User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I don't know, the air filter I took out was dirty, yet the gauge didn't bust. The air intake was DEFINITELY dusted, to a point where I was pretty worried about it. I cleaned it out, and changed the filter.

Ever since then, my air intake has been SPOTLESS whenever I change my filter(once a year).

It all depends though, two filters wont clog as often as one will. Depends on environment too.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Actually, I've seen more than one source recommend removing the filter as infrequently as possible. There are three main reasons. First, in removing the filter you may dislodge contaminant that may find its way into the intake. Second, with the filter removed there is nothing to protect dust, dirt, etc, from blowing into the open housing. Third, as a filter ages the rubber seal on the end dries out. Once removed it may not form as tight a seal when it is put back in place. This is more evidence in support of using a vacuum gauge as you don't have to open the housing except for when it's time to replace. Granted, these don't seem like major risks, but every particle that gets in the engine causes damage.
Alright, those reasons all make sense. They are different reasons. Now, if I can just get a guage I can rely on.

Allan5oh, are you saying your Filter Minder or whatever didn't work properly? I'd just like to here someone on the board say they're junk like some mechanics have said to me and like my own experience. Actually, I guess it would be better if someone said they most definitely should work so I ought to get a new one!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Splitshifter, just because an expert says something doesn't mean it's true. Look a this

Quote:
Q: Will more frequent servicing of my air cleaner extend my engines life?

A: Just the opposite, over-servicing will cause increased service cost, time and material and dust contamination of the engine due to:
1. Element damage, due to excessive handling,
So, what do you think, Splitshifter? Do you believe it damages your filter if you take it out and look at it? I think if everyone is honest you're going to be in the minority if you do.

As no worries said, the end gaskets on the filter "take a set" after being compressed for months at a time, and when reinstalled may not seal as effectively, allowing dirt to get through.

Quote:
2. Improper installation of element,
Do you think that even I could screw up putting an air filter in my truck? I've got a Century Class, I don't have anything fancy like the dual external filters or anything?

It's not a matter of skill.

Quote:
3. Increased initial inefficiencies.
What does this even mean? I know what it means, it means the very thing No_Worries was talking about from the beginning.

Initial inefficiency means that the filter initially allows more dirt to get thru until it becomes partially clogged.

You know, I just can't stop using my brain because an expert is supposed to have said something. Let's leave the experts out of it a minute, I'd like to read your personal opinion regarding these three given reasons.

Mike3fan, the discussion Splitshifter and I are having has to do with this question:
Quote:
Q: Will more frequent servicing of my air cleaner extend my engines life?
No, it may actually shorten your engine's life because every time the filter is disturbed, a minute amount of dirt can find its way into the intake system.

Your comment is related to this question:
Quote:
Q: Can you judge air filter element service life by visual inspection?
I just want to establish that it is a separate issue. I don't have those kinds of filters and I have a question. In the real world, do you or does anyone you know with a large car hesitate to look at the filter to inspect it?
Old 05-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
I don't know, the air filter I took out was dirty, yet the gauge didn't bust. The air intake was DEFINITELY dusted, to a point where I was pretty worried about it. I cleaned it out, and changed the filter.
Sounds like the element was ruptured, or the end gaskets were not sealing.

This would allow dirt to get thru, and since not all the air is going thru the filter element, even if the element was clogged, there would not be enough suction developed to move the restriction gauge.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
As no worries said, the end gaskets on the filter "take a set" after being compressed for months at a time, and when reinstalled may not seal as effectively, allowing dirt to get through.
Maybe I have it wrong, you're saying the rubber end is the 'element'?

Quote:
It's not a matter of skill.
What would cause improper installation of the element?

None of this is personal. Earlier when I wrote 'BS' that was just a shorthand for 'what they're saying doesn't make any sense to me.' Nothing more.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Maybe I have it wrong, you're saying the rubber end is the 'element'?
Your air filter element will have a rubber or sometimes foam rubber gasket on one or both ends where it seals against the filter housing.

These can get compressed over time as they are squeezed while installed in the housing.

Also, the gasket could be stuck to the filter housing and may partially tear when you pull the element out.

