Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlnamedShannon
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!
Actually, tipping is common primarily in the States and Canada. In most other countries it's considered insulting as it implies that the owners/bosses aren't paying their workers a fair wage.
Yeah I was talking to someone that just got back from Spain and he said if you tip a waiter there it is considered an insult. It means they are such bad waiters that they must get paid horribly for the job they do and need hand outs to get by.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Then I suggest they become truck drivers.
I had someone come to my door a while back asking for money to help keep him off the street. I asked him how his driving record was, he seemed shocked and then said "It's fine". I told him that he could make a lot more driving a truck than going door to door and there is no unemployment in trucking. He told me that he makes great money doing this and he hates driving, to which I responded "If you make so much money you don't need a hand out from me."
Old 09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. st, ignore it (and your conscience.)
I KNEW there was a reason I like you!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I've tipped shower attendants for good service, and I agree with Golfhobo here.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Sucks to be them. If they don't like it, I hear McDonald's is hiring.

So what? It's not my fault they took that job, and I don't set the rate, as I am not their employer.

[quote: Golf:] What's a couple of dollars to YOU?
A lot.

[quote: Golf"]

To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak. [/quote]

Reverand(?) V:

Again, if they don't like the wage they are receiving, then it is up to them to do something about it.

Sadly, a lot of people, and a lot of companies have the very same attitude about professional drivers!! Oh, but that's different, right? :wink:
Old 09-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
A Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!

If you're offended by the request, ignore it (and your conscience.)
Sorry, I can't quite ignore that. You as a Democrat are no different than any other human, except for your attitude.

As a Republican I prefer to keep my money away from the Government so that I have the ability to donate to worthy causes and needy people. I don't like working hard and paying taxes so that there can be 10,000 government bureaucrats making $90,000 per year between me and the people that need my help.

If people need something I am glad to help, but I strongly dislike to line the pockets of government "administrators" who don't contribute to society.

I agree with Rev V. about tipping:
People who do a job better than required or go above and beyond the call of duty are rewarded with an appropriate tip. I tip generously, generally $5 for good service for a meal. $3 to $4 if they never checked if I needed anything. $1.75 in change if they never refilled my drinks, and I leave the change under the empty glass so that they know why their tip was low. By the way I eat cheaply so $5 is usually 30% to 50% of the bill.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Board Icon

Rev: I suspect you are only toying with me.... but I'll play along, as long as you don't take it personally. :lol:

Quote:
Quote:
And have you ever seen people cleaning showers all day long? Must be a nasty job.
Sucks to be them. If they don't like it, I hear McDonald's is hiring.

Typical Conservative response!

Quote:
Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them.
So what? It's not my fault they took that job, and I don't set the rate, as I am not their employer. Let their boss give them a tip.

If you WERE their boss... would you pay any better? Or give them a tip for doing a GOOD job?

Quote:
What's a couple of dollars to YOU?
A lot.

Sorry to hear you are so "strapped." I've got an extra "fiver" here that I was going to give to a shower attendant. If you NEED it more... I'll send it to YOU!

Quote:
To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak.
Then I suggest they become truck drivers.

And you don't think some of them haven't TRIED? Maybe, that's why they want to work around Truckers!

Quote:
As a trucker, how would your life be WITHOUT those who clean your showers? If you don't get a free one with fuel, it costs you NINE dollars. If you get a free one - on your company - for buying fuel there, can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?
It isn't charity - it's a job. If the truckstop didn't clean the showers, they would lose business (not to mention probably get shut down due to health code violations).

Again, if they don't like the wage they are receiving, then it is up to them to do something about it.

If this were so... many truckstops I've stopped at would have NO business. Yet... they do! Again... a typical conservative "faith based" response!

Quote:
Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!
That is ridiculous. Gratuity is something you give to someone who goes ABOVE AND BEYOND. If they are "just doing their job", and not getting paid a living wage for it, then they don't deserve a tip.

Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS. Although, I share your concern that they should give good service, they are NOT making even minimum wage, and REGARDLESS of their level of service.... do you want your dinner tonight or not?

Quote:
Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!
So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. I don't expect tips from my customers, but I accept them graciously when I receive them. But, then again, I always go "above and beyond". If a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service, not only will I tip them, but I will REALLY tip them - sometimes more than the bill.

:lol: No... not political... geez, can't I make a simple statement about what I believe in?? My DAD is a Republican, and he spends 15 minutes after each meal "calculating" the 15% tip he feels "required" to leave. I have a simple system. Under $20 bucks they get $2 minimum. Whether a cheezy truckstop or a nice restaurant. OVER $20 bucks, I leave $3-4 dollars. If the service is EXCEPTIONAL, I leave $5 or more. Nice to know that one who thinks these people are stealing from you, will accept a gratuity if offered! :lol: As a "driver" I never HAVE and never WOULD! I get paid enough for "doing my job!" :wink:

Quote:
Just as you are ignoring the underlying problem.

Um... could you run that by me again? I thought I WAS responding to the "underlying" problem, or at least the O.P's question.

