User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Awarning to newbies

I quit a 40,000 dollar a year job to work at schneider. Thankfully I can go back to my old job and I am on the 1st of next month. Before you take this job you had better make sure you like "you" and I mean alot. You will get alot of time to be with you so make sure. The pay sucks, 500-650 a week to live in a truck without your family and get 2 days off? My old and now new job is 6 days on 3 days off. I thought I wouldn't mind all this. It took me about a year to decide to try it and during training and t.e. it was okay but on your own is different. It was the most depressing, boring and lonley job I have ever had. Although I only drove 2 months more or less it sucked, I mean SUCKED. I told my t.o.m. when I quit schneider can not pay me enough to drive again. If you have a family find something else that will allow you to spend time with them and not in some stinking truck stop and missing life at home. I feel sorry for truck drivers that feel like this is all they got and are scared to quit. I know some people like it and I feel sorry for you. Life only happens once, kids are only young once and this lifestyle will cause you to miss it all, 2 days off in 2 weeks work cycle, what the f#$# is that? I know I knew that when I started but my warning is wait until you are alone, missing your family and lost, then your paycheck is 490.00. You can pick up cans or work at a supermarket and make that much. Think about it long and hard, it sucks!!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Awarning to newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptp88
I quit a 40,000 dollar a year job to work at schneider. Thankfully I can go back to my old job and I am on the 1st of next month. Before you take this job you had better make sure you like "you" and I mean alot. You will get alot of time to be with you so make sure. The pay sucks, 500-650 a week to live in a truck without your family and get 2 days off? My old and now new job is 6 days on 3 days off. I thought I wouldn't mind all this. It took me about a year to decide to try it and during training and t.e. it was okay but on your own is different. It was the most depressing, boring and lonley job I have ever had. Although I only drove 2 months more or less it sucked, I mean SUCKED. I told my t.o.m. when I quit schneider can not pay me enough to drive again. If you have a family find something else that will allow you to spend time with them and not in some stinking truck stop and missing life at home. I feel sorry for truck drivers that feel like this is all they got and are scared to quit. I know some people like it and I feel sorry for you. Life only happens once, kids are only young once and this lifestyle will cause you to miss it all, 2 days off in 2 weeks work cycle, what the f#$# is that? I know I knew that when I started but my warning is wait until you are alone, missing your family and lost, then your paycheck is 490.00. You can pick up cans or work at a supermarket and make that much. Think about it long and hard, it sucks!!!!
well it has been said a million times over...."not everyone is cut out for the life style".......good luck and the best of success to you in your new/old job.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Do you want some cheese with that whine???
Old 05-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Rookie

I knew some people would be a smart ass but think about all you are missing in life and tell me that the amount of money you make is worth that, it only happens once then you die.. you can stick your cheese and whine in you sad miserable a##
Old 05-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The lament of the "Over-worked and Under-paid."

I hear a hit Country Song wellin' up deep inside my soul !

OOOooooh itsa HARD......

yeah Baby...itsa Haaaarda....

ooooh yeah darlin' itsa soooooooooo H-A-R-D

(whispered in a deep sexy voice)
yes Darlin'...you know Daddy's thinkin' about you

OHHHH ITSA H_A-A-A-A-R-D .................Road Hoooooooome
Old 05-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

:roll: BOOO HOOOO!! :roll:
Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 AM
Rookie

it is what you make it. you can also look at it as a living to keep food on the table for your kids and medical for your family. also a roof over there heads. also 2 months does not make you a trucker at all your whiskers are not even wet. there are all kinds of opportunity for a driver to make a good living once you have a few years under your belt. bottom line is dont sell a trucking job short just because you cant handle it.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Board Icon

How did I know that the phrases "It's a lifestyle" and "It's what you make of it" would appear in this thread? :roll:

Trucking is neither a lifestyle, nor what you make of it. It is a job, nothing more. And in many cases, a crappy paying job at that. It isn't glamour, it isn't an adventure. It is a job.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Board Regular

Certainly there is a fair bit of pathology in this industry- loners, sociopaths and worse. That being said, there are many of us who have been on both sides of the fence and truly enjoy our jobs.

I was in retail and customer service for years at the Big Orange Home Improvement Box. Now I am alone with my thoughts in an air-conditioned office with a nice ergonomic seat. I have satellite radio, a fridge, company-provided unlimited cell phone and a wireless laptop.

I used to deal with literally hundreds of people every day. Many were nice. Many were idiots. Now I deal with a few people a day at most. I might not even talk to my dispatcher every day.

I used to watch the clock crawl, under pressure to do 18 things at once with limited resources and ridiculous paperwork. Now, I live and die by the clock, thanks to the HOS regulations and associated paperwork. Generally, however, I drive where I need to be legally and with no pressure. I load up (sometimes by hand, sometimes bumping the dock) and drive home.

I like being by myself.

$490.00 a paycheck? One week or two? Doesn't matter. Hell man, you made that choice. I made a different one. I can clear $490 in two days as a company hack.

Enjoy your new/old job. I wish you the best. Sorry it didn't work out.

-p.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Do you want some cheese with that whine???
Ditto-You didn't know going in that OTR meant OVER THE ROAD

Good thing he didn't join the Military