User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Sadly, a lot of people, and a lot of companies have the very same attitude about professional drivers!! Oh, but that's different, right? :wink:
Nope - it's completely identical. If they aren't making enough money at their current job, it is up to them to do something about it. It isn't up to the rest of us to supplement their income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Rev: I suspect you are only toying with me.... but I'll play along, as long as you don't take it personally. :lol:
You might be surprised.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
And have you ever seen people cleaning showers all day long? Must be a nasty job.
Sucks to be them. If they don't like it, I hear McDonald's is hiring.
Typical Conservative response!
Yup. We conservatives think people should actually WORK for their money. :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them.
So what? It's not my fault they took that job, and I don't set the rate, as I am not their employer. Let their boss give them a tip.
If you WERE their boss... would you pay any better? Or give them a tip for doing a GOOD job?
I wouldn't tip them, but as their employer, I would provide a wage that compensates them for the job they are doing - the better they do, the more they earn. Welcome to the good ol U.S. of A. :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's a couple of dollars to YOU?
A lot.
Sorry to hear you are so "strapped." I've got an extra "fiver" here that I was going to give to a shower attendant. If you NEED it more... I'll send it to YOU!
I'm not "strapped", and I didn't get this way by throwing money around uselessly, supplementing other people's income. I work hard to earn my money, and I expect the same of anyone who I am paying.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak.
Then I suggest they become truck drivers.
And you don't think some of them haven't TRIED? Maybe, that's why they want to work around Truckers!
I seriously doubt it, but if they did, then I would guess there is a reason that they aren't doing it anymore (I'll give you a hint - work ethic)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As a trucker, how would your life be WITHOUT those who clean your showers? If you don't get a free one with fuel, it costs you NINE dollars. If you get a free one - on your company - for buying fuel there, can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?
It isn't charity - it's a job. If the truckstop didn't clean the showers, they would lose business (not to mention probably get shut down due to health code violations).

Again, if they don't like the wage they are receiving, then it is up to them to do something about it.
If this were so... many truckstops I've stopped at would have NO business. Yet... they do! Again... a typical conservative "faith based" response!
No faith here - I'm an agnostic. And I vote with my dollars.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!
That is ridiculous. Gratuity is something you give to someone who goes ABOVE AND BEYOND. If they are "just doing their job", and not getting paid a living wage for it, then they don't deserve a tip.
Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS. Although, I share your concern that they should give good service, they are NOT making even minimum wage, and REGARDLESS of their level of service.... do you want your dinner tonight or not?
They chose to take that job, knowing full well that they would be counting on their customers for part of their income. If they have become so complacent that they feel they don't need to go "above and beyond" the norm to earn that income, then I feel no reason to go "above and beyond" paying my check.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!
So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. I don't expect tips from my customers, but I accept them graciously when I receive them. But, then again, I always go "above and beyond". If a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service, not only will I tip them, but I will REALLY tip them - sometimes more than the bill.
:lol: No... not political... geez, can't I make a simple statement about what I believe in?? My DAD is a Republican, and he spends 15 minutes after each meal "calculating" the 15% tip he feels "required" to leave. I have a simple system. Under $20 bucks they get $2 minimum. Whether a cheezy truckstop or a nice restaurant. OVER $20 bucks, I leave $3-4 dollars. If the service is EXCEPTIONAL, I leave $5 or more. Nice to know that one who thinks these people are stealing from you, will accept a gratuity if offered! :lol: As a "driver" I never HAVE and never WOULD! I get paid enough for "doing my job!" :wink:
The last time I ate out, I left no tip - I had to ask for items that were supposed to be included with my meal, and my wife had to ask for a refill of her hot water for tea - even though the waitress took the little cup that the water was in. The time before that, I left a $20 tip on a $60 check, as the waitress obviously took pride in her job, and deserved every penny.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you're offended by the request, ignore it (and your conscience.)
Just as you are ignoring the underlying problem.
Um... could you run that by me again? I thought I WAS responding to the "underlying" problem, or at least the O.P's question.
No - you are missing the real problem, that these employees of the truck stops aren't making a decent wage, and feel the need to beg the customers for money. If they feel they need to beg me for their income, they better give me a good reason to pay it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I never eat the candy. I flush my toilet, and pick up my towels. The rest is up to them. But... when I consider THEIR lot in life, compared to my own, I cannot be stingy. If they've got the hutzpah to ask for a tip.... I leave one. EVERY time!
I would take the little card to the manager of the truckstop, and tell him to start paying his employees a living wage.
And in doing so... you would continue the stereotype of the cheap, demanding, arrogant trucker that SOME of us are trying to change! I bet you would even eat the candy before doing so! :lol:
Cheap? You bet - I didn't get here by being frivolous.

Arrogant? Absolutely. I worked hard to get where I am, and expect others to do the same.

Eat the candy? No freakin way - I'm not putting anything near my mouth that someone cleaning bathrooms for a living put there for me.

Quote:
Now... don't go getting MAD at me, Rev! I'm only "playing" with you here. Unless.... of course... you are serious! :lol: :lol:
I'm absolutely serious, so I am expecting a flame war. :wink:

Old 09-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnamedShannon
Quote:
Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!
Actually, tipping is common primarily in the States and Canada. In most other countries it's considered insulting as it implies that the owners/bosses aren't paying their workers a fair wage.
Yeah I was talking to someone that just got back from Spain and he said if you tip a waiter there it is considered an insult. It means they are such bad waiters that they must get paid horribly for the job they do and need hand outs to get by.
Hmmm.... Well... I haven't "talked" to anyone who just got back from Europe lately, but I WAS there. I ate dinners in fancy restaurants in Spain, Germany, Italy, and Greece. If they didn't have their "hand out" while turning their backs, they just plain included it on the bill. In Greece, particularly, they were so used to being "stiffed" by American Soldiers, that they automatically included a 15% gratuity on ALL tickets for 2 people or more! (easy to miss, if you didn't SPEAK/READ the language.)

A cabbie would drop you at the end of the block if you paid him "meter" (which they didn't even use.) Give him a couple dollars TIP, and he'd wake you up in the morning and take you to work!

I never ONCE, in 2 years, had ANYONE refuse a tip. But... hey! Don't listen to ME!

The ENTIRE 3rd World operates on "gratuities" or "kickbacks." And they'll bend over backwards if it comes in American Dollars!

Have you ever been to Mexico on vacation?? :shock:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

[quote="golfhobo
Rev: I suspect you are only toying with me.... but I'll play along, as long as you don't take it personally. :lol:
You might be surprised.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yup. We conservatives think people should actually WORK for their money. :wink:

Not YOU of course!!!! Just the lackeys that you pay minimum wage to! Most "conservative" Money families haven't hit a lick themselves in 3 generations! Not since those evil Democrats abolished Slavery! :wink:

Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them. [/quote]

I wouldn't tip them, but as their employer, I would provide a wage that compensates them for the job they are doing - the better they do, the more they earn. Welcome to the good ol U.S. of A. :wink:

So... delivering the food to your table should pay as much as delivering produce to the grocery warehouse?

I'm not "strapped", and I didn't get this way by throwing money around uselessly, supplementing other people's income. I work hard to earn my money, and I expect the same of anyone who I am paying.

So... you've never bought a new/used car/truck on which the seller got a commission? Or a house? Or even a $8 CD (that cost $1.10 each to make?

can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?

It isn't charity - it's a job.

Again... a typical conservative "faith based" response!

No faith here - I'm an agnostic. And I vote with my dollars.

As do MOST Republicans. They give their dollars to the candidate who will bend the laws in their favor!

Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS. Although, I share your concern that they should give good service, they are NOT making even minimum wage, and REGARDLESS of their level of service.... do you want your dinner tonight or not?[/quote]

They chose to take that job, knowing full well that they would be counting on their customers for part of their income. If they have become so complacent that they feel they don't need to go "above and beyond" the norm to earn that income, then I feel no reason to go "above and beyond" paying my check.

And if the CUSTOMER has become so complacent that they don't feel they need to leave a tip? This is exactly why most finer restaurants include a "gratuity" in the ticket price. Because Americans are complacent and don't CARE about those who wait on them!

So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. I don't expect tips from my customers, but I accept them graciously when I receive them. But, then again, I always go "above and beyond". If a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service, not only will I tip them, but I will REALLY tip them - sometimes more than the bill.[/quote]

Well... I can't argue with THIS! I wonder if they have a "lottery" to decide WHO gets your special treatment?

:lol: No... not political... geez, can't I make a simple statement about what I believe in?? My DAD is a Republican, and he spends 15 minutes after each meal "calculating" the 15% tip he feels "required" to leave. I have a simple system. Under $20 bucks they get $2 minimum. Whether a cheezy truckstop or a nice restaurant. OVER $20 bucks, I leave $3-4 dollars. If the service is EXCEPTIONAL, I leave $5 or more. Nice to know that one who thinks these people are stealing from you, will accept a gratuity if offered! :lol: As a "driver" I never HAVE and never WOULD! I get paid enough for "doing my job!" :wink: [/quote]

The last time I ate out, I left no tip - I had to ask for items that were supposed to be included with my meal, and my wife had to ask for a refill of her hot water for tea - even though the waitress took the little cup that the water was in. The time before that, I left a $20 tip on a $60 check, as the waitress obviously took pride in her job, and deserved every penny.

So... if your shower is dirty, you won't leave a tip.... but if they took pride in making it clean and hospitable to you... you'll leave $20?

No - you are missing the real problem, that these employees of the truck stops aren't making a decent wage, and feel the need to beg the customers for money. If they feel they need to beg me for their income, they better give me a good reason to pay it.

So, as a Conservative, you not only want them to BEG you for a living wage... but want them to give you a good reason why they SHOULD be begging you?

Cheap? You bet - I didn't get here by being frivolous.

NOR compassionate!

Arrogant? Absolutely. I worked hard to get where I am, and expect others to do the same.

And if they need a little help, like many who come to this board, you will tell them to just "eat cake?"

