User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey broncrider1, reduce the size of your avatar Please!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Board Regular

Does anyone know how to resize an image? I posted a large pic and need to resize it too. Definitley makes the post hard to foillow.

Any Ideas???
Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Day Two of OTR Training 07/13/07
Today was “Friday the 13th.” Although many people are superstitious about that day/date, I am not and today was an easy and uneventful day as we continue to make our way towards Langeloth, PA.

I can’t remember if I mentioned this before or not, but after 22 years in the Navy, I have probably seen more countries than I have states, and so it has been nice to see my (our) beautiful home and today was a perfect day for driving. I ended up putting in just a little over 500 miles today before shutting down.

My shifting has improved a 100% from yesterday. It still need some work, but at least I am improving. By the way, George is teaching me to “float” the gears vice the double clutching that we learned in school and I like the floating MUCH better!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Day Three of OTR Training 07/14/07
Today was yet another great day for driving although I did not drive any today. My trainer wanted me to just observe as we went through WV and into PA to make our drop in Langeloth. You see, there are some pretty decent curves and hills and although none that are really a big deal to an experienced driver, they can be a little intimidating to a rookie like me. Well he was right. As I sat in the jump seat, I could see what he meant. However, now that I know what to expect, I get to drive them as we head out.

We made our delivery and bounced about 20 miles or so to Washington, PA where we picked up 40,000 lbs of sheet steel. This will have 2 drops, first some place in IA (can’t remember the name off the top of my head) and the final will be in Provo, UT. This was my first securement and tarp job. It took 2 of us only about an hour (would have been sooner had I known what I was doing and my training not having to tell me every move). We loaded inside a warehouse and it was HOT! I hate to admit this, but to be honest, I was exhausted after that. Again, guess I need to build my stamina.

We are currently at a TA truck stop in Valley Grove, WV and hooked up to “IdleAir” (Davis is nice enough to flip the bill for it for their drivers). I have read where a lot of drivers hate it, but I think it’s pretty cool. We have TV, A/C and who knows what else is on that gadget. The best part is it is so quite. I took a loooong hot shower and it felt so good. After I ate some dinner, I decided to take advantage of the early hour and do a load of laundry. So I am now clean and feeling fresh and have a restocked duffle bag with clean clothes.

Tomorrow we will be up at 3am sharp and by 4 be rolling out on our way to Iowa for a Monday drop.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Those bunks take a little getting use to but the time will fly when you will be in your own truck and no longer in a bunk!
I can't wait.

Quote:
Hey ask George if by any chance he was at Sage in Post Falls with Diana and Matt! I think he was the day I went down there! If it was tell him hello!
I will ask him when he gets back to the truck, but knowing him, I doubt it.

Quote:
Anyway it will all come to you! Glad you will be getting GOOD training!
thanks, i believe so too! Oh and btw, I did not, and WILL NOT forget about those cookies
Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
Alright! You are now on the ROAD! Wish you the best with your trainer and "finally training"(It really never ends) period. How long are you out with him? 6 weeks?

How was the 10 bags secured to the trailer? I imagine that they were 5 sets of bags side by side and a least one strap over each set. Is there any blocks on the deck preventing fore and aft movement? Was the loaded tarped?

When I drove it was a dry van and I once pulled a load of talc from Dillon, MT to Dallas. I remember these big bags(Don't remember the count) that may have been palletized. Of course, in a dry van only blocks were nailed to the floor behind the last 2.

Anyhow, best of luck.
thanks danske.....the 10 bags were loaded 5 in front and 5 on back. It had a "top' tarp covering the entire load. No blocking. it was "X" and one over the center of each, total of 5 straps for each set.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Once you get back to the posting here, tell me;

Did you enjoy the drive from Missoula to Big Timber? That is pretty cruel, getting to hit Homestake Pass the..(what...third hour out the gate?) But really..Homestake isn't that bad a hill. The drive from Missoula to Butte isn't so bad...awesome during the spring when things are greening up. Once your on the east side of Homestake it's a decent drive as well. The lollipop's between Whitehall and Three Forks are an easy drive.
to be honest, I am still trying to learn all the names or nicknames of various places out here. But I did enjoy the beautiful scenery and believe it or not, after the "terror" of it and it was all done and said with, I had a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
2; Not a question...more a "request". When you are headed back to Missoula, if you are headed up that way out of the Salt Lake City area...see if your trainer won't take you up over "Lost Trail Pass". That drive will really impress you. LOL...the fact that you ask to do it...may even impress your Trainer. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
i'll ask him about it.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncrider1
banned huh??? thats a load of BS
yeah....they said I was PM'ing people promoting this site....I said it was BS and go check my logg on history and what not. So I can't even read your thread anymore.

Quote:
i can only imagine yer first day....lol...dont feel bad about it, we all start somewhere, and training will be over quikly

one day , if it ever wiorks out, ill hafta have you over to the house, then on the way to missoula you can experiance macdonald pass (8% in places), just anouther one of the many wonderfull montana mountians, and dont worry ,my ditch is big enuff for 2 trucks....lol
i might take you up on that some time.

Quote:
if ya ever feel like bs'ing, the one who gave ya crap also has my cell #
I'll do that. Starting on this load I will be making the "daily' calls so I'll ask to be passed to that person and get your number.

Quote:
be safe , have fun and learn
thanks, I appreciate that.

Quote:
i myself am not an early riser so dont expect to see me that darn early in the day....lol
it's not that bad, I am getting used to it and I like the fact that there is light to no traffic at that hour.

Quote:
isnt the windmill a lovely place to be.....could be worse
Yeah, one of the most beautiful places I have ever visisited :roll: :lol:
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Day Four & Five of OTR Training 07/15-16/07
2 more days of training are behind me. The last couple of days were rather uneventful. Both days were absolutely gorgeous days for driving especially since a good portion of it was through secondary roads. It’s amazing how beautiful some of these out of the way places are.

We made it to our customer on Sunday evening and were able to park the truck right outside the property and wait for their morning arrival. Right after arriving, we unhooked all our bungee’s but did not remove the tarp. This way we are ready to rock and roll in the morning and by leaving the tarp on we were still in compliance. At 6am people started to show and by 7am the crane was pulling off the 1st of 5 steel plates we had for them. Shortly before 9am we were re-chained & tarped and on our way to our second drop in Utah.

Between the 2 days I have driven a little over 850 miles. As training progresses, I will drive more and more. Although I am only on day 5, things are coming together nicely. My shifting is almost flawless. There have been only one or two times that I have ground or missed a gear.

Tonight we are shut down at a TA truck stop off I-80 in Nebraska. Tomorrow will be another early rise day as we continue toward Utah for a Wednesday delivery.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Glad to see you are moving along! The first day is usually the hardest. That is until you miss your stop or get bad directions or have major construction slow you down and/or something go wrong with the truck.

But it is nice when things like that happen with your trainer vs being alone.

Glad you are getting your shifting down! I know it is a good feeling!

Goin Fer It's Wife