User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
You're right SilverWulf, I did fail at OTR. I failed to see why anyone would work so much for so little.
Think time management, if you can.

Work smarter, not harder. I rarely log over 60 hours a week, legally by the way, and I take home at least 1200 a week.

Do it right and there is none of this 'log 70 work 100' mythical crap. If you have to work that hard and falsify the logs you are doing something wrong. Too bad you weren't capable of learning how to do that.

For those of us that have more than two brain cells to rub together, we are out here making good money and laughing our asses off at you poor schmucks who have to fight traffic in a city every day and work on a fixed schedule because you aren't capable of working a schedule that varies.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island

I'm glad you said it & not me, for I don't think I will be able to stand up to the next barrage from the happy bunch.

I hope you have the strength to stand up to them.

One thing I know though, if they are so grumpy now that they have it so good, I would not have liked to have encountered them when they under OTR bondage.

By the way, if I were to even consider sleeping in the sleeper berth or surfing the web while waiting 5 hours at a grocery warehouse as work,I can't recall ever working 100 hours in 7 or 8 days doing OTR. But then we all have different definitions for work now don't we.

Again SilverWulf, prepare for the storm.
I am just responding to them with the same attitude they are showing towards OTR, though I don't expect to change anything.

I'm not worried about these LTL/local sycophants at all, they amuse me with their fantasies and delusions.

It is perplexing that someone would consider sitting in the sleeper and surfing the web while getting loaded, as 'work'. Next, they will want to keep a notebook handy and keep track of every time they think about their job, so they can get paid for that too.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 AM
Rookie

Ok, so I'll probably just throw my input here for a minute since this is supposed to be a post to help new drivers. I'm going to school so I find everything that I've read so far to be both educational and ridiculously childish (local drivers).

To each his own in this world and as men we all have the right to choose our own destiny and direction. I too would like to drive local but that may not be an option when the time comes to go to work. If not then I'll make the most of my new OTR job. If I luck out and get a great local job then I will for damn sure not try to knock some other guys for WORKING.

This post reminds me a lot of Soap Operas. I just read the first two pages and the last two pages and it's like watching a Soap on Monday then again on Friday. The story is still the same the locals who claim to have everything do nothing but whine about the OTR guys they don't realize they are actually jealous of. I get laid all the time and I dream about being out on the road without having to deal with all the BS that goes along with being tied down, not to a truck but to the Lady. Of course, I could trade her in for a newer, younger model, but come on their all the same after the break-in period...and don't even get me started on their PERIOD.

So anyway, I like the input that I'm getting from the OTR guys about the dead time, truck stops, waiting for loads, quiet time, no showers, the more I read the more I learn and will be more ready for these things if the time should come.

If a guy is OTR he should try to bring some books or movies, laptop, musical instrument, blow-up doll(s), LOL, whatever it will take to pass the time. Enjoy it because soon you'll be back at home base where life is just the same old BS anyways.

The guy worried about his house. If you aren't cutting it on the road then you probably have to worry about your house when you're home full-time too. They have classes that can help to learn money management and budgeting.

All I know is wherever you work, even great jobs suck from time to time, that's why they call it WORK. :?

I guess I just have one more question before I go. I obviously haven't been OTR yet and I didn't read all of the posts, so I need to ask...what is this Carney Point Hook place? Is that like the gay capital of truck stops or something? :lol: I need to know because if it is I don't drive that route.

Peace out, you over the roaders, keep doing what you're doing.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
You're right SilverWulf, I did fail at OTR. I failed to see why anyone would work so much for so little.
Think time management, if you can.

Work smarter, not harder. I rarely log over 60 hours a week, legally by the way, and I take home at least 1200 a week.

Do it right and there is none of this 'log 70 work 100' mythical crap. If you have to work that hard and falsify the logs you are doing something wrong. Too bad you weren't capable of learning how to do that.

For those of us that have more than two brain cells to rub together, we are out here making good money and laughing our asses off at you poor schmucks who have to fight traffic in a city every day and work on a fixed schedule because you aren't capable of working a schedule that varies.

Not taking any sides on this but there are MANY on both sides; there are those that can work without supervision and those that can't. There are some that need to be told EVERY move to make and there are those that only need to be told "this I what I need to happen".

As a supervisor I have BOTH types that work for me. The latter, I givethem a task ( or several ) and they get it done. They are happy, I'm happy and more important.... MY boss is happy. The former: I give them ONLY one task and then keep a close watch. It takes A LOT of my time and I think it is the cause of my HBP. :lol:

All-in-all.... there are those that NEED/WANT someone to make decissions for them and there are those that only NEED a general idea of what needs to be done and be left alone to get it done.