Quote:
I never eat the candy. I flush my toilet, and pick up my towels. The rest is up to them. But... when I consider THEIR lot in life, compared to my own, I cannot be stingy. If they've got the hutzpah to ask for a tip.... I leave one. EVERY time!
I would take the little card to the manager of the truckstop, and tell him to start paying his employees a living wage.
And in doing so... you would continue the stereotype of the cheap, demanding, arrogant trucker that SOME of us are trying to change! I bet you would even eat the candy before doing so! :lol:

Now... don't go getting MAD at me, Rev! I'm only "playing" with you here. Unless.... of course... you are serious! :lol: :lol:

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

i think everyone should tip at dinners. I dont know about showers (dont drive OTR) But me and my girlfriend go to ruby tuesday atlest 2 times a week i love the place. The bill is allways 22-25 dollers. I will leave a tip of 5-7 bucks depending if they where good or not. But i will allways leave something. Am just happy to see people working and not sitting on there ass on fake workmens comp cliams or wellfare. Buy the way i am a Republican.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Board Icon

Rawlco: So nice to see you again! Too bad I had to say something "political" to get you to re-engage! :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
Quote:
A Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!

Sorry, I can't quite ignore that. You as a Democrat are no different than any other human, except for your attitude.

Um... thanks... I THINK! :lol: But, I don't think it is just "attitude." More like "beliefs." And I'm OBVIOUSLY different from the Rev, who thinks wait staff should be able to LIVE on $2.35/hr without tips!

As a Republican I prefer to keep my money away from the Government so that I have the ability to donate to worthy causes and needy people. I don't like working hard and paying taxes so that there can be 10,000 government bureaucrats making $90,000 per year between me and the people that need my help.

See... this is where I agree with you! I also have a "conservative" side. I don't like paying taxes either, especially so that government can "expand." Note that the recent Republican administration has expanded gov't MORE than any Dem administration in the past! Problem is that if left up to THEM, MOST conservatives will NOT give enough to the poor and needy to do the job, EVEN when getting HUGE tax credits from the republican administration. The rich get richer, and the poor don't get enough to get by. This creates a "caste system" in this country, not unlike that in India in the past.

If people need something I am glad to help, but I strongly dislike to line the pockets of government "administrators" who don't contribute to society.

Yet your conservative "friends" do it every day! Lining the pockets of so-called "democratically elected" officials in order to get favorable tax rulings, greenhouse gas rulings, immigration rulings, and the list goes on!

I agree with Rev V. about tipping:
People who do a job better than required or go above and beyond the call of duty are rewarded with an appropriate tip. I tip generously, generally $5 for good service for a meal. $3 to $4 if they never checked if I needed anything. $1.75 in change if they never refilled my drinks, and I leave the change under the empty glass so that they know why their tip was low. By the way I eat cheaply so $5 is usually 30% to 50% of the bill.

I am SO glad that you are so generous with your tips - to those who are making LESS than minimum wage! I'm sure you sleep WELL at night. And I suppose you expect them to pay for medical expenses for their children out of that "fiver" you left them... since they don't get any medical benefits EITHER with their job.

The day YOU can show me how you could live on $2.35/hr and tips, with NO medical, you can lecture ME about how the lower class benefits from conservative "faith based' initiatives. Meanwhile.... I'd just as soon the fat cat Republicans don't get so many tax breaks, pay a fair amount of what they make (no more) and share the burden of support for those upon whose backs they've made their millions.

I'm somewhat conservative, too. I don't like p*ssing down a hole! But, I am REQUIRED by my allegiance to the Constitution, to ensure that ALL Americans have at least a CHANCE at the American Dream!

I'm willing to negotiate the terms of how to do this.... but ONLY after the playing field is equal. We are the richest country in the history of the world... yet we have a "caste system" not unlike the third world country of India!

Hey... don't take what I say as "personal." I'm just responding to an IDEA you posted! If you want to overthrow the government, and remake it... I'm all for it! I've even got the plans! I don't like paying taxes EITHER, but as long as I DO... I don't like Republicans getting all the exemptions from doing so!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses. I have always known that Waiters/Waitresses are paid a sub-minimum wage with an expected tip considered part of their wage. I've had a few waitresses tell me that their W2 tax forms actually include an assumed tip for each receipt that they ring up and if you "stiff them" they actual pay on money they didn't get. In light of that, it takes REALLY bad service for me to not leave at least a buck. Most of the time I leave 20-25%. I also take into consideration how busy the place is and how much time they CAN allot to me.

Being new to driving, the shower thing was something I was not familiar with, so I wasn't sure what was expected.

Knowing that MOST of my showers are free, after my company picks up the fuel tab, I guess a buck or 2 might not be a bad idea to leave, based on the condition I find the shower in.

Quote:
I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!
I'm an Air America Radio listening Liberal Democrat. While things might be changing, we seem to be an under represented demographic in this profession. Glad to meet another Democrat in this line of work.