User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I met a guy that has ran for Swift the last 13 years. He says he runs as % (percentage) and grossed 160,000 last year and took home 60-80K. He couldn't tell me how much he averages per mile though, so it shows what a "driver" he was, and not a businessman(person).
Old 05-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You can make money regardless of what type of freight you haul. Sometimes you need to think outside of the box. I have met BCO's who pull a van and make $2/mile (to the truck), and others who are close to half that amount. When you are an owner operator you are a businessman. It is difficult for some drivers to grasp that concept. Some never seem to make it out of that mindset. Those who treat it like a business will usually find a way to make it work. Those who still look at themselves as a driver will find it difficult to make things work. Every company will have their pros and cons.
Gman, I've heard of guys getting rich buying lottery tickets. I'm not talking about the one in a thousand. I'm not talking the fairy tales, I'm talking about what the majority of BCO's are making. Does somebody make $2 per mile to the truck pulling dry van!? 8,000 power units, yeah, probably somebody.

It takes time and perseverance to be successful. I met several who did very well pulling a van for Landstar. One guy I recall kept a set of ramps underneath his trailer, furniture pads, logistics straps, etc., He primarily did LTL freight. Most of the guys I met who did above average found a niche' for themselves. It takes much more initiative with an agent based carrier. You need to allow yourself sufficient time to learn their system. One other thing to keep in mind is that this past year has been extremely slow for most freight. There is a 90/10 rule. It goes something like this. 10% of the owner operators will earn 90% of the money. In business the same rule should apply. 10% of the business people will make 90% of the money. I am not saying most people will earn $2/mile pulling a van. Those who can think outside of the box are the ones who will fit in this category. Some owner operators won't be interested in sharing their best paying gigs. With Landstar, I found most were willing to help me and others. I don't know whether this is still the case. And you can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket. :wink:
Old 05-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There is a 90/10 rule. It goes something like this. 10% of the owner operators will earn 90% of the money. In business the same rule should apply. 10% of the business people will make 90% of the money. I am not saying most people will earn $2/mile pulling a van. Those who can think outside of the box are the ones who will fit in this category
There's another rule, Gman. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile. :wink:
Old 05-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Rookie

I never met anyone who makes $2 per mile, I don`t know where those people are.I had a dedicated run Nashville-Atlanta-Nashville that paid $550 per nite, lite load and thats around .93 per mile and one trip to Memphis with 475 miles every Monday that pays $475, $1.00 per mile.
I tought that was not bad and I liked the fact that it was a dedicated run...until the company got bought out and the new management canceled my run, now I`m stuck with $1,300.00 a month truck payment and try to look for another company to get on with.Wish I can get $2.00 per mile.

JJ
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is difficult to get $2/mile running for a carrier and pulling a van. The only way to even come close is to find a carrier who pays percentage and has good rates. It will be difficult to find that rate with a van unless you do LTL's. That is what the guy I mentioned did. If you want the higher rates, you need to find a niche' or work a little smarter. As an owner operator, you should be making at least $1.50/mile. If not, I would look for another carrier. I won't haul a load unless I can make a fair profit from it. I understand that I am in a little different situation since I run my own authority, however when I leased to a carrier, I still refused to take a load which would not pay me a fair profit. You have more control than you realize if you are an owner operator. It is up to you to decide what it will take for you to move a load. There are plenty of carriers who will pay you much more than $1/mile.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It is difficult to get $2/mile running for a carrier and pulling a van. The only way to even come close is to find a carrier who pays percentage and has good rates. It will be difficult to find that rate with a van unless you do LTL's. That is what the guy I mentioned did. If you want the higher rates, you need to find a niche' or work a little smarter. As an owner operator, you should be making at least $1.50/mile. If not, I would look for another carrier. I won't haul a load unless I can make a fair profit from it. I understand that I am in a little different situation since I run my own authority, however when I leased to a carrier, I still refused to take a load which would not pay me a fair profit. You have more control than you realize if you are an owner operator. It is up to you to decide what it will take for you to move a load. There are plenty of carriers who will pay you much more than $1/mile.
they pay .90 some per mile but then they have fuelsurcharge and that`s where I get confused.Who are the carriers that pay $1.50 per mile?

JJ
Old 05-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_jeff11us
they pay .90 some per mile but then they have fuelsurcharge and that`s where I get confused.Who are the carriers that pay $1.50 per mile?

JJ
you need to look at carriers that pay percentage,they are the ones that you will have a better chance at making above $1@mile.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_jeff11us
I never met anyone who makes $2 per mile,
I rarely going east, from OH, for under that. My current load to Yaphank, NY(long Island), pays me $1,339(my cut), for 610 miles! :roll:

PS Getting back to OH, is a different story! :sad: :wink:
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Rookie

that`s good money
Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Rookie

well,it looks like I`ll be going with Crete, they are checking out my refrences.Problem is I have only 1 year TT experience and no Hazmat yet, so to get to $2 pm I need some more time.I`m still green in TT OTR business, but I have a family and good benefits are very important to me.I lost my dedicated run and I have no choice, I have bills, all kind of bills (like many other), wife and kids, car payment etc...I have to get my foot in a door and make some cash in the process and I can look at $2 pm later, maybe in a year or two.I might get Tank endorsment and pull tanks,looks like that pays pretty well.I`ll let you know how it goes with a Crete,so far they were realy nice and friendly,good benefits and decent pay.at least for a newbie like me :wink:

Db