the rate and in the end I am not content. Well ce la vie I guess. Chalk it up to learning experience.

Anyway, when I was in PA I think, I drove by a truck dealer that had a big sign of "no money down needed" and no credit necessary and I'm thinking great that's all we need, more people that don't know how to manage money getting in this.

I know this seems harsh but it bears repeating that I am very new to all aspects of this business. So as I spend time out here and realize that there are really dumb people out here that are running for fuel which not only hurts them but kills the rates. I know people have been complaining about this for as long as I have been alive I think they dynamics of all of this are changing. With fuel the way it is, I think more and more of those that are running for fuel will be out of the game. Not to mention tighter credit restrictions. I have been thinking a lot of what that old man from Tenn was telling me. To repeat what I wrote earlier, he said that there will be more and more consolidation and those that can hang on for the next few years will be doing real well.

As most won't want to read all of this, I'll just sum it all up. I'm doing ok, Steve was right about the difference between flatbed and reefers and I got soft on a broker and am on a bad load and finally I hate staying up all night.

Edited numerous times to fix typos.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
he told me it was a frozen load and when I get there I find out it has to remain at 28 degrees continuous
If you were so inclined, you could have gotten out of the load based on that misinformation. Or, if the frozen part was on the confirmation you could have got more money. How much extra I don't know because I don't know reefer.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 AM

Well Merrick, you are ok, and doing fine. I was about to turn off the puter and go to sleep here in California, but glad you posted and told the story. Dont be too hard on yourself for letting up on that broker, it is a learning experience, and you wont forget it next time. It gets easier, trust me!

And we all get hung up on residential streets now and then. Glad you didnt get a ticket and a point on your record, you had a good officer.

Take care, & safe driving.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Actually Rank I did talk to him and I don't think he realized the difference. He should, but really til I started running reefer to me anything under 32 degrees would be frozen. And to be honest I had to be there at a certain time, but that was predicated on my finishing up on the previous load immediately. Usually I don't like to prebook so close as stuff could happen. So I was dragging my feet a bit and called to apologize and he said he paid the nightshift extra to stay open and wait on me.

So in the end, I'll just do this. I mean I agreed to it. It's kind of like offering someone something but you hope they don't take it. And then you have to go through with it but you truly were just hoping they would say no. You should have seen how happy this guy was thanking me profusly so like I said I agreed to bail this guy out and which I shouldn't have done so all I can do now is just look forward to this load ending.

Also I have never delivered in Tenn and this is up in the corner by NC and VA so I will see what's going on there. Honestly right now everything I'm doing is basically market research. I don't plan on staying in this truck. Even the guy I was working with keeps telling me that I need to get out of this truck. But If I stay in this business I want to know what's going on out here first hand.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Orange Andy. I'm glad I didn't get points on my license either. Actually I was thinking about that. I don't think everything results in points. Actually I have two things on my record. One was a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt (I think they changed the law in Florida and that does now result in points) and then I cut through a gas station to avoid a long line at a light. I truly didn't think that was against the law but I didn't get points for that either.

It was embarrassing though. My wife was with me (in my car) and I made a comment about the dumb asses waiting in line and she of course told me not to do it. ops: Actually what I did was instead of waiting at a red light to make a left I went straight and turned around the other way and came back to go right on red. But there were cars so I cut through the gas station.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Actually there was something else I wanted to mention. I was delivering in Harrisburg, PA and I got there like 5 hours early. I asked the guy where I could park and he tells me up the road. Well it was the entrance to the rail yard and man that was something. Lots and lots of JB Hunt rail cars.

I read that Chicago was basically the largest rail hub as a lot of the stuff from L.A. goes to Chicago by rail. This yard in Harrisburg must be another big one. Must be the stuff coming into the port of Philadelphia.

Must go by truck to Harrisburg and then from there on a train. It was non stop with trucks coming in and out.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
It's like Steve with his naps.
Naps? Did someone say naps? Put me down for one!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Merrick4, remember what most brokers would do if you called and said you're in a bind and REALLY need a load to get somewhere. That $1/mile load would magically be the only thing available.

Keep the same process you use to come up with your "fair" estimate, then add 50% when the desperate broker calls. You'll probably be more in line with what they were expecting to have to pay! And easier than changing all your estimating process on the fly.

Tags
read