User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Mike I'm out of here. They "insisted" that I take this load for well over $3.00 loaded, the load sucks but I need to get moving. Heading to PA again.

I called on a load btw to CH (I know never call them) but I told them I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and he pulled it up and said he can't pay me that again. The broker now just told me that the rates have dropped quite a bit since last week. I thought they bid on the loads for the year.

Anyway sorry I missed you again, next time the lunch will be on me :wink:
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Hey Mike I'm out of here. They "insisted" that I take this load for well over $3.00 loaded, the load sucks but I need to get moving. Heading to PA again.

I called on a load btw to CH (I know never call them) but I told them I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and he pulled it up and said he can't pay me that again. The broker now just told me that the rates have dropped quite a bit since last week. I thought they bid on the loads for the year.

Anyway sorry I missed you again, next time the lunch will be on me :wink:
no problem,we'll catch up later,good luck

Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Remember, just because they get rates for a one-year period, it doesn't mean that year begins Jan. 1 :wink:
Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Remember, just because they get rates for a one-year period, it doesn't mean that year begins Jan. 1 :wink:
I agree that's why they were making it sound like it does start on the 1st as they were telling me rates were down this week. But in the end it's true what Gman always says, they don't have to pay $1 more then the have to. If someone will haul it cheap then why should they pay more.

Look at me only months into this and I'm complaining about the cheap running trucks. Didn't take long to turn me into a curmudgeonly trucker .

Like I said though, if I could get a load out this wouldn't be bad. With deadhead it's about $3.00 a mile but quite a bit stops (4).

I read something interesting yesterday with regard to imported products. It takes about 4 times or tons I forget, of "up stream" products to complete a finished product of 1 ton manufactured here. whereas to import just takes the 1 ton capacity. I forget if it was tons but you know what I mean. Wait I just found the article again, "for every ton of finished goods there are 4.2 tons of upstream supplies."

I hate just bouncing around from load to load, I know there is some type of order in this. I wish I had the money to hire an analyst, but then again I remember listening to CNBC a couple of months ago and I remember one guy saying that oil will go back to $70 or so before it hits $100.

I think I read one time that Schnieder sent one of his sons to get a degree in economics. Smart move. Well my wife is getting her MBA and works in finance so I keep telling her to pay attention. School half the time in my opinion is just going through the motions rather than true learning. But as usual I digress .

He no_worries all this skiing and fitness you'll be pacing like a caged tiger when you get back into the truck and when your fiancee is driving. Too much fitness = too much energy.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I like your plan of sending the wife off for an MBA. Now she can support you in your early retirement. Oh, that wasn't your plan? :lol:

No skiing today...got snowed in :roll:

Lemme tell ya, after hearing everyone I know complaining about freight and rates to start the year (you seem to be an exception lately) I'm not in a hurry to get back on the road. I haven't checked a loadboard since the middle of December and I'm not too keen to start :? :lol:
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
I agree that's why they were making it sound like it does start on the 1st as they were telling me rates were down this week. But in the end it's true what Gman always says, they don't have to pay $1 more then the have to. If someone will haul it cheap then why should they pay more.

Look at me only months into this and I'm complaining about the cheap running trucks. Didn't take long to turn me into a curmudgeonly trucker .

Like I said though, if I could get a load out this wouldn't be bad. With deadhead it's about $3.00 a mile but quite a bit stops (4).

I read something interesting yesterday with regard to imported products. It takes about 4 times or tons I forget, of "up stream" products to complete a finished product of 1 ton manufactured here. whereas to import just takes the 1 ton capacity. I forget if it was tons but you know what I mean. Wait I just found the article again, "for every ton of finished goods there are 4.2 tons of upstream supplies."

I hate just bouncing around from load to load, I know there is some type of order in this. I wish I had the money to hire an analyst, but then again I remember listening to CNBC a couple of months ago and I remember one guy saying that oil will go back to $70 or so before it hits $100.

I think I read one time that Schnieder sent one of his sons to get a degree in economics. Smart move. Well my wife is getting her MBA and works in finance so I keep telling her to pay attention. School half the time in my opinion is just going through the motions rather than true learning. But as usual I digress .

He no_worries all this skiing and fitness you'll be pacing like a caged tiger when you get back into the truck and when your fiancee is driving. Too much fitness = too much energy.
Hey Merrick

Glad to see all of you still here beating the bushes !!!! I'm back from vacation and the Pete is in Atlanta getting the motor done !!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad you are getting decent rates, Merrick. I find it amusing that broker told you that they are losing money doing business with you. Perhaps they need to raise their haul rates to reflect current market conditions.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:11 PM

In 3 years of hauling scrap steel to Levins metal , and of the estimated 120 times I walked into their office, how many times do you think they announced that spot prices were actually UP, and things were great?

ZERO, NEVER, NADA.

Brokers much the same way. Always crying, whining, no money, get your rates inline.........blah yada blah.

I see it as a fun game, and enjoy turning it back on them, and tell them Im going to get into brokering, where the REAL big money is. They laugh, and usually knock the crap off after that. Or they quit bothering you and find some dummie to work over.

Win/Win.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Board Regular

It's amazing how many times I 've been to the auto auction and bought a car and the seller or rep told me " Well Im losing money " I usually said something like "yeah know what you mean, Ill probably lose on it
too, but who knows , maybe I'll get lucky " :roll: Seems like every business has it's whiners and complainers . The finance business and
construction was much the same,I guess trucking ain't much different. Better shut up before I get so depressed I go out and hang myself :wink:
Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Like I said though, if I could get a load out this wouldn't be bad. With deadhead it's about $3.00 a mile but quite a bit of stops. (4)

Nice job on the rates Merrick !!!

Multiple stops do suck though.

Tags
read