User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

[quote="Island"][quote="Evinrude"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude

Just trying keep newbies from getting into trucking and bringing your rates down big guy.

You never see a good business man bragging about his profit!!!!!!! No need for more competition
Island wrote Some questions for you sir

(1) When you first started trucking ,did you think you were contributing to the bringing down of wages?

No, I was unaware of the way trucking treated there employees.

As usual you answer a question that was not asked.I'm not concerned with whether or not you knew how drivers were treated. What I want to know is what makes you so special that you could had a right to go into a profession as a newbie when it would help to bring down wages when apparently you have a problem with other people doing the same? I hope the question is clearer. I can't make it any more clearer than that

[b]Now that I got out of the trucking industry all together. I Must say I was totally wrong. I fully encourage newbies in to the industry, its a great job, you Can make up to $100,000,00 in your first year. In fact be a trainer, a recruiter, bring immigrants and illegals to help bring the shipping rates down and make my groceries cheaper.

Thanks Island for showing me the light. Hey have you ever thought about being a trainer?

I can't wait for the Mexican supper highway to open in couple of years once pilot project is finished...They need jobs too.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Silver-dude[/b]]
To answer snow-dudes question:
Not quite sure. Is this belittling, bashing, personal attack or just your way of being friendly? I'll assume its not the latter as you've already stated non OTR drivers are schmucks. I notice you dont post your pay plan either. To clear 1200 you'd have to gross at least 1600. Thats alot of miles at roughly 40-42 cpm, which is avg for typical OTR. But if thats what you're making thats a great job. See thats sharing information that others come here to find out. Thats what most of us are trying to do here. OTR guys must be interested in local too because they keep reading the threads. But you OTR guys think someone is putting you down. I'll admit a couple posters are guilty of personal attacks, on both sides of the fence, I'm not one of them.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 PM

[quote="Evinrude"][quote="Island"]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just trying keep newbies from getting into trucking and bringing your rates down big guy.

You never see a good business man bragging about his profit!!!!!!! No need for more competition
Island wrote Some questions for you sir

(1) When you first started trucking ,did you think you were contributing to the bringing down of wages?

No, I was unaware of the way trucking treated there employees.

As usual you answer a question that was not asked.I'm not concerned with whether or not you knew how drivers were treated. What I want to know is what makes you so special that you could had a right to go into a profession as a newbie when it would help to bring down wages when apparently you have a problem with other people doing the same? I hope the question is clearer. I can't make it any more clearer than that

[b]Now that I got out of the trucking industry all together. I Must say I was totally wrong. I fully encourage newbies in to the industry, its a great job, you Can make up to $100,000,00 in your first year. In fact be a trainer, a recruiter, bring immigrants and illegals to help bring the shipping rates down and make my groceries cheaper.

Thanks Island for showing me the light. Hey have you ever thought about being a trainer?

I can't wait for the Mexican supper highway to open in couple of years once pilot project is finished...They need jobs too.
And the question remains unanswered. You obviously had & still have the right to go into someone elses profession,the effect of which,according to your reasoning, will lead to reduction in wages, but then no body else after you should be able to enter that profession.

I wasn't asking a bout wages & workers . I was just trying to find out what makes you thing you are some special breed among men. I'm not surprised though that you missed the point.

Good thing for you you had a freind to make you an offer you couldn't refuse with this new job. By your argument he shot himself in the foot by telling you about the job. Not too smart of him was it? I assume he made you an offer for a job with his company, since you said "we "would be doing work that was not that competitive . You didn't even apply for the job yourself you said.

You said it took you 2 years to finally get out of OTR in the first post. I find it interesting that your escape from the bull$hit (your word) of OTR was due to someone elses effort. But I'm not surprised, Because I think you expected your employer to pay YOU for looking for a better job and for even sending out applications & because you weren't about to get paid for that , you refused to do it. Good thing for you you had ,by your reckoning, a not too smart freind, who told you about an opening at his job.If not you would still be complaining. You might even be complaining about not getting paid to complain.

