View Poll Results: Can you get another CDL job within 1 year after your 1st offense?
Yes 14 66.67%
No 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Looks like your only option is to get a local job for a while and get your bills caught up, and then maybe in 6 months to a years you can take that refresher course and re-apply to trucking companies and begin again if you are so inclined.

Just remember, that any accident that you are in you need to list if it happened within the time frame asked for. Even if you are unsure it will show up on your DAC or MVR it is better to list it when no needed than to have it go the other way.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:17 PM

you know this thread brings up a question.. what if a company puts something on your DAC that you dont know about?? (for instance as happened to me antoher driver backing in busted the mirror off my tractor I was not in the truck I was inside unloading frieght, this was put on my DAC as a preventable to me!) I have since gotten it removed and quit that outfit but had I applied to another company I would not have known about it.

Do companies take this sort of thing into account or not?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Usually not. They look at it as you were trying to hide something.

If you are ever involved in an accident, especially in a CMV, list it on the application. Companies do not really care if you put down non preventable and it gets listed as preventable on your DAC..what they are really concerned with is that you list it.

Better to have it on you application and have them wondering why they can not find info about it from the company you were working for than the other way around.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez498
That is one of your mistakes right there. Not disclosing the accident. There probably would have been a good chance of them hiring you if you had told them up front. Its seems to be the norm now days I had an accident and I lied on my application trying to hide it or I have a drug conviction or I failed a pee test why wont someone hire me. It is just getting a tad ridicules. If I lie or did any of the above things I would thank my lucky stars if McDonalds would hire me.
Sanchez, i do respect your opinions. However, if i did disclose the accident on my application, they will still not touch me for 1 full year or several years after that. I also asked for my drug/alcohol form which is also full of BS, C.R. England NEVER once offered me a drug test until AFTER they fired me. To add insult to injury to this, they had the gaul to inform USIS on 10/18/2004, which i left the company on 11/07/2003.

When i went to Transport America roughly 7 months after leaving England, they did not run a DAC report, they also had the gaul to stick a failed drug test on me, which they reported to USIS on 06/18/2004.
Transport America NEVER once offered me a drug test, they suspected i was taking drugs while with a trainer. I left Transport America for the dentist due to severe tooth pains.

As far as working for Mcdonalds, i am working through a few temporary services here where i live just to generate some form of income.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:44 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

So, you're looking at a term for an accident at England and a term for a failed drug test at Transport America? And you have about 6 months of experience? Hate to be blunt and too the point, but you have about zero chance of getting on somewhere driving.

For what it's worth, in the first place, a transportation company is REQUIRED by law to drug test a new employee before they even look at a truck. I know for a fact that despite England's shortcomings, they drug test 1st day in orienation. So does TA. It is simply inconceivable for them to risk a 6 digit government fine because they did not.

Additionally, a company that falsely puts a failed drug test on your job history, whether on USIS/DAC or on a faxed employment verification, is setting themselves up for a lawsuit from the driver and serious fines from the government . It's one thing to give a bad report on a driver...quite another to falsify a drug test report.

Finally, it doesn't really matter if you list it on a job application, either. Both England and TA report to DAC and both are required by law to drug test while you are there and to furnish any drug testing information for the last 36 months. Both companies will report complete accident and safety information and will also report all drug testing information. Many companies order reports from DAC...they will see the reports. Those companies that do not order from DAC, will call them and receive faxes detailing all safety information and drug and alcohol information. Either way, the company you are applying for will get all the information.

So, as far as driving, your only hope then is too leave both companies off of your application and that creates a whole new set of problems for you on falsifying the employment app.

So, basically, you're going to have to put your driving career on hold. Your best bet is to redirect your career, get into something and stay stable for about 3 years. At that point, the accident is 4 years old and the failed drug test is 3 years old. The drug test, at that point, can no longer be reported by the company. Start all over from scratch at that point....new schooling, new training, new company.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
So, you're looking at a term for an accident at England and a term for a failed drug test at Transport America? And you have about 6 months of experience? Hate to be blunt and too the point, but you have about zero chance of getting on somewhere driving.
To clear this up, i did take a pre-employment drug screen for both companies :!: However, with England, they did NOT give me a drug screen for the accident until AFTER they fired me. With TA, they NEVER did ask me to go to Eagan, MN., take a drug test BEFORE i left the company for the dentist.

