User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question on Shower Etiquette

While I have some time, I have a question, this may sound silly, but I am serious.

I've noticed in a few shower stalls at some truck stops, a little card that says something like:

"This shower was cleaned for you by__________, if you have any concerns please see me."

This seems to add a personal touch to your shower, my question is, are we expected to tip the shower attendant? Do any of you tip the shower attendant?

I have never left a tip in the shower. (and some sure wouldn't deserve it, when simple things like an unflushed toilet are left)
Old 09-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have actually seen a couple leave a note requesting tips. While I appreciate the job these people do, I have yet to see any of them do a job which would require a tip. After all, we are talking about a truck stop not a four star hotel.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California
Default Re: Question on Shower Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_dude_in_michigan
my question is, are we expected to tip the shower attendant? Do any of you tip the shower attendant?
Only if they get into the shower with you and wash your back......
Old 09-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Question on Shower Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_dude_in_michigan
While I have some time, I have a question, this may sound silly, but I am serious.

I've noticed in a few shower stalls at some truck stops, a little card that says something like:

"This shower was cleaned for you by__________, if you have any concerns please see me."

This seems to add a personal touch to your shower, my question is, are we expected to tip the shower attendant? Do any of you tip the shower attendant?

I have never left a tip in the shower. (and some sure wouldn't deserve it, when simple things like an unflushed toilet are left)
I've seem several showers I would agree leave alot left wanting.

At other times I have seem some that you could tell the attendant went above standards to do a good job.

In the first case she/he got nothing. In the second case I left a tip.

I feel there is no difference with these workers than a waitress. Good service gets a tip. Bad service don't.

kc0iv
Old 09-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Board Regular
Default I have . .

. . very rarely. The TA in Troutdale a couple of times, the TA way down south on I-15 in Utah, to name a few. In both cases, the attendants were friendly and of foreign persuasion and the showers were immaculate. There have been a few others, especially if the card is out AND they leave candy . .
Old 09-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Board Icon

Most "chain" truckstops don't practice this. Bosselman's (Pilots) do, and Jubitz in Portland, and the Boise Stage Stop. I'm sure there are others. I've found that those who do have REALLY nice showers! Very clean and spacious! To ME, this is important. And have you ever seen people cleaning showers all day long? Must be a nasty job.

Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them. What's a couple of dollars to YOU? To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak.

As a trucker, how would your life be WITHOUT those who clean your showers? If you don't get a free one with fuel, it costs you NINE dollars. If you get a free one - on your company - for buying fuel there, can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?

Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!

A Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!

If you're offended by the request, ignore it (and your conscience.)

I never eat the candy. I flush my toilet, and pick up my towels. The rest is up to them. But... when I consider THEIR lot in life, compared to my own, I cannot be stingy. If they've got the hutzpah to ask for a tip.... I leave one. EVERY time!

And I feel better about myself for having done so!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Board Regular

VERY WELL SAID 8)
Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
VERY WELL SAID 8)
YUP!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
And have you ever seen people cleaning showers all day long? Must be a nasty job.
Sucks to be them. If they don't like it, I hear McDonald's is hiring.

Quote:
Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them.
So what? It's not my fault they took that job, and I don't set the rate, as I am not their employer. Let their boss give them a tip.

Quote:
What's a couple of dollars to YOU?
A lot.

Quote:
To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak.
Then I suggest they become truck drivers.

Quote:
As a trucker, how would your life be WITHOUT those who clean your showers? If you don't get a free one with fuel, it costs you NINE dollars. If you get a free one - on your company - for buying fuel there, can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?
It isn't charity - it's a job. If the truckstop didn't clean the showers, they would lose business (not to mention probably get shut down due to health code violations).

Again, if they don't like the wage they are receiving, then it is up to them to do something about it.

Quote:
Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!
That is ridiculous. Gratuity is something you give to someone who goes ABOVE AND BEYOND. If they are "just doing their job", and not getting paid a living wage for it, then they don't deserve a tip.

Quote:
Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!
So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. I don't expect tips from my customers, but I accept them graciously when I receive them. But, then again, I always go "above and beyond". If a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service, not only will I tip them, but I will REALLY tip them - sometimes more than the bill.

Quote:
If you're offended by the request, ignore it (and your conscience.)
Just as you are ignoring the underlying problem.

Quote:
I never eat the candy. I flush my toilet, and pick up my towels. The rest is up to them. But... when I consider THEIR lot in life, compared to my own, I cannot be stingy. If they've got the hutzpah to ask for a tip.... I leave one. EVERY time!
I would take the little card to the manager of the truckstop, and tell him to start paying his employees a living wage.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Actually, tipping is common primarily in the States and Canada. In most other countries it's considered insulting as it implies that the owners/bosses aren't paying their workers a fair wage.