Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Belpre said:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchM
In your opinion, what do you think are some of the better carriers for new drivers?
Simple Butch! Local driving is not only where you are apt to find the better carriers, but the good paying, steady jobs.
Minor correction here. You work for an OIL company, do you not? That is NOT a carrier. MANY "local" jobs do not qualify as working for a CARRIER, such as "delivering" beer or soda. Those are called Distributors. Carriers "carry" freight. If you're going to answer a question addressed to someone else, at least get your facts straight. :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
If I end up having to work OTR then I would definitely want to find someone that I could stay with for a year or two, or longer if the company actually takes care of it's guys.
Pray that you can avoid OTR sentencing guidelines. If you find an OTR carrier that you stay with for a year..........or two, let us know. You will be known as the Mark Spitz/Michael Phelps of the OTR industry.
I stayed with my first Carrier for 32 months. Send me my gold medals! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

"CHILLRUN'S, CHILLRUN'S, chillrun's" !!!

You all need to go stand in a corner, count ever fiber your eyes see in that corner, and not come out until you have an accurate count of those fibers!!!

Chill out dudes! Your taking things way to serious!!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Hey GMAN: I need to stop lashing out at you and address my problem directly??? I DID. Thats why I drive Local now. Thats why I made last year about $50k driving average 8h a day. I am NOT lashing out at you. It seems to me you are owner or lease operator??? So maybe its different for you. I drove 3 years OTR. Never in MY LIFE have I worked so hard and long for so LITTLE return. Its just your claim, and some others here, that because we dont want to work for less than minimum wage we are either lazy or ask for the world. The first year OTR I made $40k in a no name company, driving 20h days. I got told: Dont worry about logbooks. They dont ever check you. YEAH, RIGHT!!!!! After I went to a REAL company and I had to drive like law requires it, I made $35K. My last year OTR was, in hope for some better return, with a big reefer company. How much fun that was. And I only was back at $40K. I am NOT a new driver....I have a CDL since 91....just not in the U.S. Since I started my linehaul over a year ago I never LOST A SINGLE day of pay. And when you say how this companys like Yellow freight, roadway or R+L do it these days....VERY GOOD. Since so many companys went under we have more freight then we can handle. I would pull TRIPLES every night if that would be legal in PA.....thats how busy we are.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Board Regular

hey belpre, was the 'bigballs' reference to the great ac/dc/ song by the same name...i hope so, you just may be a little cooler than i thought. the thing with me is i say what is on my mind, we can argue or wrestle, and when things are settled then it is over...unless it comes up again and again and again. i bet if some of you guys would run with me and talk on the radio or stop and get some coffee, you might like me. we may not agree on everything. but we can still have some fun.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488
hey belpre, was the 'bigballs' reference to the great ac/dc/ song by the same name...i hope so, you just may be a little cooler than i thought. the thing with me is i say what is on my mind, we can argue or wrestle, and when things are settled then it is over...unless it comes up again and again and again. i bet if some of you guys would run with me and talk on the radio or stop and get some coffee, you might like me. we may not agree on everything. but we can still have some fun.
It sure was a reference to the great AC/DC song.

No doubt, you've always said exactly what is on your mind. Hell Jed, during your absence, I even used one of your lines as a sig for a while because I still think that it was one of the best lines/threads ever on CAD.

I'm on vacation next week. If I end up going down to Belpre, I'll see if your going to be around and go down 33, and maybe have a cold one. I think that a photo op with Belpre/Jedfxg is just the shot in the arm that CAD may need. :lol:

Oh yeah, the sig line I am talking about?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Did CFM just say something profound or was it the same bu!!shit.-the late, great Jedfxg

Remember that one? :lol:

Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Board Regular

hey belpre, i actuall live about 25 minutes from lancaster and till next friday haul out of the paper mill that is on 33 right as you go out of lancaster, there is a bar right across the street that sells all beer at good prices...mich ultra for 1.50. i also got family down in wv, right near belpre. parkersbugh, actually vienna. and the rest is from up in st. marys. i drink beer with anybody, give me a shout...i figure that friday evening when i am done with this job i will be a might bit thirsty.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488
hey belpre, i actuall live about 25 minutes from lancaster and till next friday haul out of the paper mill that is on 33 right as you go out of lancaster, there is a bar right across the street that sells all beer at good prices...mich ultra for 1.50. i also got family down in wv, right near belpre. parkersbugh, actually vienna. and the rest is from up in st. marys. i drink beer with anybody, give me a shout...i figure that friday evening when i am done with this job i will be a might bit thirsty.
I have to agree with belpe about you. Your definately a dick sometimes but I always thought you were a funny dick and I loved reading what you would say next! And dont get all bent about the dick comment I'm just messing with ya cause thats what you called everyone else whenever you got mad. :lol:

Besides your a Buckeyes fan so its all good. Welcome back Jed. :wink:
Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Board Regular

snowman, if dick is the worst thing i get called then i guess it is a good day. i beleive in saying eactly what is on your mind, if people cant handle that then to hell with them...just don't insult angus young, he is a god. while i totally diagree with lBJ and others i respect their opinions, sometimes we all get out of control. shake hands and move on or don't shake hands and move on, life is to short. if i don't like ya then i won't talk to ya, simple as that and alot less stressful.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
Quote:
Hey G, I'm sure I could get used to it. By prison I actually meant being in such a tight space for long periods of time if you get stuck waiting repeatedly.
Prison is actually a common training ground for OTR drivers. Strange that you would make such a correlation, Butch. Yes, imprisonment is probably a fair comparison to 'cool beans' OTR trucking.

Quote:
In your opinion, what do you think are some of the better carriers for new drivers?
Simple Butch! Local driving is not only where you are apt to find the better carriers, but the good paying, steady jobs.

Quote:
If I end up having to work OTR then I would definitely want to find someone that I could stay with for a year or two, or longer if the company actually takes care of it's guys.
Pray tell that you can avoid OTR sentencing guidelines. If you find an OTR carrier that you stay with for a year..........or two, let us know. You will be known as the Mark Spitz/Michael Phelps of the OTR industry.

Quote:
I'm getting into a trucking career for stability. Learn the ropes, play by the rules, drive safe and professional, and keep a job. The idea of bouncing around from job to job has never really appealed to me.
Let's hope that it all works out that way, Butch. If you end up OTR, you'll find out soon enough about the whole 'play by the rules,' 'drive safe,' ruses that cut-rate OTR carriers blabber on about only to satisfy insurance requirements and to pacify the DOT.

Quote:
Thanks G for the input.
Anytime Butch! Always happy to help.

Gary
Thanks Belpre,

That's what I'm looking for...the honest, un-sugar coated stuff. I just know that wherever I end up it will be in my best interest to know more than I need to know ahead of time.

-butch
Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It can get a bit cramped if you are in a truck for extended periods of time. It helps to get out of the truck and walk around or go into a truck stop and sit in the drivers lounge for a while to break up the monotony.

I have heard some good things about Roehl, Millis and a few other carriers who hire new drivers. Swift and Schneider catch a lot of flack, but I think both are good companies. You don't become that big without doing more things right than wrong. I have met some Swift drivers who are doing very well. I think the biggest complaint are their slower trucks. I prefer going a little faster, but the idea is to make a good living. I met a guy with Swift who told me he made $57,000/year and he had only been with them for about 2 years. I believe he worked a dedicated account for them. Most people will not stay with a carrier long enough to see the larger paychecks. They are always chasing that penny raise. As to which company would be best for someone starting out? That would depend on where you lived and what you want. If I were starting out and needed a company to start my career I would probably look first at Millis and Roehl. There seems to be less negative posts that I can recall from these two carriers. I would check with several of them to see which one is the best fit. You need to find where they run and when they can get you home, if that is important to you. What works for me might not work for you. Take your time and talk with several carriers before making a decision. Keep in mind that you don't have to stay with any carrier permanently, but the longer you do stay will enable you to move to the better companies.
Thanks GMAN,

I'll start making calls next week to get the ball rolling and find out first who'll hire me after I finish school and those that will I'll be asking as much as I can about their business, trucks, scheduling, etc. Hopefully a couple of weeks I'll have enough information from the companies to check the info against actual road experience on these forums.

-Butch