When you remove and reinstall it, the gaskets may not in exactly the same position relative to the filter housing, and due to the fact that the gaskets are already compressed and hardened from age, leaks can occur.

Quote:
What would cause improper installation of the element?
You must be sure to wipe out the interior of the air filter housing with a damp lint free rag.
Be sure it is hospital clean in there before installing the filter element.

Some filters have 3 or 4 snap type clamps that hold the element into the housing. These must all be in good condition, and must snap over center with enough pressure to hold the element securely and compress the gaskets.

If these retaining clamps are defective, the element gaskets may not seal.

Some filters have about 8 or 10 plastic nuts on top of the housing which hold the lid on and compress the element gaskets against the housing when tightened down.

Improper tightening of these nuts can cause dirt to be drawn in between the lid and the air filter housing and the dirt will go straight to the engine.

I have also seen instances where someone would overtighten and snap off 1 or 2 studs, or strip the threads, then they would figure "ahh, the rest of 'em will hold it". Nope. A couple years ago I did an in frame engine overhaul for a guy. The piston rings were wiped out, and upon closer inspection the entire intake system had a film of dirt on the inside.

I took a look at the air filter housing and sure enough - 2 broken off studs where the lid fastens to the top.

Took the filter apart and could see the "dirt trail" where the gasket was leaking because of the broken studs.

Many thousands of dollars for an engine overhaul that would never have been necessary if that air filter element had been properly installed.

Needless to say, I removed the air filter housing and took out the broken studs and welded in new ones before that truck went back on the road.

Also had to carefully clean out all the dirt on the inside of the intake piping.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't be too careful.

The entire air filter and intake system has to be perfect, or a $10,000.00 engine overhaul can result.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Board Member

This is some good stuff. I've had my air filter off and there was this 'dusting' or just plain dirt in there. I'm going to take it off and get it hospital clean as you say and monitor it a bit. I know that defies the advice about leaving it alone but I just want to be sure it's staying clean and not leaking around the gasket and that the clips are adequately pressing it in.

What is your experience with Filter Minder, Splitshifter? Do you find them reliable?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
This is some good stuff. I've had my air filter off and there was this 'dusting' or just plain dirt in there. I'm going to take it off and get it hospital clean as you say and monitor it a bit. I know that defies the advice about leaving it alone but I just want to be sure it's staying clean and not leaking around the gasket and that the clips are adequately pressing it in.

What is your experience with Filter Minder, Splitshifter? Do you find them reliable?
Just about every dry type air filter I've ever encountered had a filter minder or some type of restriction gauge on it. Some are on the air filter housing, and some are remotely mounted in the dashboard.

They do work, but like anything else, failures do occur.

Even if the filter minder does not rise to the level showing that filter replacement is needed, the filter element should be changed at a maximum interval of one year.

Other than that the filter should be left alone.

Keep in mind that if the filter media is perforated, or the gaskets are not sealing properly, the restriction gauge will not rise, because the air (and dirt) is following the path of least resistance instead of going thru the filter element.

I would say that as long as you're removing the element, you should put in a new one, then leave it alone.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Just about every dry type air filter I've ever encountered had a filter minder or some type of restriction gauge on it. Some are on the air filter housing, and some are remotely mounted in the dashboard.

They do work, but like anything else, failures do occur.

Even if the filter minder does not rise to the level showing that filter replacement is needed, the filter element should be changed at a maximum interval of one year.

Other than that the filter should be left alone.

Keep in mind that if the filter media is perforated, or the gaskets are not sealing properly, the restriction gauge will not rise, because the air (and dirt) is following the path of least resistance instead of going thru the filter element.

I would say that as long as you're removing the element, you should put in a new one, then leave it alone.
That sounds good, Splitshifter, and that may be just how I'll do it. I'll tinker with this filter minder and if it's just popping way too early or whatever, I'll replace it. Clean out the housing well, change the filter, just let it all be.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Sounds like the element was ruptured, or the end gaskets were not sealing.

This would allow dirt to get thru, and since not all the air is going thru the filter element, even if the element was clogged, there would not be enough suction developed to move the restriction gauge.

That sounds like the best exlpanation I've heard. Now I have a question, how do you inspect this without pulling it out? You don't, and the filter minder will actually read very good even after the filter is clogged.