LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122
SilverWulf wrote:
It is perplexing that someone would consider sitting in the sleeper and surfing the web while getting loaded

That SilverWulf, is something that you'll have to take up with golfhobo. Razz
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's a good one Quarter cab guy! But, you "misunderestimate" me! I would never consider surfing while intoximacated! Too dangerous! Besides, I need to be able to "control" my PARKED vehicle while drinking! Shocked
LOL - Am I mistaken Golfhobo, or should your wheels be "chocked" before you cocked...:lol:
Quote:

Belpre said:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchM
In your opinion, what do you think are some of the better carriers for new drivers?
Simple Butch! Local driving is not only where you are apt to find the better carriers, but the good paying, steady jobs.
Minor correction here. You work for an OIL company, do you not? That is NOT a carrier. MANY "local" jobs do not qualify as working for a CARRIER, such as "delivering" beer or soda. Those are called Distributors. Carriers "carry" freight. If you're going to answer a question addressed to someone else, at least get your facts straight. :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchM
If I end up having to work OTR then I would definitely want to find someone that I could stay with for a year or two, or longer if the company actually takes care of it's guys.
Pray that you can avoid OTR sentencing guidelines. If you find an OTR carrier that you stay with for a year..........or two, let us know. You will be known as the Mark Spitz/Michael Phelps of the OTR industry.
I stayed with my first Carrier for 32 months. Send me my gold medals! :lol:
:lol: 33 months for a Gold...sounds reachable, we'll see.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
Even new people to the board are tired of your guys $&!+ and they see right through it also.
6:00PM Indianapolis time. Gotta go drive the 1/4 cab.

I just checked. 5710 views on a thread about getting OUT of OTR trucking.

Yeah, they're real tired Pinocchio. Real tired of being misled by the likes of clowns like you. ops:

Glad you enjoyed the post!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
just don't insult angus young, he is a god.
At least in this pic, he looks like Gallagher. In the last pic, he looked like Richard Simmons.

:P

Now, try not to burn the board down over the weekend.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehotte
Hey GMAN: I need to stop lashing out at you and address my problem directly??? I DID. Thats why I drive Local now. Thats why I made last year about $50k driving average 8h a day. I am NOT lashing out at you. It seems to me you are owner or lease operator??? So maybe its different for you. I drove 3 years OTR. Never in MY LIFE have I worked so hard and long for so LITTLE return. Its just your claim, and some others here, that because we dont want to work for less than minimum wage we are either lazy or ask for the world. The first year OTR I made $40k in a no name company, driving 20h days. I got told: Dont worry about logbooks. They dont ever check you. YEAH, RIGHT!!!!! After I went to a REAL company and I had to drive like law requires it, I made $35K. My last year OTR was, in hope for some better return, with a big reefer company. How much fun that was. And I only was back at $40K. I am NOT a new driver....I have a CDL since 91....just not in the U.S. Since I started my linehaul over a year ago I never LOST A SINGLE day of pay. And when you say how this companys like Yellow freight, roadway or R+L do it these days....VERY GOOD. Since so many companys went under we have more freight then we can handle. I would pull TRIPLES every night if that would be legal in PA.....thats how busy we are.

I have never been a lease operator. I own my trucks and run my own authority. I have been a company driver and an owner operator. I have leased my trucks to a carrier, but I have NEVER been a lease operator. A lease operator leases a truck from the carrier for whom he leases. He doesn't own the truck. I have a good understanding about the various aspects of this business because I have done it all. Just because I own trucks doesn't mean that I don't understand what this business is all about or what it is like to drive a truck. I still drive. I just happen to own the truck that I drive. I don't need to run illegally, whether I drive my own equipment or someone else. I have never asked my drivers to log or do anything else that was not legal. If that is what you experienced, I assure you that is not what most carriers want from their drivers. It isn't worth the risk. If a carrier pushes you to run illegally and you become involved in an accident they are the ones who lose and pay the bill. There are some carriers who may push their drivers, but most will not do anything that would create liability for them. Most drivers can do their jobs and do so legally. It is a matter of planning. If you are a company driver and cannot make a pick up or delivery then you need to communicate that to your dispatcher. There are some bad companies out here, but there are also some bad drivers. Like I said, I have been on both sides of the desk.

