Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7

I dont take joy in bashing OTR. If a guy likes it then thats great. But I do think people need to be told the truth before hand. And I think new drivers and also current drivers would like to know about other options.

If someone wants to learn the truth about otr and driving all they need do is a search. We have written much about the lifestyle and what to expect. We have discussed the good and bad. And there is more to this job than sitting. There are other much more important issues which we must deal. The constant bashing of otr has really gotten very old. If some of you don't like otr then no one is forcing you to do it. Either you didn't like it or could not deal with the requirements of the job. In any case, there are many who enjoy otr driving. You talk about not being paid for all the extra work you do. Well, you are paid to drive. I would expect that most carriers pay drivers for the miles they drive. If you sit you may not be paid. Well, sitting is not what you hired on to do. This is not a perfect job, but it is a way for many to earn an above average income while doing something that is vital to this nations economy. You can enter this profession with minimal training and little education. There are few jobs where you can spend a few weeks training and go out and earn $30-35M your first year. That is a salary comparable to someone fresh out of college after spending 4 years and several times the money. In a couple of years a driver can earn over $40M which is comparable to that of a middle manager with a BS degree or higher. There are a few segments of this industry where a driver can earn over $120M/year as a company driver. These salaries are legitimate and attainable by a driver who does little more than learn his profession, do a good job, and keep his MVR clean. There are a lot of college graduates who will never earn over $100M/year. This is the reality of driving otr. There may be times where you will sit for a few hours. SO WHAT?! The middle manager will likely do paperwork or some waiting without additional compensation. BIG DEAL!! He and those who drive otr still earn a very good living. Compare that to a factory job or fast food. These salaries have minimum responsibilities other than to pick up a load of freight and safely get it from point 'A' to point 'B'. Oh yea, he will also need to do a little paperwork. He is responsible for keeping accurate logs and making sure his truck is in good repair. He doesn't have to work on it, but it is his responsibility to make sure that if something is broken that it gets fixed. He doesn't even have to pay for the repair. All he has to do is make a phone call or type a few words in a qualcomm. To those who may be new to this board, a qualcomm is a way most of the larger carriers communicate with their drivers. It is like having a computer keyboard in the truck.

We all have things that we don't like about our jobs. Weigh the pros and cons and if you can't deal or accept the cons, then go find another job. You don't need to belittle those who desire to drive a truck for a living. All you need do is quit your driving job and find something else you can do that you will enjoy. Life is too short to spend at least 1/3 of you life at a job you don't enjoy.

There are a number of well educated people who have left other professions where they are established to pursue a career in trucking. While not all will stay in this business, I know of several who have decided to spend the rest of their working lives in this business driving otr. These are people who have led accomplished lives in well respected professions. Most could go back to their former lives and do quite well. They could probably earn more than in this business. They CHOOSE to drive otr. While this business has a high turnover rate, it is less than 1/2 the average turnover of fast food. I use fast food since it was referenced to being about the same pay scale as an otr driver. Most businesses have a high turnover these days. People just seem to move around more than they did 20 or 30 years ago. None of you who have been bashing otr have been in this business long enough to really understand what this industry is really all about. It takes longer than a year or two to get an understanding of this or any other business. You have much yet to learn.[/img]
Old 08-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Board Regular

What' up y'all? I sure have missed these debates. OTR is not bad, but it is not for everybody. LTL I assume is not bad, but it is not for everybody. But does that make one worse than the other? I do not think so. What is OTR? Is it some one that sleeps in their truck? well that makes me OTR...but i get 20 hours off at home every other day and 2 days off a week, hmm. but if i am otr than so are some overnight, yellow, and abf, etc. driver..but they ge to sleep in hotels. my main question is why does mackman and lBJ think they are better for what they do? I hate OTR driving...that is irregular route driving. the sittin gettin docks getting loaded sucks as do some other things..but some people like it. maybe some guys get on there highhorse a little much and need to get off it.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Well put GMAN.... :wink: and you too jd, and welcome to the board.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Board Regular

thanks for the welcome drew.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Glad you could join us. Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:06 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I talk about my job to share information. Thats why we're all here. I dont take joy in bashing OTR. If a guy likes it then thats great. But I do think people need to be told the truth before hand. And I think new drivers and also current drivers would like to know about other options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The constant bashing of otr has really gotten very old.
The need to label any comment/opinion/thought that is not favorable to the OTR segment of this industry as 'bashing' by 'whiners' has also really gotten very old, GMAN.

I have a great deal of respect for the reverence that you hold for the OTR segment of this industry, whether you realize that or not.

Just because these posts/posters are not to your liking, should not grant license to dispel them as "bashing," or as "whiners." At least not from a professional like yourself, with so many years of experience in the industry.

