User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
none of the annoyances you mentioned will endanger anyones life or make them sick.
And there is not ONE single documented case of anyone getting cancer from second-hand smoke! In fact, I heard recently that MANY medical scientists are starting to question if smoking actually DOES cause cancer!

On the other hand.... it IS documented that letting your kids sit and play video games for HOURS instead of getting outside and getting exercise IS contributing to the growing problem (call it an epidemic) of OBESE children, who grow up to be OBESE adults! And it IS proven that this will shorten a lifespan!

Fast food replacements for balanced meals (veggies) is contributing to an epidemic of arterial sclerosis! And therefore STROKES!

And the "coddling" of our children, combined with the lack of "social interaction" is SURELY at the root of all or most of the high school shootings!

Where have YOU been? Get your head out of your butt! :roll:

Oh nevermind.... I see that you are TOO busy picketing my local BAR to make sure I don't smoke a cigarette in there while I'm getting Plastered before getting on the street with you and your family!

Let's talk about FARTING for a moment! Everytime you fart, you spray fecal matter into the air around me. Fecal matter can transmit AIDS! Smoke cannot!

Without scientific evidence of secondhand smoke causing cancer (which there IS none) your argument comes down to "quality of life" and you think YOU deserve more quality than me! I have sensitive ears, and screaming kids cause me pain and suffering! Can I get an injunction to keep YOU out of MY space???

I doubt it. But, the difference is.... "I'M" not the one crying about it!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
none of the annoyances you mentioned will endanger anyones life or make them sick.
And there is not ONE single documented case of anyone getting cancer from second-hand smoke! In fact, I heard recently that MANY medical scientists are starting to question if smoking actually DOES cause cancer!

On the other hand.... it IS documented that letting your kids sit and play video games for HOURS instead of getting outside and getting exercise IS contributing to the growing problem (call it an epidemic) of OBESE children, who grow up to be OBESE adults! And it IS proven that this will shorten a lifespan!

Fast food replacements for balanced meals (veggies) is contributing to an epidemic of arterial sclerosis! And therefore STROKES!

And the "coddling" of our children, combined with the lack of "social interaction" is SURELY at the root of all or most of the high school shootings!

Where have YOU been? Get your head out of your butt! :roll:

Oh nevermind.... I see that you are TOO busy picketing my local BAR to make sure I don't smoke a cigarette in there while I'm getting Plastered before getting on the street with you and your family!

Let's talk about FARTING for a moment! Everytime you fart, you spray fecal matter into the air around me. Fecal matter can transmit AIDS! Smoke cannot!

Without scientific evidence of secondhand smoke causing cancer (which there IS none) your argument comes down to "quality of life" and you think YOU deserve more quality than me! I have sensitive ears, and screaming kids cause me pain and suffering! Can I get an injunction to keep YOU out of MY space???

I doubt it. But, the difference is.... "I'M" not the one crying about it!
Wow, the number of asinine remarks in this post is astounding.

First off, as to no proven studies existing that link second-hand smoke to lung cancer, poke around some of these links for a bit, download some of the related studies.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...et/Tobacco/ETS
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...Indoor_Air.asp
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/research_...tsheet_ets.htm
http://progressreport.cancer.gov/doc...&coid=212&mid=

Secondly, letting you kids play video games causes them to be obese?
Playing video games are not the sole reason kids are obese, many things lead to that. Now, before you jump on your soap box, listen for just a second.

Video games, as any activity which does not burn calories, can contribute to weight gain. Any sedentary lifestyle can cause that, but it's also the chips, candy, soda, etc that kids eat WHILE playing video games. Couple that with the fact that kids don't get sufficient exercise in which to burn the calories consumed while playing video games. Let's not also forget that some people have a genetic disposition to that kind of thing. Ever notice that obese kids have obese parents, who in turn, have obese parents, etc?

I played video games as a kid and I still do, guess what? I don't weigh 300 pounds, I'm 6' tall and weigh roughly 170, which is a healthy weight for my height.

Going by your theory, I should be a huge tub of lard, right? I get enough exercise to maintain my weight. But ohs noes!!1!, I play video games and everyone knows video games = fat ass.
I fail to see the logic in your argument.

