User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Truckersbish wrote:

Quote:
Alright my mom for one...she was raised around her uncle who smoked more than a coal train, yet she herself NEVER smoked....also there is no family history of asthma she found out in her 30's she has asthma and from what?! ...yes second hand smoke....her lungs were burned badly after yrs and yrs of being forced to breath in smoke. She suffers from it to this day and she is in her late 50's.
1) I said CANCER

2) Little children who are never exposed to smoke get Asthma.

3) Anyone who gets ANYTHING that late in life, has been subjected to MANY possible causes of whatever condition they get.

4) I'm not aware that one of the symptoms of asthma is a "burnt lung."

5) I sincerely send my sympathies to your Mom.

6) Did she work? If so where, and around what?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Board Regular

for once i have to agree with golf. people complain to much. they are getting soft. years ago you. look at the generations past. people now a days cant hold a candle to what your granparents went through or your parents. as for cancer etc you what it is. its nature. only the strong survive mess with that and sooner or later it gonna catch up. in nature the sick and the weak dont reproduce. 30 years ago everyone smoked and it was the egg that was going to kill us all. now whats next.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
for once i have to agree with golf. people complain to much. they are getting soft. years ago you. look at the generations past. people now a days cant hold a candle to what your granparents went through or your parents. as for cancer etc you what it is. its nature. only the strong survive mess with that and sooner or later it gonna catch up. in nature the sick and the weak dont reproduce. 30 years ago everyone smoked and it was the egg that was going to kill us all. now whats next.
Hmmm - well, after they get rid of all tobacco (cigs, snuff, chewing tobacco) that still leaves:

coffee
soft drinks
meat
any internal combustion engine
beans
plastic
oil
anything used to clean anything
eggs
fiberglass
obesity
being outdoors in the sun
plastic surgery
non-organic vegatables
tv, radio, cell phones (anything that creates an electro-magnetic wave)

ya - all of these things are either annoying, causes annoying smells, and in at least 1 instance someone around them had cancer, so something in the list above had to cause it.

I do have a serious question, however...

In one of these smoking vs non-smoking topics, someone posted a message about someone who died of ovarian cancer from smoking.

Ummm - did she not know where to place the cigarette?

People can get cancer from just about anything. I hate to tell you this, but not a single person on here is *NOT* going to die. You will die of something. It's inevitable. And saying that smoking will kill you, ya, there's a chance it will. There's also the chance that it won't. My grandfather passed away last year. He was 95 years old, smoked from the time he was 12 years old and drank every day of his life. Know what he died of? He fell down the stairs in his house. Oh, wait, maybe he was going down after a pack of cigs, so smoking really did kill him. I didn't think of that.

I also know people who do not smoke, never have smoked, do not work around places with people who smoke and have asthma. I know people who have smoked basically forever and don't have asthma.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Rookie

Here's the deal, lets say charge all U can and let the OO's seperate them out??????
Sorry, but this is an issue that only yhe true pro can have an issue on>>>>>
Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Truckersbish wrote:

Quote:
Alright my mom for one...she was raised around her uncle who smoked more than a coal train, yet she herself NEVER smoked....also there is no family history of asthma she found out in her 30's she has asthma and from what?! ...yes second hand smoke....her lungs were burned badly after yrs and yrs of being forced to breath in smoke. She suffers from it to this day and she is in her late 50's.
1) I said CANCER

2) Little children who are never exposed to smoke get Asthma.

3) Anyone who gets ANYTHING that late in life, has been subjected to MANY possible causes of whatever condition they get.

4) I'm not aware that one of the symptoms of asthma is a "burnt lung."

5) I sincerely send my sympathies to your Mom.

6) Did she work? If so where, and around what?
didnt you know golfhobo, George Bush causes huriicanes, global warming, earthquakes, persoanl bankruptcy, my pets dying and any other terrible thing....Smoking causes every single last form of cancer and disease known to man and any other thing that Bush doesnt cause. Ok, thats not entirely true...but what is true is that thhis country is turning into one GIANT plater of weiners that wont to work their way through life by complaining about what everyone else does. SHUT UP and live your life!!!!!!! non smokers breath worse crap walking down a city street in a busy city then they do sitting 20 feet away from a smoker for 30 minutes while they down their 12 oz steak and baked pottato with 1000 calories of butter and and sour cream and salt and oz upon oz of fatty ranch dressing drenched salad with their tom collins or 24 oz beer while their kids chows on deep fried chicken nuggets and french fries. What a joke people today have become. We are lucky we have a military to defend us because most of the people wouldnt do anything other than scream I AM OFFENDED if we were invaded and people started firing shots. The gun nuts would tell us we cant have our guns to shoot back and the smoking nuts would tell us the gun powder stinks and they dont want to smell it. GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !1
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 AM

What a bunch of phewie! Looks like everyone's taking this way too seriously. I think the point of the original post was that the smell left in a truck from smoking is harder to clean than the smell of an animal.

Personally, I don't care to argue the point of whether or not you will get cancer from living in a truck that was formerly lived in by a smoker. The point I'd like to make is I would prefer to not have to live in the funk of someone elses old stale smokey smelling truck. After all, you do spend more time in that truck than you do in your home. As a non-smoker, I would prefer a clean smelling truck.

I thought it nice that the person I spoke with at the trucking company I will be working for told me he would connect me with a non-smoking trainer. I hadn't even asked. So, I guess there are companies out there who are sensitive to the issue.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
As a non-smoker, I would prefer a clean smelling truck.
Me, too. I think overweight people ought to be charged a deposit, as well. They typically have bad BO. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
What a joke people today have become.
AMEN.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Gman said:
Quote:
That is a good idea. Charge smokers a deposit. I have been through that with my own trucks and drivers. You are correct. You cannot get all of the smell out of the truck. It would probably be a good idea to have separate trucks. One for smokers, another for non-smokers.
Gman I normally agree with you but on this one you are mis-informed.

When I owned a dry cleaner one of our operations was smoke removal. We had two systems 1) Was a room where we put items for smoke removal. 2) Was a portable unit where we could do whole house smoke removal. In 24 hours there was no smoke fumes. In fact they would come out smelling like a spring rain. While our units were built for commercial service units can be purchased for a lot less.

The units are commonly call Ozone cleaner.

Here one of many sites on Ozone generators:
http://www.lenntech.com/ozone.htm

As a side note for those that smoke Marijuana there is information on how to build your own Ozone Generator. Cost is around $70. The single largest cost is the high voltage transformer.

There is other benefits for using a Ozone Generator besides smoke removal. They do a good job on some kinds of mold as well as most odors.

The one thing you don't want to do stay in the room for very long while the unit is being used. You can get one big headache.

kc0iv

Kcoiv, I am not familiar with ozone cleaners. I may need to check into those. It is a shame we have to go to such expense to support someone's habit. :evil:
Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Overweight drivers don't cause trucking companies more money???

How about more mattresses? How about the seats breaking down?

I had one truck that an overweight guy (400+ lbs) used to drive. When I was assigned the truck, the bottom bunk in the truck was bent down in the middle. The seat cushions (both seats, as he had swapped the seats) were completely destroyed and the seatbacks were bent backwards.

You can't tell me that replacing those items is a normal process.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Overweight and smokers cause companies millions of dollars in added operational costs. Some complain about low pay. When employees cause their employer to spend more money, they need to cut costs in other areas, such as pay.