I am glad you are doing well with your company. I can go to work for another carrier and make $50M+ if that is what I want to do. If I went back to hauling cars I could earn $75-100M+ and not own the equipment. There are carriers who mostly do over-sized and specialty hauling where I could do very well driving a company truck. The difference is that I have the experience. Carriers will pay for a good driver with experience. None of these companies will write me a check without me working. I don't mind working hard. I have worked hard all of my life. That is what we do, whether we work for a company or own it. I grew up in business and have mostly owned companies. I have always worked for what I have.

You like to work by the hour. I don't want to be limited by an hourly wage. I have ALWAYS earned more money by not watching or being a slave to a clock. Driving locally isn't what many of us want to do. Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean that you should put me or others down for doing what we enjoy. I haven't put you down for doing what you enjoy. You work for a carrier who is in a niche' market. Any time you are in a specialized or niche' market you will likely make more money than someone who is doing something everyone else is doing. It is doubful you would have your job without having some otr experience.

Many carriers are in trouble. That includes some LTL carriers. I can't say for sure whether your company is in trouble, but I have been told some of the LTL carriers are having trouble keeping enough freight on their trucks. They are still moving, but are not always loaded. You cannot run trucks long without freight. I hope your company isn't one that will not make it during these slower economic times. One thing is for sure, things change very quickly in this business. Things have slowed dramatically in the last couple of weeks. It should pick up in another 2-3 weeks, but what if it doesn't? We all are vulnerable to market conditions. There have been some mergers in the LTL market and some have accumulated a lot of debt. This is not a time to have huge debt. LTL carriers are not immune to bankruptcy or slow downs. It is good to be busy. If shippers go out of business or file bankruptcy, then suppliers will suffer along with them.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
For those of us that have more than two brain cells to rub together, we are out here making good money and laughing our asses off at you poor schmucks who have to fight traffic in a city every day and work on a fixed schedule because you aren't capable of working a schedule that varies.
Oh, I'm capable of working a varied schedule, alright. Did it for years doing multi-stop reefer and dry-van. I just don't want to live like that anymore.

I like being home everynight and sleeping in my own bed. I like showering in my own shower. I like eating fresh, healthy, home-cooked meals. I like my weekends off. I like not having to schedule my TAH with dispatch and hope they get me home on-time.

Best of all, I like having a life outside of and away from the truck. OTR = NO LIFE! You're constantly alone sleeping in filthy truckstops miles away from friends/family (if you can find a spot).

Been there, done that. You guys bragging about $1,200 take home living on the road...have at it. More power to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Many carriers are in trouble. That includes some LTL carriers. I can't say for sure whether your company is in trouble, but I have been told some of the LTL carriers are having trouble keeping enough freight on their trucks. They are still moving, but are not always loaded. You cannot run trucks long without freight. I hope your company isn't one that will not make it during these slower economic times. One thing is for sure, things change very quickly in this business. Things have slowed dramatically in the last couple of weeks. It should pick up in another 2-3 weeks, but what if it doesn't? We all are vulnerable to market conditions. There have been some mergers in the LTL market and some have accumulated a lot of debt. This is not a time to have huge debt. LTL carriers are not immune to bankruptcy or slow downs. It is good to be busy. If shippers go out of business or file bankruptcy, then suppliers will suffer along with them.
I don't know who you're talking to, but we've been doing well. We just hired 2 guys in the city and looking to put another man on in September.

Interesting thing is that over 2,000 owner operators and small fleets in truckload have gone out of business so far this year with many more to come. But only 2 LTL carriers have gone under - Alvan and Jevic.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James

Oh, I'm capable of working a varied schedule, alright. Did it for years doing multi-stop reefer and dry-van. I just don't want to live like that anymore.

I like being home everynight and sleeping in my own bed. I like showering in my own shower. I like eating fresh, healthy, home-cooked meals. I like my weekends off. I like not having to schedule my TAH with dispatch and hope they get me home on-time.

Best of all, I like having a life outside of and away from the truck. OTR = NO LIFE! You're constantly alone sleeping in filthy truckstops miles away from friends/family (if you can find a spot).

