User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That's right unkut. Dirt was never a health problem but peanuts these days sure are. I saw a kid who basically had to live in a bubble because he could not even smell them without breaking into an allergic reaction. Heck, I used to play in dirt all day as a kid in the 80's and hardly ever thought about washing my hands when I went inside to get a snack. The only time I washed my hands was before dinner only because dad made us.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

I drink four, sometimes five cans of Sam's cola or Coke a day. Guess I need to cut it back. 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
GH...the study wasn't government in origin. It was a university/medical study.

Most of them are government funded, and if not.... I don't trust "university" studies EITHER! Five years down the road.... most of them change their minds!

I see your points regarding how you live, and while some can, others can't.

I appreciate BOTH points! And therefore, I appreciate YOUR warning to those on this board. But, my opinions stand.

I was just pointing out that there are studies out there pointing to things that are not right. What one does with the information is up to them.

And there are studies that reverse "earlier" studies! It's an endless game and I'm tired of it! And I'm tired of paying taxes to support these studies that are NOT conclusive... and are often overturned! If one didn't "buy into" the FIRST study.... they wouldn't need to know about the second one! You HAVE heard that 80% of all "bottled water" is straight out of the tap in whatever city it is bottled in.... right?

In my case, I do have to watch it.... I'm not particularly overweight, especially considering that I quit eating things that I shouldn't. I had gotten into a very sedentary lifestyle....long ago. Being a road salesman is not a real physically taxing job...and driving a truck isn't either.

Granted, that I have always been in an "active" posture in business, until I started driving a truck. But, I don't believe that my "metabolism" is that much higher than the normal male! I certainly have NEVER done "hard work." After two years of driving a truck AND sitting in front of this computer.... I am at the SAME weight, and have LOWER B/P! I am not MUCH of a "nutritionist," but I DO believe that eating a well cooked steak is like eating PURE protein! It will give you energy, and will NOT add fat!

I just think some people need to be aware of some of the problems with going beyond "moderation" in anything.

And I believe I said the SAME thing! I just didn't "endorse" some fruity flavored drink from Walmart! :lol:

Babies are not born "fat." But there ARE genes from their parents that can affect their metabolism and their future weight problems. I KNOW that. Their parents SHOULD address this while they are YOUNG. If they don't, it is up to the person.

They SHOULD investigate and learn the facts about metabolism and how their bodies process certain foods. And they need to learn not to eat so much! But..... I will NEVER sign on to the idea of taking substitutes for REAL food.... or drugs to counter their dietary mistakes!

I applaud your post warning of diabetes coming from SUBSTITUTE sweeteners! My point was to NOT trust ANYONE who tells you that a product (that they will make millions from) is going to be BETTER for you than what GOD put on this Earth, and the RESPONSIBLE use of it!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
That's right unkut. Dirt was never a health problem but peanuts these days sure are. I saw a kid who basically had to live in a bubble because he could not even smell them without breaking into an allergic reaction. Heck, I used to play in dirt all day as a kid in the 80's and hardly ever thought about washing my hands when I went inside to get a snack. The only time I washed my hands was before dinner only because dad made us.
You were a kid in the 80's??? You're STILL a kid!

They STILL had dirt lots around you in the 80's?? I'm surprised!

I was a kid in the 50/60's..... and playing in dirt lots was EXPECTED!

No one I KNOW of contracted any illness, or died from it! There is a major "sea change" happening with the new generation. Something in the WATER, or in the FOOD! Todays' kids are not only WUSSES.... they are somehow vulnerable to the WORST illnesses ever invented by BIG BUSINESS! :roll:

Wait a minute.... maybe God's good DIRT was a cure-all for what ails ya! It is the fact that recent generations spend all their time playing XBox or something, instead of "tackle football" that has made them all WUSSES!!

We're all "joking" about this.... but I can't help but believe that there is a RELATIONSHIP between the lack of "interaction" with the environment.... and the "intolerance" of it! It's the IMMUNE SYSTEM people! You get Immune to something by facing and beating it! When you crawl inside your homes and play video games.... you LOSE that immunity!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Board Regular

We're all "joking" about this.... but I can't help but believe that there is a RELATIONSHIP between the lack of "interaction" with the environment.... and the "intolerance" of it! It's the IMMUNE SYSTEM people! You get Immune to something by facing and beating it! When you crawl inside your homes and play video games.... you LOSE that immunity!

Gh, I have been preaching this for years. Kids need to get down and dirty. Mud pies ( yep we tried a bite ) creek water ( drank plenty) . Crappy ole barns , forts in the woods , eating apples, pears, grapes without ever thinking of washin em. Now kids are either overweight or have every allergy known to man. D**M the Xbox!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 PM

My grandfather was not an educated man, but his best advice to me was that plain few things can not be solved by merely getting off your a$$.

This is what scares me the most about driving. Part of avoiding diabetes is regular exercise. When you're stuck behind the wheel all day, when and how do you get off your duff?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

Unless you run illegal you will have at least 10 hours a day. Spend 30 minutes with an elevated heart rate and you will be fine.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Board Regular

GH Wrote: My grandfather ate saltcured ham every day of his life,

I don't think it was pumped full of steroids like the meat we eat today. Plus alot of food is tainted. Look at the recent huge recall of ground beef, mad cow disease and ecoli infected produce for example.

My Grandparents ate the same things you mentioned and lived into their late 80's and early 90's as well.

Then again our Grandparents worked for a living, did most everything by hand and didn't eat alot of processed foods high in salt, added sugar and carbs. Good advice to push back from the table and exercise.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Rookie

Diabetes is not the only thing that is bad from all the sugar, If you don't brush and floss your teeth after you eat all that sugar your teeth will literally start rotting from all the sugar in your mouth.

I have hauled loads to Coca Cola and one on the ingredients in soft drinks is phosphoric and citric acid.

That stuff is so potent the trailer is a placarded Haz-Mat load.

Now there's some food for thought.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
When you're stuck behind the wheel all day, when and how do you get off your duff?

Quote:
Unless you run illegal you will have at least 10 hours a day. Spend 30 minutes with an elevated heart rate and you will be fine.
Not only that you can do little things like park in the rear of the truck stop so you have a bit of a walk to the building. Park at the far ends of the rest area, etc.

You can sometimes choose to unload your own freight. The pay to do it may suck, but if you are serious about getting some exercise that is one way to do it.

You can also do some exercises in the sleeper of your truck.

The point is that every little bit helps.