Third, "coddling" and lack of social interaction is THE cause of school shootings? What about mental / behavior issues such as paranoid schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder in which one personality is inherently violent? There are any number of reasons or contributing causes to that one.

Fourth, and the one I find most amusing, is that farting spews fecal matter into the air? How do you figure that? Are we all running around naked having never wiped our ass?

Seriously, for any solid matter to get past our undergarments and our pants, or other articles of clothing, it would have to be one hell of a fart.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I wasn't aware that driving a vehicle that stinks of smoke is a health hazard. Please provide some reliable documentation to support this.:roll:
Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Care to pull my finger and see if you get sick? I'm betting you will!

On a side note somewhere in 1 of these 3 topics about smoking ( to lazy to look where ) someone was talking about how smokers don't care about non smokers health and trash the world with there cigarette butts. I smoke, wish I didn't and maybe 1 day I'll quit, but I always try to think about non smokers. When I'm talking to one outside I stand down wind and hold my cigarette behind me, "IF" I even take a drag while talking I turn , and blow it down wind. I never let 1 hit the ground. I don't smoke in the car with my kids, I have 1 room in the house I smoke in "during the winter only" with window wide open, door shut and a fan in the window forcing the smoke out. This is just a few things My wife and I do, the list goes on.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who cares about non smokers. So please don't put all smokers in that category.
It's my right to smoke and some respect your right not to.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Board Icon

Ironweasel: From your first link:

"In summary, there is limited evidence from two cohort studies
(Hirayama, 1984; Reynolds et al., 1987) and one case-control study (Sandler
et al., 1985a) that exposure to spouses’ smoking may increase overall risk of
cancer in nonsmoking women. In one study, the increase is explained primarily
by an elevated risk observed for lung cancer (Hirayama, 1984).
However, in two studies, elevated risks were observed for sites not typically
related to active smoking, as well as sites related to smoking (Reynolds et
al., 1987; Sandler et al., 1985a). In the study by Reynolds et al. (1987), the
strong association between husbands’ smoking and smoking-related tumors
was based on very few cases, accounting for only 6 percent of all cancers.In the study by Sandler et al. (1985a), increased risks were observed for both
smoking-related (lung, cervix), and nonsmoking-related sites (breast and
endocrine gland) after adjustment for age and education. Although the
results on nonsmoking-related cancers are intriguing, they are difficult to
interpret
given that known risk factors for the specific cancers under study
were not adjusted for (Sandler et al., 1985a). Possible effects of potential
confounders are a concern and should be more carefully researched in further
studies. For example, sexual activity is a risk factor for cervical cancer
and exposure to ETS may be associated with sexual activity. Alcohol intake
is a risk factor for breast cancer and exposure to ETS may be positively associated
with alcohol use.

I don't know what YOU know about government studies, but I know what "I" know about them, and how they try very hard to earn their endowments!

I say again.... show me ONE documented case of known cancer originating from ETS (secondhand smoke.) The above summary says they can't prove not even ONE single case.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

This is reminding me of one of those "To Catch A Predator" shows, The guy is sitting there in cuffs and has pockets full of condoms and lubricants and other "gifts" yet EVERY one of these guys swears up and down that they were not there to have sex with the girl...

the STAGGERING majority of smokers throw their butts on the ground and there is no damn way they can NOT annoy people with their smoke even though they do not "mean to"... :roll:
Old 12-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Ironweasel: From your first link:

"In summary, there is limited evidence from two cohort studies
(Hirayama, 1984; Reynolds et al., 1987) and one case-control study (Sandler
et al., 1985a) that exposure to spouses’ smoking may increase overall risk of
cancer in nonsmoking women. In one study, the increase is explained primarily
by an elevated risk observed for lung cancer (Hirayama, 1984).
However, in two studies, elevated risks were observed for sites not typically
related to active smoking, as well as sites related to smoking (Reynolds et
al., 1987; Sandler et al., 1985a). In the study by Reynolds et al. (1987), the
strong association between husbands’ smoking and smoking-related tumors
was based on very few cases, accounting for only 6 percent of all cancers.In the study by Sandler et al. (1985a), increased risks were observed for both
smoking-related (lung, cervix), and nonsmoking-related sites (breast and
endocrine gland) after adjustment for age and education. Although the
results on nonsmoking-related cancers are intriguing, they are difficult to
interpret
given that known risk factors for the specific cancers under study
were not adjusted for (Sandler et al., 1985a). Possible effects of potential
confounders are a concern and should be more carefully researched in further
studies. For example, sexual activity is a risk factor for cervical cancer
and exposure to ETS may be associated with sexual activity. Alcohol intake
is a risk factor for breast cancer and exposure to ETS may be positively associated
with alcohol use.