Quote:
For what it's worth, in the first place, a transportation company is REQUIRED by law to drug test a new employee before they even look at a truck. I know for a fact that despite England's shortcomings, they drug test 1st day in orienation. So does TA. It is simply inconceivable for them to risk a 6 digit government fine because they did not.
You didn't read what i wrote careful enough, TF, however, i was not specific enough either.

Quote:
Additionally, a company that falsely puts a failed drug test on your job history, whether on USIS/DAC or on a faxed employment verification, is setting themselves up for a lawsuit from the driver and serious fines from the government . It's one thing to give a bad report on a driver...quite another to falsify a drug test report.
This is the point i tried to make when i stated that England and TA did not offer or asked me to take a drug/alcohol test BEFORE leaving the company, they simply fired me then stuck it on me without my knowledge or consent.

Quote:
Finally, it doesn't really matter if you list it on a job application, either. Both England and TA report to DAC and both are required by law to drug test while you are there and to furnish any drug testing information for the last 36 months. Both companies will report complete accident and safety information and will also report all drug testing information. Many companies order reports from DAC...they will see the reports. Those companies that do not order from DAC, will call them and receive faxes detailing all safety information and drug and alcohol information. Either way, the company you are applying for will get all the information.

So, as far as driving, your only hope then is too leave both companies off of your application and that creates a whole new set of problems for you. Your best bet is to redirect your career, get into something and stay stable for about 3 years. At that point, the accident is 4 years old and the failed drug test is 3 years old. The drug test, at that point, can no longer be reported by the company. Start all over from scratch at that point....new schooling, new training, new company.
Starting anew is a slow process and also a messed up as well. Within the next 4 years, my cdl will have expired. I knew this will end up screwing me over. :x
Old 02-07-2005, 07:49 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
You didn't read what i wrote careful enough, TF, however, i was not specific enough either.
OK, I see what you're saying now. It appeared you said you didn't take a pre-employment drug test. But you are actually saying that they didn't give you a drug test after they terminated you. I'm not sure what the regulations are on all terminations, but if it's an accident requiring a police presence, they must do that at the very least. Is it possible they made the request and you didn't report? That would go down as a refusal.

Still, regardless of what happened, I still say you're pretty much screwed for about the next 3 years. Yes, your CDL will have expired, but there is really nothing else you can do right now. Let it go and start over when things are further behind you.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:26 AM

Why would your CDL expire.. Just renew it..It's just a drivers license when it's up you go and renew.. You dont have to drive a truck to keep your CDL..

As to the rest of the story I humbly reserve an opinion..
Old 02-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Still, regardless of what happened, I still say you're pretty much screwed for about the next 3 years. Yes, your CDL will have expired, but there is really nothing else you can do right now. Let it go and start over when things are further behind you.
I do see what your saying here, TF. After leaving England, other companies like J.B. Hunt, WH Transport, Stevens Transport and the like asked me why i didn't put the accident on my application, i honestly told them if i did, they still refuse me a job and it also happened x amount of months ago after they called me. Also, they still would of ran my DAC and MVR reports and it still would of shown up even though i would of been honest on the application or not.

Sanchez, if your reading this as well, being honest or not, when those other companies started calling me, they would not touch me until i served that 1 full year suspention due to the accident. I needed a job badly, however, it looks like i screwed myself even futher by applying time and again without being honest from the start.

As i stated in a previous post, i might as well shred this damn CDL and stay out of trucking permantly. Guess i wasted 3 weeks of my time to get a CDL for nothing :!:
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper01

As i stated in a previous post, i might as well shred this damn CDL and stay out of trucking permantly. Guess i wasted 3 weeks of my time to get a CDL for nothing :!:
Not true you still have a few options. Concrete trucks and I know you said you tried dump truck companys. But did you try any small O/O dump trucks that have 3 or 4 trucks?