User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
He was making standard base pay for a rookie with 1-2 months experience.
I started out about the same, but advanced very quickly. I made 38k my first year...but I drove hard and proved myself to be a top hand right out of the gate.

Thing is...I had a much different attitude also. I was grinning from ear to ear my first year out. It was a great feeling. I still enjoy what I do. I make over 48-50k now...and have more time off.
How long until you're considered experienced and can make this amount? A couple or three years?? My husband is a loner type of guy and I think being by himself will suit him fine. We're just trying to figure out how many years of lower pay to get used to.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I don't drive for the large national carriers. I work for a small Northern Michigan company. The jobs can all vary, but the starting pay scale is generally around $32-38k beginning. How you advance is based upon so many things. Larger national companies...you will advance a tad slower in weekly pay, but you do have great benefits with them.

Check our "Company Listings" in that orange bar top of the page. See it? Next to the Blue KW W-900L and the CAD logo? You will find lots of info on what Companies offer.

I also suggest you click on our HOME at the very top tool bar. You will be directed to a page where you can view Trucking news, and tons of great info. I go there lots myself.

There is an old saying..."If you get a CDL...you will always have work."

In my area...we have Farmers who will work their Farms and drive in the winter. You being in the Northeast...NH? ME? OTR trucking might be a good thing for you. Good luck...ask lots of questions.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Default Re: Awarning to newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptp88
500-650 a week to live in a truck without your family and get 2 days off?
I don't even make that in GROSS pay in two weeks bustin' hump for the government. and honestly I can't wait to make that kind of money.

But for me, getting into the truck driving industry isn't about the money. It's about the freedom and independence and good lawd gimme that open highway. I hope to get out there soon, as a SOLO OTR driver. I'm not worried about the lonliness myself... gosh I can't wait to get away from my crazy hillbilly family! haha

I do hate to hear that things didn't work out for you. And good luck in whatever life gives you.

I truly hope that others like myself who are about to take a blind leap in to this career field don't read this thread and think "WTF am I thinking?". But instead keep looking forward with determination and optimism and give it the best they can.

Drive on brothers and sisters... Drive on.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
In the meantime, do you mind if I ask where you work to get that many days off a week?
I worked as a supervisor at a state prison in Ga. 6 days on 3 days of, home every night. take time off when ever I wanted. Last year I missed the hole month of Jan. and never missed a check. I feel for you guys. I dont think 50 or even 100k a year is worth all you miss at home. Kids are only young once and life doesnt stop for you while you drive. I would rather work for less and spend time with my family. I learned on thing in my 2 months, I love everything about my wife,kids, dogs and home. If you feel other wise and that doesn't bother you then keep on truckin. And by the way I was in the military 6 years in the 80's and spent 18 months in Suwon R.O.K. all by mysylf. I am not putting anyone down I'm just warning any newbie who has a family and is thinking about this JOB. I'm going to the beach this weekend and spend time with my family, keep that truck stop, restarea or off ramp clean and enjoy>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Board Icon

HEY...then you might know inmate! :lol: :?: :?:
Old 05-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
Quote:
paycheck is 490.00. You can pick up cans or work at a supermarket and make that much. Think about it long and hard, it sucks!!!!
Picking Up cans and make 490.00?

At the average price of 50 cents a pound you'll have to pick up 980 pounds of Cans a week. 21 cans to make a Pound. So you'll have to pick up 20,580 cans to make $490.00. And saying 50 cents a pound is being over priced. Most will be less. I have seen it as low as 25 cents per pound. So at the worst you need to pick up 41,160 cans. crush them, and bag em after you walk the entire country side of your county and all the counties around you to get 1/4 of that many.. Sorry I tried that. Did not work out. I made more Trucking than picking up cans. Picking up cans I averaged $5.00 a day. Spent more on gas than I made, not to mention almost getting ran over.

Trucking is not for everyone is true, but you should have known this before you started.
I can actually make $500 on 10,000 cans.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Board Icon

You'd make twice that here in Michigan. We have a $0.10 rebate per can.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

You gotta do your homework before jumping in. Flatbeds will pay you more and get you home every weekend. $490 is newbie pay for OTR dry van. There's more money down the road but you have to have a plan. I made more than that after two days this week and I go home every day.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

No matter how you do your research and prepare for the Solo OTR life you will not KNOW until you do it. No matter how may times wannabe's ask the question of what its like, no matter how many times they get told what its like - it means absolutely nothing until that wannabe experiences it for themselves.

How can this be stopped? You can't.

Or can we?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
Quote:
paycheck is 490.00. You can pick up cans or work at a supermarket and make that much. Think about it long and hard, it sucks!!!!
Picking Up cans and make 490.00?

At the average price of 50 cents a pound you'll have to pick up 980 pounds of Cans a week. 21 cans to make a Pound. So you'll have to pick up 20,580 cans to make $490.00. And saying 50 cents a pound is being over priced. Most will be less. I have seen it as low as 25 cents per pound. So at the worst you need to pick up 41,160 cans. crush them, and bag em after you walk the entire country side of your county and all the counties around you to get 1/4 of that many.. Sorry I tried that. Did not work out. I made more Trucking than picking up cans. Picking up cans I averaged $5.00 a day. Spent more on gas than I made, not to mention almost getting ran over.

Trucking is not for everyone is true, but you should have known this before you started.
I can actually make $500 on 10,000 cans.
Well not every State has the 0.10 per can rebate deal like the Northern States. But where he from, it's about 50 cents per pound in Georgia.