I hope your freind's employer paid him for his recruiting efforts. If not, it means he works for a company where you will not be compensated for doing everything , and my advice to you would be to run from that job.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Default Re: Finally out of OTR Trucking

Quote:
It took 2 years, but i finally quit OTR Trucking.
Thing I ain't going to miss are:
1. unloaded and reloading for 5 hours a day for FREE.
2. Fueling for Free.
3. Getting a reload a few miles away from drop, but my pick up time my be a 8 hour later, and of course my time was was paid a rate 8 hours x Zero.
4.D.O.T Gonna miss those guys. Making me sit there for a level 1 inspection. Of course this was done at no pay, and I might even pick up a fine for a minor detail.
5.Construction Zones.
6. Truck Stops
7. Crossing the border.
8. The Bull$hit

To the rest of you that do this for a living, I have respect for you and a little pitty.
Life is short, but not short enough when your living out of a Semi Truck.
I would have expected you to have gotten out after 2 days , 2weeks maybe , but 2 years ?

Good for you you had somebody to make the effort for you, since you couldn't do it for yourself,seeing that you would not have been paid for trying to improve your own situation yourself.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:57 PM

[quote="Evinrude"]
Quote:
Quote:

Before I left OTR , i asked my boss for a raise. He said why should I give you a raise when i can easily replace you. He noted with gps and auto trans and great recruiting techniques no much raises are coming for trucking industry

(
[/b]
You should have asked for a faster truck instead.You consider going faster as a pay raise.

If you were paid $7 per mile YOU would still complain, since that would be mileage pay & you would still expect to be paid for doing nothing.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:04 PM

[quote="Evinrude"][quote="Island"][quote="Evinrude"]
Quote:
Quote:

Now that I got out of the trucking industry all together. I Must say I was totally wrong. I fully encourage newbies in to the industry, its a great job, you Can make up to $100,000,00 in your first year. In fact be a trainer, a recruiter, bring immigrants and illegals to help bring the shipping rates down and make my groceries cheaper.

So are you still going to drive a truck or not, for on page 11 of this thread,you said at your new job you would be able to take the straight truck home.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
[

Don't get me wrong. I like otr trucking but the pay vrs hours in a truck don't add up to much more the min wage.
I was in the company truck for 124 hours a week Sunday until Thursday or Friday.

What exactly is it that you did like about OTR trucking? After reading your original post I find it hard to believe that you would have anything good to say about it.

124 hours a week Sunday until Thursday or Friday is about 24 hours per day.So you expect to be paid for every single hour in the truck or away from home,even for time in the sleeper berth. When you just started out did you honestly beleive that you would be so compensated? Exactly when in your OTR career did you finally discovered that your pay would be based on miles driven & not for how long you were in the truck or away from home?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:

But i am grateful that people do otr so cheap it gives me more buying power.
Are you the driver who said he wouldn't drive for JB Hunt, But he would own company stocks?

You are grateful for people who do OTR so cheap,because it gives you more buying power, while at the same time you claim that you are discouraging newbies from entering OTR trucking,because you don't want them pushing down OTR pay rates.

Think of how much more stronger your purchasing power would be if you DID encourage people to get into OTR trucking. But I guess you wont be paid to do that so you wont do it.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:30 PM

[quote="Evinrude"]BTW I don't have any beef about OTR drivers. I have a beef about OTR companies treating drivers.
quote]

Are you sure?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Silver-dude[/b]]
To answer snow-dudes question:
Not quite sure. Is this belittling, bashing, personal attack or just your way of being friendly? I'll assume its not the latter as you've already stated non OTR drivers are schmucks. I notice you dont post your pay plan either. To clear 1200 you'd have to gross at least 1600. Thats alot of miles at roughly 40-42 cpm, which is avg for typical OTR. But if thats what you're making thats a great job. See thats sharing information that others come here to find out. Thats what most of us are trying to do here. OTR guys must be interested in local too because they keep reading the threads. But you OTR guys think someone is putting you down. I'll admit a couple posters are guilty of personal attacks, on both sides of the fence, I'm not one of them.
You assume wrong, since it was an attempt at being friendly. The non OTR schmucks are the ones who are on here belittling and bashing the OTR guys wholesale, not taking into consideration who they work for or how long they've been driving, as well as a whole lot of other factors. I haven't seen that from you, for which I say thanks.

We OTR guys more than just think someone is putting us down. There are countless attacks here in this thread alone by various guys, all we are doing is saying 'enough' and fighting back.