Eat the candy? No freakin way - I'm not putting anything near my mouth that someone cleaning bathrooms for a living put there for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well... you GOT me there! :lol:

I'm absolutely serious, so I am expecting a flame war. :wink:

Sorry.... Democrats don't believe in Flaming wars! That's the purview of the Conservatives! WE believe in discussion! :lol:

Old 09-25-2006, 04:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Number 1.

The people that are employed to clean the showers are NOT considered wait staff per IRS definition, therefore they are paid a minimum of Federal minimum wage per Federal law.

Number 2.

You can not bring your own political persuasion into a conversation and then say that the conversation is NOT political. The OP just asked a question about tipping. Stay on topic and leave the politics out of it, it is a non-partisan debate. If you need to discuss something political, we have those topics in the anything and everything and current events.

Any further political discussion when it is clearly a different topic will find this thread locked.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Tipping is for personal services. Waitress, barber, manicurist, etc. The janitorial staff does not rate a tip. Otherwise why not tip the guy who is out picking up trash in the parking lot. I hate it when you go to the counter to order something and there is a tip jar there. I never drop money in the jar, no personal service was extended. I do tip my barber and waiters and waitresses. Why not put a tip jar on the back of your trailer?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoe
Number 1.

The people that are employed to clean the showers are NOT considered wait staff per IRS definition, therefore they are paid a minimum of Federal minimum wage per Federal law.

So... what... $5.15/hr? times 40 hours/wk = $206 gross/week. After taxes, maybe $175. Times 4 weeks is $600 net a month. Can you manage a family of 4 on that? If they clean the same 10 showers 3 times a day, and get $1 tip on each, that's an additional $30 dollars a day, or an additional $600 a month. Still not "movin' on up!" but maybe livable. the baby will get milk.

The references to BELOW minimum wage jobs WERE clearly defined as Wait staff positions for the purpose of our discussion. [which was friendly.] And I don't even want to DO the math on what THEY would take home if they got no tips!

Number 2.

You can not bring your own political persuasion into a conversation and then say that the conversation is NOT political. The OP just asked a question about tipping. Stay on topic and leave the politics out of it, it is a non-partisan debate. If you need to discuss something political, we have those topics in the anything and everything and current events.

I hear ya, Scoe. And I'm sorry if it came out that way. I guess I'm guilty. But... I cannot "check" my political beliefs at the door either. I believe and feel the way I do. But... I didn't MEAN to make it a political discussion. I thought the Rev and I were just having some fun! It was really more about being a "skinflint" or "cheapskate" than any particular political party membership. The last co-driver I had, wouldn't even leave a DOLLAR at the Petro, for a $12.00 tab for dinner. I was EMBARRASSED to be seen with him! And, funny enough, this VERY conversation came up when he read the little card in the VERY nice showers we took at the Boise Stage Stop! (where I left $2) But... I get your point. I didn't mean to make it political. I'll be more carefull! But people will have a different answer for this Original poster, based on their upbringing. Mine is one of benevolence. EVEN though my parents are of a different political party than I am. But, I find it hard to JUSTIFY a person's LACK of benevolence based on anything BUT his "political" upbringing. Perhaps this is MY failing. And I will take your warning to heart. AND your instruction to keep my answers ON TOPIC!

Any further political discussion when it is clearly a different topic will find this thread locked.

ZIP!! LOCK!! MUMS the WORD!! Not another word from ME about WHO might or might NOT tip the less fortunate! I guess it's more a PERSONAL thing. You either TIP or you DON'T.

BTW.... did y'all get my check?? :lol:

Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Have you ever been to Mexico on vacation?? :shock:
I go to Mexico all the time and I must say, they are the most appreciative people when it comes to tipping. They never act like they expect it.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Rookie
Default yipping shower attendants

If one does a good job a tip would be nice just like any other service job
Old 09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I have tipped for exceptional showers - but it has to be exactly that - exceptional.

I could pretty much count on one hand the amount of times I've left a tip. On the other side, I've had showers where I wished I could bathe in bleach to get the shower funk off of me....
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS.
Expected, yes. And a good waitress/waiter in even a semi-decent sit-down restuarant can and will clear $10 to $15 an hour when you add in the tips. In better restuarants. that figure is a lot higher. I knew plenty of them that made $50K or better per year to work part-time. I knew a couple of others that worked full time that made money that would make you cry, particularly since very few of them report all their tips because of of the tax they would then have to pay.

Quote:
I have always known that Waiters/Waitresses are paid a sub-minimum wage with an expected tip considered part of their wage. I've had a few waitresses tell me that their W2 tax forms actually include an assumed tip for each receipt that they ring up and if you "stiff them" they actual pay on money they didn't get.
Incorrect and if they are telling you that, they are lying to you. A waiter/waitress is expected to report their tips, as it is income. A restuarant, on a WEEKLY basis, must calculate the hourly wage of those individuals and in cases where the hourly payrate PLUS the tips do not equal minimum wage, the restuarant must pay the extra in the form of hourly income. Most waiters/waitresses will actually report just enough or a little more, to clear the minimum wage, when in effect they are taking home a lot more. Personally, I don't have a problem with that...it's all up to the waiter/waitress, as long as they're reporting enough so that the restuarant doesn't have to cough up. The rest, then, is between them and the government.