User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How about instaead of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smrt discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

They seem to be the party of nothingness. They stand for nothing while opposing everything.

Bravo GMAN(That is until I go down to the Next thread on Fuel Costs) :P
Old 05-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

How about insteaad of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smart discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures
Old 05-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One

How about instaead of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smrt discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures
I already suggested developing alternative fuel sources; that seemed to go over like a smelly fart in a crowded church !! :P
Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

YUP, its the american way, blame everyone else for your problems, throw some bombs at 'em and never do anything to actually help your situation in the long run...A lot of bitching and moaning and not doing anything about it... Blame yourself for your own screwups!
Old 05-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
How about instead of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smart discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures

Well, lets discuss things that could be done. If I previously mentioned this just consider this a senior moment but may move things in a more positive direction.

A few months ago I stopped at a Love's in Midlothian, TX. I have been wanting to talk to some drivers who have been running bio-diesel. I got to talking to this driver who told me that his company has a small fleet and are refining their own fuel. According to him, it wasn't that difficult or expensive to do. A couple of years ago I read about a guy in Atlanta who had some trucks. No, they weren't class 8 but were 1/2 ton trucks with utility beds. I don't recall the business he was in or number of trucks. He is apparently refining his own fuel for his trucks in his kitchen.

Now, if these people can do this in a cost effective manner, why can't others. Imagine if some of the major trucking companies would start refining their own fuel. They might save millions. :shock: If they could just cut their fuel costs by $1/gallon they would greatly improve their bottom line and help the environment at the same time. If fuel could be refined more locally, it would not be necessary to have a huge distribution network or pipeline established. Distribution costs would be virtually eliminated. :wink: If these refineries could use corn and other renewable sources we would no longer need to worry about foreign oil supplies. If we could use some of the things we normally throw into landfills, that would solve another problem.

I read the other day that there were approximately 5MM trucks across the nation. If we could only supply 10% of these with an alternate fuel source that would save approximately 5MM gallons of fuel a day. (5MM x 10% = 500M trucks.) 500,000 trucks x 100 gallons per day = 50,000,000 gallons of fuel. At $3/gallon that is $150MM (That's million) If you could save $1/gallon on 50MM gallons of diesel you would save $50 million per day.

I could like that.......A LOT!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Rookie
Location: Somewhere between alberta and manitoba, north of north dakota

Land+Seed+Good Growing Conditions+Fertilizer+herbicide+pesticide= Corn

large amount of energy must be spent in the process of getting seeds turned into more seeds. Then more energy must be spent getting these seeds to a facility that can turn them into biodiesel

I would like to know if biodiesel is really as efficient as diesel
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Biodiesel has been used in Europe successfully for a lot of years. The research has been done long ago. Biodiesel can be made out of all kinds of stuff...Think of it like 'Back to the future III' where they throw a beercan and banana-peel into a 'Mr.Fusion' :lol:
At a trucking show, I saw a Biodiesel refinery!! A functional refinery that fits into my little office- maybe 12 ft. tall and 6 ft. wide.

Why the US is the only Industrialized nation that resists alternate fuels is suspect...But things can be done. It wont be cheap, but if we spent what we spend to kidnapp suspected terrorists in Europe, we could surely build a small Bio-refinery.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjt030
Land+Seed+Good Growing Conditions+Fertilizer+herbicide+pesticide= Corn

large amount of energy must be spent in the process of getting seeds turned into more seeds. Then more energy must be spent getting these seeds to a facility that can turn them into biodiesel

I would like to know if biodiesel is really as efficient as diesel

From what I understand in reading and talking to some who have used biodiesel is that it burns much more efficiently and cleaner than regular diesel. I have been cautioned a couple of times to keep a couple of extra fuel filters, because biodiesel will clean everything out of your tanks and fuel lines. I have also be told that fuel mileage is somewhat better running biodiesel. I would like to try it myself. I prefer first hand knowledge concerning this type of thing. Even if mileage is the same as we now get, it would be better to use because of the reduction in use of standard fossil fuels. The only negative I have read or heard is the fuel filter thing.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I had read an article about that, the amount of energy it takes to make bio-diesel. To grow and plant the seeds, harvest the product, create more seeds, then refine the product to make bio-diesel.

The article said it takes more energy to make bio-diesel than what energy can be created from the bio-diesel its self. If that is the case and demand is high on bio-diesel would'nt we see the prices just as high as standard diesel? And then what affect will that have on the price of gasoline?