THERE!!! Did I pi$$ anybody off???? :lol: :lol:
Old 08-22-2008, 05:32 AM
Senior Board Member

I believe Carney Point Hook is the Flying J in Carney Point, New Jersey.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchM
Ok, so I'll probably just throw my input here for a minute since this is supposed to be a post to help new drivers. I'm going to school so I find everything that I've read so far to be both educational and ridiculously childish (local drivers).

To each his own in this world and as men we all have the right to choose our own destiny and direction. I too would like to drive local but that may not be an option when the time comes to go to work. If not then I'll make the most of my new OTR job. If I luck out and get a great local job then I will for damn sure not try to knock some other guys for WORKING.

This post reminds me a lot of Soap Operas. I just read the first two pages and the last two pages and it's like watching a Soap on Monday then again on Friday. The story is still the same the locals who claim to have everything do nothing but whine about the OTR guys they don't realize they are actually jealous of. I get laid all the time and I dream about being out on the road without having to deal with all the BS that goes along with being tied down, not to a truck but to the Lady. Of course, I could trade her in for a newer, younger model, but come on their all the same after the break-in period...and don't even get me started on their PERIOD.

So anyway, I like the input that I'm getting from the OTR guys about the dead time, truck stops, waiting for loads, quiet time, no showers, the more I read the more I learn and will be more ready for these things if the time should come.

If a guy is OTR he should try to bring some books or movies, laptop, musical instrument, blow-up doll(s), LOL, whatever it will take to pass the time. Enjoy it because soon you'll be back at home base where life is just the same old BS anyways.

The guy worried about his house. If you aren't cutting it on the road then you probably have to worry about your house when you're home full-time too. They have classes that can help to learn money management and budgeting.

All I know is wherever you work, even great jobs suck from time to time, that's why they call it WORK. :?

I guess I just have one more question before I go. I obviously haven't been OTR yet and I didn't read all of the posts, so I need to ask...what is this Carney Point Hook place? Is that like the gay capital of truck stops or something? :lol: I need to know because if it is I don't drive that route.

Peace out, you over the roaders, keep doing what you're doing.
There is a Flying J truck stop at Carney's Point ,New Jersey. The question has been asked about the significance of this place, but the people who constantly mention it are yet to respond.

Be careful. The happy bunch can get just as mean with rookies (in terms of driving or number of posts on this board) as they can with OTR drivers.

One word of advice. I see you might know this already, but I don't want other people thinking about going OTR to make the mistake that one happy local driver made when he started OTR. There is something behind the seats called a "SLEEPER". It is from the verb "to sleep". You will actually have to sleep there. So don't expect to be home every night as an OTR driver. As I said before,one present local driver got very disgruntled when he found out he wasn't going to be home every night as an OTR driver . If memory serves me right I think he even abandonded his employer's equipment.

There are good and bad companies. Just do your research, expect a challenging job & do your best.

All the best.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
There is a Flying J truck stop at Carney's Point ,New Jersey. The question has been asked about the significance of this place, but the people who constantly mention it are yet to respond.

Be careful. The happy bunch can get just as mean with rookies (in terms of driving or number of posts on this board) as they can with OTR drivers.

One word of advice. I see you might know this already, but I don't want other people thinking about going OTR to make the mistake that one happy local driver made when he started OTR. There is something behind the seats called a "SLEEPER". It is from the verb "to sleep". You will actually have to sleep there. So don't expect to be home every night as an OTR driver. As I said before,one present local driver got very disgruntled when he found out he wasn't going to be home every night as an OTR driver . If memory serves me right I think he even abandonded his employer's equipment.

There are good and bad companies. Just do your research, expect a challenging job & do your best.

All the best.
Thanks Island,

I appreciate the comments. I see what you mean. I'm here to learn as much as I can so that I can be prepared for whatever comes at me as an individual. Wherever I end up, if I can hang fine, if I can't hang fine, but I just want to be ready to try my best. Wherever people work, whatever industry they're in, people nowadays just seem to have a high percent of negativity. Happy one minute, sad another, pissed another, then finally get paid...time to be happy again. I'm guilty of the mixed bag of emotions too at times.

Yeah, I know what that sleeper is for and I guess the only question about that is, how comfortable are they? or aren't they? I can imagine it must feel like prison after a while. I can hang with it as long as dispatch paroles me often enough to keep the checks coming weekly. As far as I know, when I start OTR, if I have to go that route, I'll be away from home for a few months before I finally get to go home for a day or two before getting released to drive solo. In this day and age with cell phones, laptops, and satellite I think I could be ok.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinocchioZ.W.
Awww. Little baby Mackman....go get your toy Tonka dump truck and play in the dirt some more. You'll feel better than LBJ will come give you a bath and tuck you into bed after he climbs in bed with you.