Difference of opinion does not automatically constitute bashing, GMAN. Let's call it healthy debate. :wink:
Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:

I dont take joy in bashing OTR. If a guy likes it then thats great. But I do think people need to be told the truth before hand. And I think new drivers and also current drivers would like to know about other options.

If someone wants to learn the truth about otr and driving all they need do is a search. We have written much about the lifestyle and what to expect. We have discussed the good and bad. And there is more to this job than sitting. There are other much more important issues which we must deal. The constant bashing of otr has really gotten very old. If some of you don't like otr then no one is forcing you to do it. Either you didn't like it or could not deal with the requirements of the job. In any case, there are many who enjoy otr driving. You talk about not being paid for all the extra work you do. Well, you are paid to drive. I would expect that most carriers pay drivers for the miles they drive. If you sit you may not be paid. Well, sitting is not what you hired on to do. This is not a perfect job, but it is a way for many to earn an above average income while doing something that is vital to this nations economy. You can enter this profession with minimal training and little education. There are few jobs where you can spend a few weeks training and go out and earn $30-35M your first year. That is a salary comparable to someone fresh out of college after spending 4 years and several times the money. In a couple of years a driver can earn over $40M which is comparable to that of a middle manager with a BS degree or higher. There are a few segments of this industry where a driver can earn over $120M/year as a company driver. These salaries are legitimate and attainable by a driver who does little more than learn his profession, do a good job, and keep his MVR clean. There are a lot of college graduates who will never earn over $100M/year. This is the reality of driving otr. There may be times where you will sit for a few hours. SO WHAT?! The middle manager will likely do paperwork or some waiting without additional compensation. BIG DEAL!! He and those who drive otr still earn a very good living. Compare that to a factory job or fast food. These salaries have minimum responsibilities other than to pick up a load of freight and safely get it from point 'A' to point 'B'. Oh yea, he will also need to do a little paperwork. He is responsible for keeping accurate logs and making sure his truck is in good repair. He doesn't have to work on it, but it is his responsibility to make sure that if something is broken that it gets fixed. He doesn't even have to pay for the repair. All he has to do is make a phone call or type a few words in a qualcomm. To those who may be new to this board, a qualcomm is a way most of the larger carriers communicate with their drivers. It is like having a computer keyboard in the truck.

We all have things that we don't like about our jobs. Weigh the pros and cons and if you can't deal or accept the cons, then go find another job. You don't need to belittle those who desire to drive a truck for a living. All you need do is quit your driving job and find something else you can do that you will enjoy. Life is too short to spend at least 1/3 of you life at a job you don't enjoy.

There are a number of well educated people who have left other professions where they are established to pursue a career in trucking. While not all will stay in this business, I know of several who have decided to spend the rest of their working lives in this business driving otr. These are people who have led accomplished lives in well respected professions. Most could go back to their former lives and do quite well. They could probably earn more than in this business. They CHOOSE to drive otr. While this business has a high turnover rate, it is less than 1/2 the average turnover of fast food. I use fast food since it was referenced to being about the same pay scale as an otr driver. Most businesses have a high turnover these days. People just seem to move around more than they did 20 or 30 years ago. None of you who have been bashing otr have been in this business long enough to really understand what this industry is really all about. It takes longer than a year or two to get an understanding of this or any other business. You have much yet to learn.[/img]
I dont think anyone here disputes that you have done well for yourself. And you like what you do. Life is good. But you cant dispute that you are the exception to the rule. If it is so good then why is turnover so high. Why are there recruiters. Why are the truckstop magazine racks filled with books full of jobs. Could it be the industry abuses drivers. No need to answer, its been rehashed enough. Just sayin, people need to know the truth. Sorry if your feelings get hurt.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Dont you mean "welcome back to the board"?

What's up Jed! :lol:
Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have a lot of respect for all aspects of this industry. I also see nothing wrong with having a good debate. However, when a few come on multiple threads spouting the same rhetoric and belittling one segment of this industry, then it does come across as bashing. You have your opinion and decided that otr wasn't for you. That doesn't mean that you need to throw stones at those of us who do enjoy this business and have earned a very good living from it. Otr drivers are among the highest paying professions in this country. It takes a special breed of people to do this day in and day out. No one will stay in this segment unless they enjoy it, regardless of the pay. You have a right to your opinion. You have expressed it over and over again. No one has belittled local drivers. Each has their place. We can discuss issues without the constant bashing and belittling of those who have decided to do this for a living. There are other issues to discuss.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Dont you mean "welcome back to the board"?
If you say so.... :? ...I dont know "jd" from the next one joining the board. I dont recall the user name.

What's up Jed! :lol: