User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss
cam. i've been told that you shine a flashlight thru the inside of air filter & if you can see the light thru other outside end, than it's o.k. if light does not penetrate filter than dirty & time to replace. this told to me by williams detroit shop mgr.
Well, maybe that'll work. People have told me to hold it up to the sunlight but you can't see anything even with a new filter. I'll give it a shot, thanks.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:02 PM

[quote="Splitshifter"]
Quote:

While you're under there greasing, always look at things.

Stop trouble before it stops you.
Good advise.
Make a habbit out of looking the truck over.
Checking for hoses that might be rubbing, u-joints, tires, and just everything.
This way you will become familiar with how things should look and how the shouldn't.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Found some info on air filter maintenance here:
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/faqs/faqhdair.htm

Some highlights from that info:

Quote:
Q: Can you judge air filter element service life by visual inspection?

A: Visual inspection is not a recommended method for determining an air filter's service condition. Measuring intake system restriction is the most reliable determination of filter life. Service by restriction allows the filter to remain in service until the maximum allowable restriction limit for the application is reached.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can heavy duty air filter elements be cleaned or reused?

A: Most heavy duty air filter manufacturers do not recommend any type of cleaning process be used on their products. Further, they do not warrant their product once it has been cleaned.
Reference TSB-89-4R2 for further details.

Q: Will more frequent servicing of my air cleaner extend my engines life?

A: Just the opposite, over-servicing will cause increased service cost, time and material and dust contamination of the engine due to:
1. Element damage, due to excessive handling,
2. Improper installation of element,
3. Increased initial inefficiencies.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter

Quote:

A: Visual inspection is not a recommended method for determining an air filter's service condition. I believe it Measuring intake system restriction is the most reliable determination of filter life. Maybe I'm going to have to learn to work with that Filter Minder or replace it Service by restriction allows the filter to remain in service until the maximum allowable restriction limit for the application is reached.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: Most heavy duty air filter manufacturers do not recommend any type of cleaning process be used on their products. Further, they do not warrant their product once it has been cleaned.

A: Just the opposite, over-servicing will cause increased service cost, time and material and dust contamination of the engine due to:
1. Element damage, due to excessive handling, BS
2. Improper installation of element, C'mon! BS!
3. Increased initial inefficiencies. No BS, back to that point about the filter hitting peak efficiency after it's been used a bit
Old 05-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter

Quote:

A: Visual inspection is not a recommended method for determining an air filter's service condition. I believe it Measuring intake system restriction is the most reliable determination of filter life. Maybe I'm going to have to learn to work with that Filter Minder or replace it Service by restriction allows the filter to remain in service until the maximum allowable restriction limit for the application is reached.

1. Element damage, due to excessive handling, BS
2. Improper installation of element, C'mon! BS!
3. Increased initial inefficiencies. No BS, back to that point about the filter hitting peak efficiency after it's been used a bit

Please communicate your allegations of BS to the filter council, the authors of the info that I posted.

Thank You.

From now on, I'll refrain from trying to help anyone around here by answering questions.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member

WWWWWhhhhhhaaaaattttt!? Splitshifter, you're being way too sensitive!

Even you will agree with me that you can check your filter as often as you like without damaging it or without forgetting how to put it back! The issue is the one No Worries first brought up and you confirmed that the filter is at it's optimum after it's got a little dirt in it. I mean, if the experts think I can't install the filter properly every time, I mean, what is there to installing a filter? If they think I can't install it properly every single time the're just wrong.

Your posts are good and helpful. But, please don't make me a bad guy for doing nothing more than saying what I think.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
you're being way too sensitive!
Not a case of hypersensitivity at all.

You asked for information, so I initially stated what I knew from my personal experience, then supported it with a link to a website sponsored by the filter industry.

If you believe that my advice or the information contained in the link is not credible or is incorrect, that is entirely your decision to make.

I, however am just trying to help anyone who asks a question concerning a subject which I have knowledge of.

In other words, if I don't know anything about a subject that someone is asking about, I don't attempt to comment on it.

If I do have knowledge concerning a subject that someone is asking about, I am more than willing to share that knowledge with them.

BS is not one of my subjects.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I was told once,that when you take an air filter out of the canister it should be replaced,knida goes along with what they were saying,who knows,bunch of differing views though.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Splitshifter, just because an expert says something doesn't mean it's true. Look a this

Quote:

1. Element damage, due to excessive handling,
So, what do you think, Splitshifter? Do you believe it damages your filter if you take it out and look at it? I think if everyone is honest you're going to be in the minority if you do.

Quote:
2. Improper installation of element,
Do you think that even I could screw up putting an air filter in my truck? I've got a Century Class, I don't have anything fancy like the dual external filters or anything?

Quote:
3. Increased initial inefficiencies.
What does this even mean? I know what it means, it means the very thing No_Worries was talking about from the beginning.

You know, I just can't stop using my brain because an expert is supposed to have said something. Let's leave the experts out of it a minute, I'd like to read your personal opinion regarding these three given reasons.

Mike3fan, the discussion Splitshifter and I are having has to do with this question:
Quote:
Your comment is related to this question:
Quote:
I just want to establish that it is a separate issue. I don't have those kinds of filters and I have a question. In the real world, do you or does anyone you know with a large car hesitate to look at the filter to inspect it?
Old 05-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Actually, I've seen more than one source recommend removing the filter as infrequently as possible. There are three main reasons. First, in removing the filter you may dislodge contaminant that may find its way into the intake. Second, with the filter removed there is nothing to protect dust, dirt, etc, from blowing into the open housing. Third, as a filter ages the rubber seal on the end dries out. Once removed it may not form as tight a seal when it is put back in place. This is more evidence in support of using a vacuum gauge as you don't have to open the housing except for when it's time to replace. Granted, these don't seem like major risks, but every particle that gets in the engine causes damage.