It just goes to show your stupidity and lack of intelligence by calling me a scab. You say all this nonsense about you great Hoffa Sr is without even knowing that he embelzed millions in teamster pension funds and gave them to the mob and was a convicted felony that did five years in prison. F#$cking grow up kid.
Quote:
Marten-Have fun sleeping in that truck tonight. I'll be sitting back drinking budweiser and sleeping in my own bed. See ya later Mr. Lowlife (referring to MartenDrvrCa, who Pinocchio mistakenly thought was an OTR driver)Laughing
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 pm...........That's right! July 27, 2008, PinocchioZ.W. was spouting the above about OTR drivers.

Go PinocchioZ.W. go!

(For the record, PinocchioZ.W. has gone back and deleted many of his posts that are similar to the one quoted above.) Go back and search regarding his previous crowing about a 'college' education and OTR 'rip off' style posts. See what you come up with fellow posters! Use the key word 'college, etc., and POOF! They're all gone!

Oh, for you doubting Susan's;

Quote:
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:34 pm Post subject:
"Colts- Yep. I've had my CDL for about a year, but I wanted to finish my last year of college. ( It would have been foolish to invest 3 yrs of it then just piss it away").
(Try and find the above post under the username of YoungZ.W. OR PinocchioZ.W.)

__________________________________________________ __________

Sit back and enjoy this doozy;

Quote:
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like companies that dance around the pay per mile question with answers like you could earn this much in a year ,But don't want to show the pay scale that allegedly creates that yearly income, Because it's only like .26 CPM and not going to go up much for years and years ,And .26 cPM at 100k is only 26k not 45k ...And I don't care how eager you are to run freight you're not going to make 45k at .26 cpm as a solo driver as it would require about 185k miles a year

Yeah, your right on that big jeep. After talking to drivers at some companies and asking what their weekley mileage is it doesn't come close to what the recruiters have told me. I looked into a dedicated account for schneider pulling for Wal-mart here in Ohio. The recruiter said I would easily make $35,000 my first year. So, I go over to pumpkindriver.com to get the real deal. They all confirmed that the pay is no where close to what she told me. They start you out a .28 per mile and that account averages 1400-1800 miles per week plus your stop pay. One schneider driver I meet at truck stop that was working on it said he made more money delivering pizzas then driving on that account. It seems as though recruiters in general well say anything anymore just to get a driver in the door. When it comes to finding out about a company the only source I trust is fellow drivers. Well, not all recruiters but most of the recruiters for the large carriers anyway
Schneider National driver on Wal-Mart dedicated account in Wintersville,OH

__________________________________________________ __________

Memo to PinocchioZ.W.:

"Allow me to retort."

"You're on thin facking ice my pedigree chums, and I shall be under it when it breaks. Now fack off." - BrickTop

Why have you gone back and edited out all of your old posts PinocchioZ.W.? You didn't happen to be talking a whole lot of shite that you 'think' that I can't find, do ya? Do ya? Keep barking my pedigree chum!

This has nothing to do with unions or organized labor in any way. You know what I mean.

Keep tiptoeing around while casually trying to hide behind Jed's armor. You see, the great difference here is that Jed has 'big balls'. I might not agree with him, but he tows the line. I respect that! You on the other hand, are pitiful.

My pimp hand is at the ready, PinocchioZ.W.!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude

Just trying keep newbies from getting into trucking and bringing your rates down big guy.

You never see a good business man bragging about his profit!!!!!!! No need for more competition
Island wrote Some questions for you sir

(1) When you first started trucking ,did you think you were contributing to the bringing down of wages?

No, I was unaware of the way trucking treated there employees.

If not,what made you different? If so ,how did your conscience allow you to do it, since you seem so concerned about preserving OTR wages?

(2) Why are you going local,when it will,by your argument, contribute to the bringing down of local drivers' rates? It seems a bit contradictory that you are less concerned about bringing down local rates than you are about OTR pay rates when you clearly have more regard for local driving than OTR driving.

I am in a UNion. Wages are bargained through a Collective agreement.

(3)What advise do you have for people out of high school,trade school,community college,college, people who have been laid off or people who have had their jobs closed down,like you & your paper mill?

Otr is exempt from most labour laws. So be prepared.

If you like your job and they pay is good keep it to your self.

If I extend your argument about new workers in OTR bringing down wages to other professions ,then you might as well discourage them from looking for work,since they would only be bringing down pay in those other jobs. Or does your kind concern apply only to OTR,big guy?

[b]Any jobs that are unskilled and are not unionized.

I always encourage people to get in to careers other than mine.

If you just opened a laundry mat, would you be encouraging you neighbors to open one too?

Before I left OTR , i asked my boss for a raise. He said why should I give you a raise when i can easily replace you. He noted with gps and auto trans and great recruiting techniques no much raises are coming for trucking industry[/b]

(4)Have you ever considered a career in politics,televangelism or comedy?
I would make a alot more money than in trucking...right Bill Graham
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
It is perplexing that someone would consider sitting in the sleeper and surfing the web while getting loaded
That SilverWulf, is something that you'll have to take up with golfhobo. :P