I don't know what YOU know about government studies, but I know what "I" know about them, and how they try very hard to earn their endowments!

I say again.... show me ONE documented case of known cancer originating from ETS (secondhand smoke.) The above summary says they can't prove not even ONE single case.
Alright my mom for one...she was raised around her uncle who smoked more than a coal train, yet she herself NEVER smoked....also there is no family history of asthma she found out in her 30's she has asthma and from what?! ...yes second hand smoke....her lungs were burned badly after yrs and yrs of being forced to breath in smoke. She suffers from it to this day and she is in her late 50's.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Gman said:
Quote:
That is a good idea. Charge smokers a deposit. I have been through that with my own trucks and drivers. You are correct. You cannot get all of the smell out of the truck. It would probably be a good idea to have separate trucks. One for smokers, another for non-smokers.
Gman I normally agree with you but on this one you are mis-informed.

When I owned a dry cleaner one of our operations was smoke removal. We had two systems 1) Was a room where we put items for smoke removal. 2) Was a portable unit where we could do whole house smoke removal. In 24 hours there was no smoke fumes. In fact they would come out smelling like a spring rain. While our units were built for commercial service units can be purchased for a lot less.

The units are commonly call Ozone cleaner.

Here one of many sites on Ozone generators:
http://www.lenntech.com/ozone.htm

As a side note for those that smoke Marijuana there is information on how to build your own Ozone Generator. Cost is around $70. The single largest cost is the high voltage transformer.

There is other benefits for using a Ozone Generator besides smoke removal. They do a good job on some kinds of mold as well as most odors.

The one thing you don't want to do stay in the room for very long while the unit is being used. You can get one big headache.

kc0iv
Old 12-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
No comment, I'm in enouh trouble as it is. 8)
Very true statement, I think I will bring that up to my company to start charging drivers who smoke! l.o.l. No I won't to save those smokers the money, soon enough they will start doing that.
But I agree; VERY GOOD POINT!

Some dogs don't chew up things or tear anything up!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Board Icon

Ironweasel:

As for the rest of your post... you misquote and misconstrue my statements.

I said playing video games for hours - in lieu of exercise outdoors - CONTRIBUTES to obesity. Along with all the fatty snacks eaten during this time, and because of the lack of exercise. Anyone with a third grade education would KNOW what I meant. No one could say that video games themselves cause obesity. Give me a break!

I said coddling and lack of social interaction is at the root of the behaviour that leads to school shootings. You said: " What about mental / behavior issues such as paranoid schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder " Where do you think these mental abnormalities come from??? I stand by my statement. I don't think you have the required hours of college Psychology to debate me on it. Kids are shooting kids because they do not or cannot "identify" with them, as well as the lack of personal identity that comes from social interaction.

As for fecal matter? It is of the consistency of DUST! It can and does PASS THROUGH your clothing when you fart. It has DNA, and carries diseases if they are present. You may not realize it, but everytime your friend farts next to you, you are breathing AND swallowing his fecal matter! Gross but true! If you think you are only "passing wind" I submit that is the "wind" between your ears.

You may find that I sometimes get a bit carried away with my rhetoric, and may rant in general terms. But, you will have a hard time actually debunking what I say. You want to state an opposing OPINION of your own? Go ahead. But, think twice before you insinuate again that I am lying or blowing smoke up your azz!

I will check the other three links in due time, but I don't expect to see anything more than the usual "conjecture" and wishful analysis of those paid to combat the smoking industry. Have you noticed lately that the most dire warning on a cigarrette pack only says that cigarette smoke contains Carbon Monoxide? Well?? So does your car's exhaust pipe!

When YOU can pull off a ban of ALL vehicle emmissions, you can make me stop smoking in public. How's that?

In the meantime, if you can't show me ONE documented and PROVEN case that secondhand smoke caused a cancer, I suggest you quit your bitchin' and run home to mommy. Your veggies are getting cold.

Hobo