Been there, done that. You guys bragging about $1,200 take home living on the road...have at it. More power to ya.
I have a plenty good life living on the road. I have friends all over the country who I get to see on a semi-regular basis. I have hobbies other than the internet to keep me sane; radio controlled airplanes (built from scratch), and leather working are the two main ones I'm able to do while on the road.

I don't stop in filthy truckstops, I have learned over the years the areas to avoid and where the good ones are. It's not hard to adjust my schedule to be able to stop in a good area. I have found a bunch of smaller private truck stops that have extremely clean and nice showers. I couldn't tell you the last time I used a shower at a TA, Pilot, or Petro.

I cook most of my own meals in the truck, so eating healthy has never been a problem (cheaper that way too)

I don't have to worry about a mortgage/rent payment, utilities, etc... That money is going into the retirement account.

I don't worry about getting home on time. Any time I need to take time off I tell dispatch 3 days before hand and I'm there for as long as I need to be.

To answer snow-dudes question:

I work for a very small company (28 trucks) and pull a flatbed, as a company driver. Most of our freight is for the oilfield. 80% of the time we run from Texas up into the Dakotas or Montana, and right back to Texas.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I don't stop in filthy truckstops, I have learned over the years the areas to avoid and where the good ones are.
Anyway of knowing what to look for with out the years of experience?
I've been on a really bad truckstop run.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr
Quote:
I don't stop in filthy truckstops, I have learned over the years the areas to avoid and where the good ones are.
A lot of what I've found just comes from stopping in new places and seeing what is there.

Look for small to medium sized places that aren't affiliated with the major chains. The only exception I've found to this is the 'Coffee Cup Pilots' in the Dakotas and Montana, some of those are pretty nice, others are dumps though. The further outside of a major metro area you are, the better your chances are of finding something good.

There are very few 'good ones' on the interstate network. There are some, but it is rare. Most of the ones I stop at are on state or federal highways in smaller towns.

If you don't have an exit guide or truckstop directory, get one. As you are able, stop here and there and check out the stops. If they are bad, cross them off the list and highlight the good ones.

Quite a few of the ones I've found don't have billboards or advertising that I've seen, but are listed in one of those books. You wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking for it kinda places.

BOL
Old 08-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
I don't know who you're talking to, but we've been doing well. We just hired 2 guys in the city and looking to put another man on in September.

Interesting thing is that over 2,000 owner operators and small fleets in truckload have gone out of business so far this year with many more to come. But only 2 LTL carriers have gone under - Alvan and Jevic.

Actually there have been over 1,900 carriers that have gone out of business so far this year. There have been more than 88,000 owner operators who have lost their trucks or gone out of business the first two quarters of this year. The average number of trucks these carriers have is 35, if I remember correctly. I have not read any figures as to the type of freight they hauled.

When an economy is off it affects every one. No segment is immune. I hope your company doesn't have the serious difficulties that others are having. I don't like to see any company fail.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by str.whl.hldr
Quote:
Haven't been out there too long myself, but try this. Look for a medium sized parking lot, well lit, with lots of open spaces. The more "heavy haulers" and wide loads you see, the better.

Look for a "chalet" type roof. Don't ask me why.

Look for an oil company brand name sign, instead of a truckstop chain sign. A "family restaurant" or BBQ sign is usually good, but not always.

Stay away from any place with less than 30 parking spots. They don't have enough business to afford to maintain their bathrooms or showers.

Billboard advertising is a plus (but all major chains have them, too.) If a NON-chain T/S can afford several billboards, and they are NOT in disrepair, then the place itself is not "on the cheap."

Buy the full size Truckstop Guide, and not JUST the little one.

But, it really DOES come down to "checking them out" for yourself.

Also..... ALWAYS leave room on your logbook / 11 hour clock to drive ON to the next one if necessary. Don't get "stuck" at one because you counted on it to be good, and ran out all your hours to get there.

Oh, and don't forget to ask the opinions of other truckers over your CB. These guys who run the same routes all the time have already DONE the research for you.

And don't believe HALF of what you read on HERE about the mega-chains. Some of them are really quite decent.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.